• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do both girls and boys wolf whistle?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It doesn't happen much now, thank goodness. At uni i hated walking past building sites which were renowned for the whistles whenever a girl walked past.

I have seen girls wolf whistle but its mostly boys who do it.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
It doesn't happen much now, thank goodness. At uni i hated walking past building sites which were renowned for the whistles whenever a girl walked past.

I have seen girls wolf whistle but its mostly boys who do it.

It's hard to judge the fine line between compliment and harassment these days. I tend to avoid giving compliments these days to anyone other than my wife and daughter.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do both girls and boys wolf whistle?:)

I've seen it more in old movies and TV shows than in real life.

Like in the opening scene of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds, a young boy whistles at Tippi Hedron, who looks back and smiles at him.

When I was younger, I think most guys thought it was a compliment and that women enjoyed being cat-called and whistled it. Now, it's different, and I think most men are aware that it's not okay to do those things.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I don't think it's common for either gender. Most see it as disrespectful these days

Which is why I have to chirp like a bird instead of whistle like a wolf at women walking by. So far, none of them have looked at me with disgust. Instead, they look up at the trees and buildings.

Viker

Häxan
I once made a mistake when passing a construction site where men whistled, I growled and threw a small trash can towards them.

They loved it. :rolleyes:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Here too. They are going after Bill Murray because he was too friendly with women. Nothing lewd whatsoever, just normal flirting is now considered harassment.
Are you sure about that? Why no source given?
EDIT: Looked it up. The production of a movie has been paused, but there are no reliable details on what Bill Murray supposedly did. As a result I cannot condemn or pardon the man. I will not jump to any conclusions either way. But to claim this as evidence that the pendulum has swung too far right now is to jump the gun. It is not a good example of support for one's beliefs.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It's hard to judge the fine line between compliment and harassment these days. I tend to avoid giving compliments these days to anyone other than my wife and daughter.
Only in the United States.
If you say a woman she is beautiful, here they will thank you.

After all ...beautiful is a compliment. It is not an insult. It is not harassment.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Only in the United States.
If you say a woman she is beautiful, here they will thank you.

After all ...beautiful is a compliment. It is not an insult. It is not harassment.

I'm in Australia.

Not so long back I got yelled at by a woman in the chiropractors waiting room for offering her my seat. So it's not just America.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
In my world, that's just good manners.

Same here, it was the way I was raised but the woman was offended by my offer. I even asked the question on here and from memory most people agreed with her that it was chauvinistic.