• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Baha'i covert people to their way of thinking?Yes or no?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
At our garage sale for my MIL's last few possession, an older Baha'i man, on an apparent walked, left his card with my wife, a short introduction to the Baha'i faith and an invite to come participate.
Edit to my previous post:
"Or are respected in their community by their peers according to sales that they can make".

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Edit to my previous post:
"Or are respected in their community according to sales that they can make".
So how much of the Baha'i do you hear about there in India. As you know, there is great discrepancy between Baha'i stats and Indian census stats. (2 000 000 adherents, as compared to 4000 by census) The other day there was an Indian chap on another forum who had converted, but wanted to meet with others, and was struggling to find anyone. A Baha'i person answered him with ... with 2 million Bahai's that ought to be easy. I groaned.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have never cared or heard about Bahais in India. But I did hear some years ago a poor Delhi woman say that she is a Bahai.
Thanks. Back when I was curious about the distortion of facts, I looked for houses of worship in various large cities. In all but the largest places, I got no results. So it's not just the census, but real life investigation as well.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I can't see many ordinary folks doing stuff like that. Imagine carrying business cards and handing them out to anyone and everybody
I've seen cards like that from Christians. When I used to wait tables, a long time ago, I would sometimes receive cards about Jesus along with the tip.

Bird123

Do you have any studies on this? I mean some kind of quantitative or qualitative research?

It's simple math. To go from not believing to believing takes a conversion to accepting the belief. Converting people to their way of thinking along with following is the basis of religion. Without people being converted to follow, religion could not exist.

Does religion really want one to know the truth? No, religion only wants one to believe and follow. This is why they teach people to value beliefs over all else. They will tell you beliefs are the truth rather than beliefs merely point the direction by which one can search for the truth.

Beliefs are the start of the journey not the end. Discovering the truth has never been about accepting and following.

Science will Discover God long before religion will. Why? Sciences searches for truth, correcting errors along the way. Religion does not search. Further, religion claims to know it all and are not correcting their errors along the way. When science reaches a point, religion will become obsolete in favor of what actually is.

God is so much more than any holy book or beliefs created by mankind. God hides none of it. All the secrets of the universe and God are staring us all in the face. Can you see? How many are even looking?

Why do people follow religions? What is religion telling people that they so badly want to hear that they would close their eyes to so very much??

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Bird123

For me it was always all about humanity. And the Baha’i teachings focus on rebuilding and rejuvenating it and creating a world civilisation. This promise of a golden age of humanity has been promised in all the scriptures of the major religions. So it’s very meaningful and enriching working for the betterment of the world.

Does the golden age include valuing so many of the petty things mankind holds so dear?Ruling,controlling, Judging, condemning, punishing. payback, intimidation, coercing. revenge,creating a we against they,we are good they are bad and such things like some are more important or closer to God than others.

How can one reach a Higher Level valuing those petty things? How could they ever lead to the Best Choices?

One can paint a pretty picture of a golden age for people to like or follow, however it says nothing about the system God really has in place and what is really going on in this world.

Does not your religion teach people this world is a mess? In reality this world is a Masterpiece. I say forget the dreams and the pretty pictures. The Masterpiece will end up with so much better results!!

That's what I see. it's very clear!!

Bird123

I think people are mistaking forced conversion for joining a religion. People who join our religion do so voluntarily out of choice not due to being forced.

Forced conversion???? The only forced conversion I can think of is when parents force children to convert. On the other hand, when children become adults and start to think on their own, they can decide for themselves.

firedragon

Veteran Member
It's simple math. To go from not believing to believing takes a conversion to accepting the belief. Converting people to their way of thinking along with following is the basis of religion. Without people being converted to follow, religion could not exist.

Does religion really want one to know the truth? No, religion only wants one to believe and follow. This is why they teach people to value beliefs over all else. They will tell you beliefs are the truth rather than beliefs merely point the direction by which one can search for the truth.

Beliefs are the start of the journey not the end. Discovering the truth has never been about accepting and following.

Science will Discover God long before religion will. Why? Sciences searches for truth, correcting errors along the way. Religion does not search. Further, religion claims to know it all and are not correcting their errors along the way. When science reaches a point, religion will become obsolete in favor of what actually is.

God is so much more than any holy book or beliefs created by mankind. God hides none of it. All the secrets of the universe and God are staring us all in the face. Can you see? How many are even looking?

Why do people follow religions? What is religion telling people that they so badly want to hear that they would close their eyes to so very much??

Actually, it's just conjecture. There is no evidence that all people adhering to a religion has converted. What you mean is that atheism is the default position of a human being. There is no evidence to that. It's just a bias that you are presenting. But in fact, there have been extensive quali research made that provides data to the opposite, That means, research shows that human beings are believers of the divine by default.

F1fan

Veteran Member
For me it was always all about humanity. And the Baha’i teachings focus on rebuilding and rejuvenating it and creating a world civilisation. This promise of a golden age of humanity has been promised in all the scriptures of the major religions. So it’s very meaningful and enriching working for the betterment of the world.
Yet it's not working. The promise is not being realized, at least not through religion.

Oddly the world is becoming more tolerant of gays while Bahai and other conservtive versions of major religions are stuck being prejudiced against them. So Bahai is working against any rebuilding. I suggest a golden age is made up of humans who don't need religions and the divisions they create.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Actually, it's just conjecture. There is no evidence that all people adhering to a religion has converted. What you mean is that atheism is the default position of a human being. There is no evidence to that. It's just a bias that you are presenting. But in fact, there have been extensive quali research made that provides data to the opposite, That means, research shows that human beings are believers of the divine by default.
So if children were raised in a place where there was no religion they would somehow become a Christian or Muslim or Hindu by some magical process?

F1fan

Veteran Member
Don't all believers and none believers try in some way to convert others to their line of thinking/believing?
Conversion suggests changing ideological beliefs. That would be like converting from a Baptist to Catholic. No one converts to non-belief, they just reject whatever religion they have. I suggest any criticisms of religious belief is not to convert anyone, rather to convince others that their judgments and beliefs are in error.

We Never Know

No Slack
Conversion suggests changing ideological beliefs. That would be like converting from a Baptist to Catholic. No one converts to non-belief, they just reject whatever religion they have. I suggest any criticisms of religious belief is not to convert anyone, rather to convince others that their judgments and beliefs are in error.

Really? So if a non-believer constantly tells a believer their god is a myth, doesn't exist, etc. They are not trying to convert them into not believing?

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
There is an in-between, called coerced conversion. Not exactly forced, but also not entirely on the person's own volition. You yourself have admitted many times how friendship evangelism influenced your decision.

What influenced me was Baha’u’llah’s Book of Certitude. I read and reflected on it and wanted to be a Baha’i. Baha’is played absolutely no part. I actually felt sorry for Baha’is that they were deluded and tried to convert them away from the Baha’i Faith. It was completely by accident and in my apartment alone when an epiphany about Baha’u’llah.

So I was extra vigilant not to be conned by sweet words, or a sweet tongue. My beliefs against Baha’i were just about set in stone. So I was not ‘seeking’ or looking for God or religion.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Really? So if a non-believer constantly tells a believer their god is a myth, doesn't exist, etc. They are not trying to convert them into not believing?
No, what they are saying is their beliefs are unsubstantiated and implusible. The default is their claims are untrue.

We Never Know

No Slack
No, what they are saying is their beliefs are unsubstantiated and implusible. The default is their claims are untrue.

"No, what they are saying is their beliefs are unsubstantiated and implusible. The default is their claims are untrue."

IOW You need to stop believing in myths and be like me, more rational and stop believing in myths.

Like i said lol

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It was completely by accident and in my apartment alone when an epiphany about Baha’u’llah.
You tripped, and when you got up off the floor you were Baha'i? o_O:D:p

But seriously, give us some details. This sounds like an interesting story. Pretty please?