• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Athiests have morals?

pro4life

Quick definitions for the unlearned:

Amoral: lacking a moral sense; unconcerned with the rightness or wrongness of something.

Immoral: not conforming to accepted standards of morality.

Moral: concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

When someone claims that he/she is irreligious, does it give them justifications to negate teachings of religious communities. For example, thou not steal. Does it give someone who claims to be irreligious the right to steal?

Also, which of the above words excellently describes the life of an Athiest?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I'm an atheist, and I believe that morals came before religions and that religious people tried to usurp morals and claim them for themselves. Here's a little test... if you think morals can be found in scripture, by what means do you cherry-pick the scripture? I'd say you have your morals going in, and you find those occasional verses that match what you already knew to be moral.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Morals are subjective as what is right and wrong is often subjective. Also, a person usually receives their moral outlook from how they were raised and/or their life experiences. That being the case, an atheist may have a much higher moral standard than perhaps a Christian does.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Common sense and wisdom spawn compassion and sympathy in social beings...experience shows you that you obtain the deepest, longest lasting happiness when those around you are happy.

It's usually ignorance, fear, pain, etc. that makes people treat others poorly or badly.

This is why plenty of people who are atheistic or irreligious are still good to their neighbors, spouses, friends, etc.

Heads up - if you keep spelling atheist and other common, simple words incorrectly, your posts and ideas will be generally taken less seriously.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Amoral: lacking a moral sense; unconcerned with the rightness or wrongness of something.

Moral: concerned with the principles of right and wrong behavior and the goodness or badness of human character.

When someone claims that he/she is irreligious, does it give them justifications to negate teachings of religious communities. For example, thou not steal. Does it give someone who claims to be irreligious the right to steal?

In short, no.

In long, stealing is a pretty universal no-no in virtually all communities. We don't steal, not because we've been commanded not to, but because stealing is harmful to the community, religious or not.

Morals and ethics are derived from our Tribal nature. They're inherent to us as a social species.

Atheists are people, with all the varieties contained therein.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The value of ownership is intact, be one religious or not.

"Negate."

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Sheesh..man...you really do have a problem with atheist. What did we ever do to you to deserve so much attention....

Look, everyone has morals. So what if they're not the same as yours. Just as we judge your fantasy driven lifestyle...so do you judge us by the tenants of your religious world view. Take the line you just quoted "thou shall not steal"...Well we're not bound by your religious code of ethics because in reality they're nothing new and your book wasn't the first time in history those words were ever said...but we have enough sense to know not to steal. But morality isn't a one sided coin. There are just as many religious people on the planet lip professing their belief yet are some of the biggest liars, thieves and cheaters......just as there are non-believers out there who are equally as bad....

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
When someone claims that he/she is irreligious, does it give them justifications to negate teachings of religious communities.

I'll be a little more controversial, and say YES. It does. I am irreligious, so therefore the teachings of the religious community hold little meaning to me. It's not quite that simple, since I live by the philosophy that wisdom is where you find it, but in general I would disregard religious teachings

For example, thou not steal. Does it give someone who claims to be irreligious the right to steal?

No, it doesn't give them the right, as rights are conveyed by law, and I don't know of a nation that allows theft with impunity.
But more than that, atheism doesn't provide the justification for theft in any sense. It does not provide the idea that life is a 'free for all'. Atheism actually doesn't provide much of anything. What you need to consider (in my opinion) is where and how an atheist comes by their morals.

For me, I keep things broadly simple.
(1) I strive to treat others as I would be treated.
(2) I try to keep to the laws of the land, unless they are manifestly unjust, or conflict with Item 1.
(3) I try to make the women in my life proud ;)
(well...more my family, and even my community, but my mum and my wife in particular are people who I respect from a moral point of view, and being a good model for my daughters is the most important thing I think I can provide them)

None of them, for atheists are diverse.
I think, strictly speaking, you could see atheism as AMORAL. However, all atheists have morals (unless they're complete socio/psychopaths, which is no different to theists). It's then a matter of how well they abide by these morals.

pro4life

I'll be a little more controversial, and say YES. It does. I am irreligious, so therefore the teachings of the religious community hold little meaning to me. It's not quite that simple, since I live by the philosophy that wisdom is where you find it, but in general I would disregard religious teachings

No, it doesn't give them the right, as rights are conveyed by law, and I don't know of a nation that allows theft with impunity.
But more than that, atheism doesn't provide the justification for theft in any sense. It does not provide the idea that life is a 'free for all'. Atheism actually doesn't provide much of anything. What you need to consider (in my opinion) is where and how an atheist comes by their morals.

For me, I keep things broadly simple.
(1) I strive to treat others as I would be treated.
(2) I try to keep to the laws of the land, unless they are manifestly unjust, or conflict with Item 1.
(3) I try to make the women in my life proud ;)
(well...more my family, and even my community, but my mum and my wife in particular are people who I respect from a moral point of view, and being a good model for my daughters is the most important thing I think I can provide them)

None of them, for atheists are diverse.
I think, strictly speaking, you could see atheism as AMORAL. However, all atheists have morals (unless they're complete socio/psychopaths, which is no different to theists). It's then a matter of how well they abide by these morals.

In reality you have defined your own way of life in your own dimension. "I strive to treat others as I would be treated". I would not want to be treated the way "you" want to be treated. That is one sided and cruel. There are people who have weird kinds of fetishes.

In regards to the laws of the land, this can change anytime. So if anarchy was the law of the land would you uphold your ideals to that standard?
Another issue is the idea of fornication. People hold high in morals regarding marriage. Nowadays society has started accepting the idea of sex outside of marriage does it mean that this is the best way to go?
In addition, your 3 "rules" you have written is it based on your own premise and bias or is it documented.

pro4life

Sheesh..man...you really do have a problem with atheist. What did we ever do to you to deserve so much attention....

Look, everyone has morals. So what if they're not the same as yours. Just as we judge your fantasy driven lifestyle...so do you judge us by the tenants of your religious world view. Take the line you just quoted "thou shall not steal"...Well we're not bound by your religious code of ethics because in reality they're nothing new and your book wasn't the first time in history those words were ever said...but we have enough sense to know not to steal. But morality isn't a one sided coin. There are just as many religious people on the planet lip professing their belief yet are some of the biggest liars, thieves and cheaters......just as there are non-believers out there who are equally as bad....

Look, there issue at hand is where did morals come from in the first place. Someone had to think of it. You lean toward a notion where anybody can come up with their own standards of morals on a whim. Does it mean that this is how Athiests operate?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
In reality you have defined your own way of life in your own dimension.
As opposed to what? Defining your own way of life in the dimension of a supernatural being?

"I strive to treat others as I would be treated". I would not want to be treated the way "you" want to be treated. That is one sided and cruel. There are people who have weird kinds of fetishes.
Only to a masochist.

In regards to the laws of the land, this can change anytime. So if anarchy was the law of the land would you uphold your ideals to that standard?
I already do. But I'm Canadian.

Another issue is the idea of fornication. People hold high in morals regarding marriage. Nowadays society has started accepting the idea of sex outside of marriage does it mean that this is the best way to go?
It's not really a new idea.

pro4life

The value of ownership is intact, be one religious or not.

"Negate."

So you are trying to say everything that religion upholds an Athiest must negate?
So when religion tells you thou shall not steal, honor your mother and father, respect the elderly, an athiest must negate these actions?

pro4life

I'm an atheist, and I believe that morals came before religions and that religious people tried to usurp morals and claim them for themselves. Here's a little test... if you think morals can be found in scripture, by what means do you cherry-pick the scripture? I'd say you have your morals going in, and you find those occasional verses that match what you already knew to be moral.

Where did your morals come from

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
So you are trying to say everything that religion upholds an Athiest must negate?
So when religion tells you thou shall not steal, honor your mother and father, respect the elderly, an athiest must negate these actions?
If life has taught me anything, it's taught me that that when you begin a sentence with the words, "So you are trying to say...," you will automatically be wrong.

Scott C.

Just one guy

Since I believe in God, I believe that nobody can escape his influence whether they believe in God or not. God implants within every human a conscience, a sense of right and wrong. Atheists are guided by that conscience when they choose to be kind or to do good, just like a believer.

pro4life

Since I believe in God, I believe that nobody can escape his influence whether they believe in God or not. God implants within every human a conscience, a sense of right and wrong. Atheists are guided by that conscience when they choose to be kind or to do good, just like a believer.

I think it differs when you have a belief standard that you compare to and when you are making up rules along to satisfy your needs.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

When someone claims that he/she is irreligious, does it give them justifications to negate teachings of religious communities.

Yes, it does. But at its best religion is part of the healthy expression of morality, not its source.

For example, thou not steal. Does it give someone who claims to be irreligious the right to steal?

No.

For that matter, it does not give a Christian the right to take the women of their dead enemies or to use the rod on their children, either.

Religions teach religious teachings, naturally enough. Whether those teachings are or can be made moral is something else entirely.

None have a particularly high correlation to atheism, although atheism does find itself generally associated to a somewhat higher level of morality than theism for reasons that should be obvious.