• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Atheists get into heaven?

dls0008

dan said:
There are many bold contradictions in the Bible, though. They're there only because of mistranslations and negligence, not because God isn't perfect.

I would agree with that, but maybe add that we don't fully understand all things at this point.

dan

I like to think of it this way: none of the translations of the Bible that we have today carry God's shiny seal of approval. They are the works of man. None of them claim to be inspired, and none of them even claim to have been produced under the correct authority. God has always been a stickler about His authority. Something as important as the Bible would need to have been done with His authority.

swingin' n

Although i am a strongly practising Christian, some of the best people i know are atheists, with stronger moral codes and beliefs than other people i know that claim that they believe in God.

i know that i'm not phrasing this very well, but i guess i'm trying to say that i would like to believe that there is a place in heaven for those atheists, too.

It is easy to say that you believe in God, and turn up to Church for an hour every week. Does that alone grant you access into heaven?

Those atheists i know (and i know plenty!) follow God in their own way, making life better for others around them, loving one another as Jesus loved us, although they do not do it for religious resons. I think that it is much harder to actually live by the guidelines and commandments that Jesus gave us than to simply acknowlege your faith.

Why should atheists/ people of other religions miss out on heaven? i agree totally with Ceridwen018 ....

swingin' n

i also agree with dan. the bible should never be taken fundamentally. like any other text written by men, it is influenced by the context in which it was written.. :) this is important to keep in mind- that, although it DOES contain the word of God, it is not direct from Him!

dls0008

swingin' n said:
Although i am a strongly practising Christian, some of the best people i know are atheists, with stronger moral codes and beliefs than other people i know that claim that they believe in God.

i know that i'm not phrasing this very well, but i guess i'm trying to say that i would like to believe that there is a place in heaven for those atheists, too.

It is easy to say that you believe in God, and turn up to Church for an hour every week. Does that alone grant you access into heaven?

Those atheists i know (and i know plenty!) follow God in their own way, making life better for others around them, loving one another as Jesus loved us, although they do not do it for religious resons. I think that it is much harder to actually live by the guidelines and commandments that Jesus gave us than to simply acknowlege your faith.

Why should atheists/ people of other religions miss out on heaven? i agree totally with Ceridwen018 ....

I think we disagree on the definition of a Christian. The Bible clearly explains that the only path to Heaven in through placing your faith and trust in Christ. Doesn't sound like you and I hold the same definition if you believe having good morals will get you there. None of us are perfect, no matter how hard we try or how many "good" actions we take. You clearly have decided that the Bible is wrong in it's path to salvation, so what is your definition of a Christian?

dan said:
I like to think of it this way: none of the translations of the Bible that we have today carry God's shiny seal of approval. They are the works of man. None of them claim to be inspired, and none of them even claim to have been produced under the correct authority. God has always been a stickler about His authority. Something as important as the Bible would need to have been done with His authority.

Why should anyone read or study these modern bibles if they weren't inspired or authorized by God? The wrong interpretations, errors and contradictions can be very damaging to an individual seeking to find their direction in life.

dan

They point us in the right direction. Our faith, love and worthiness will afford us the guidance of the Holy Spirit. The path to salvation has never been otherwise. We can be told what to do, but God has always wanted us to find out the truth directly from Him. Through prayer we can develop a relationship with Him that will help us to gain life eternal (John 17:3).

Runt

***MOD POST***

There has been some minor debating going on in here, and the conversation keeps starting to stray off topic. This is just a friendly reminder that we all need to follow the forum rules.

Thank you!

heartandaction

If you are confused, Allah is not mentioned in the Bible and neither is Muhammed. Jesus, on the other hand, is mentioned in the Koran in many places. Also, to the Muslims, there are references in 57:26 and in 3:55 in the Koran to seek the believers in Jesus for answers to your questions...might be a good place to start, don't you think?

dharveymi

To the original post, the Bible declares that God is not willing that any should perish but that ALL should have eternal life.

But I have a few questions: Why would an atheist want to go to heaven? Would an atheist believe he was in heaven if he were taken there? How could God prove to the atheist that he wasn't just dreaming?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
heaven i would think is a kind of state of mind. an overwhelming bliss, its a place/existance with what you want in it. its beyond material happiness though.

as for seeing God, God has limitless forms, so perhaps.

most atheists believe in a form of God, i see that. some people give charity and volunteer, i call that worship.

its all in a person's perception of what is what.

perhaps you call heaven that fairy tale cloud space above. nah, i think its just a concept to describe it, not in the best way, but in a way people can swallow.

and of course theres the lake of fire.

i beleve thats a state of mind. overwhelming despair.

Ceridwen018

If heaven is eternal bliss, then an Atheist most certainly would want to go. How could god convince her she wasn't dreaming? Maybe he wouldn't be able to. Maybe Atheists believe in god in their dreams. Who knows.

Heaven as one big long happy dream would be nice I think...I like dreaming.

dharveymi said:
But I have a few questions: Why would an atheist want to go to heaven? Would an atheist believe he was in heaven if he were taken there? How could God prove to the atheist that he wasn't just dreaming?
Well, assuming heaven is an eternal paradise, who in their right mind wouldn't want to go to heaven?

First of all, why would it need to be proved? Even if someone thought heaven was a dream, that's still a great dream! Besides, God could 'prove' to the atheist that he wasn't just dreaming the same way He 'proves' to us that we aren't dreaming right now....after a long period of consistent experience, it becomes more and more obvious that one is not dreaming.

dharveymi

Heaven is a place that God reigns supreme. Would an atheist be happy in a place where people were perfectly happy to be obedient to one supreme ruler?

Ardhanariswar

I'm back!
eek, my perception of God is kinda different. I mean, God is this vast energy, that is good. happy. and fuzzAY. its hard to explain.
but hes not some dude from the old testament/zues. that my friends, is called a fairy tale. thats a form of God, but its not the only form of Him.
i dont think he rules from a gold/diamond throne like zeus.

He is with us, in us. a spirit. the Great spirit. therefore, if we can find that goodness and truth in ourselves, we can attain bliss/heaven and die.

dharveymi

Anyone is of course welcome to their own view of heaven, but the original post assumed a personal God who was capable of admitting or denying admission to an eternal paradise (the Christian or Jewish heaven.), if I am not mistaken.

I really can't believe that an athiest would be happy in a place like that, but thankfully, I'm not God. God is not willing that anyone should perish, but that all should have eternal life. I think there will be a lot of sheepish athiests in heaven, but none will go against his/her will. (Oh no, I started that whole free will thing again, forget that I said that.)