• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do any religions teach religious tolerance?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's kind of interesting to me that some of the most tolerant religions never explicitly teach religious tolerance. Shinto, Buddhism, Confucianism, Daoism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Not just tolerance, but tolerance to other religions?

Many do, but as pointed out that doesn't always have a clear meaning, or much of a meaning at all.

Of particular note is the Bahai Faith, that very much stresses the need of respecting a half dozen of other religions even while it wildly misrepresents a couple of them (Buddhism and Hinduism). I sincerely wonder how it is for Bahais that live in the East. Do they have a clearer understanding of what Buddhism or Hinduism are like? I truly don't know.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Depending how far back you are looking for references...lots didn't have the intolerance around to compare and cast light on religious tolerance being a particular or special thing.

How we define tolerance makes a difference too...restraint from bullying, condemning, etc.? I don't tolerate the idea that I'm sick or fallen but I also don't say Christianity is flat out wrong, mean, or evil. My Gods can be real without others being demons or delusions.

I think the safest thing to say is some can be much more tolerant and respectful to others, than others...and there are jerks, angels, Average Joes all along the lineup of adherents.

Caligula

Think of it in terms of evolution. If one would explicitly propose that it could not have survived.
In my language, religion is defined as: "set of ideas, feelings and actions shared by a group which offers its members an object of worship, a code of conduct, a benchmark for relating to the group and the Universe".
By definition that excludes religious tolerance if you ask me.
Religious segregation is the foundation of any religion. A different approach would leave place for the "we may be wrong" idea and that would be contrary to the claims of any known religion.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

What is your personal definition of tolerance?
Mine is ... to allow to exist without interference

I think it's important in discussions, that we understand or agree somewhat to the meaning. I know some peoploe who think it means 'acceptance of the religious belief'' as far as taking on those beliefs personally.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
My religion preaches tolerance for almost all religions and people, however its probably one of the smallest religions in the world, as as far as I know its only me!! I haven't yet found an existing religion that fits all my beliefs, I don't think I'm alone in that respect, I think a lot of good people have never found a religion that agrees with all their beliefs.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

It's implicit in any religion that isn't exclusivist, and exclusivism is pretty much only a thing in some branches of Christianity and Islam. It is explicit in many newer religious movements, ranging from Unitarian Universalism to progressive Christianities.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Generally speaking, Judaism is quite tolerant. Other religions are not judged negatively, religious freedom is constantly pushed both in Israel and elsewhere (I would leave Judaism in a second if it didn't, btw), but certainly not all Jews are on the same page.

shawn001

Thanks for the replies.

It would be a good thing in the world if there were more religious tolerance, among religions.

I am sure some of you know about this site and I use it sometimes as a good reference on information. I have nothing to do with the site just FYI. Only an information source.

Religious tolerance -- all points of view

I also saw this which was new to me and I thought interesting.

"Micah 4:3-5 "...they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up a sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hat spoken it. For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever." (KJV)