• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do any non-theists think being Gay is wrong?

Jumi

Why would it be wrong? If someone is gay then that's who they are. Nothing you or they can do about it.

kittyqueen

Lone Wolf
I already met homophobic atheists. I also thought that it was impossible and used to believe that it had to do with religion, but no, it's sexism that makes people believe in such things. This or the belief that being attracted to the same sex in unnatural. It might not be how we were supposed to have sex, but really, there's no need to make so many babies anymore. Why bother?

jonathan180iq

I think there's a big difference between not liking something that another person does and politically attempting to ban them from doing those things...

I don't like anal sex, but that's not all there is to homosexual male relationships anymore than vaginal sex is all there is to heterosexual relationships.

Why does sex have anything to do with the argument for or against homosexuality? If this whole sex and gender debate is merely based on some prudes not liking how people get it on, then they'd better start locking up everyone in the country who practices any type of sexual exploration other than missionary vaginal penetration. We'd also better start teaching our kids that the most important part of marriage is how you bang your wife... See how ridiculous the argument is once it's broken down?

Any argument contradictory to acceptance is a farce.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Do I believe it is wrong?
No.

I see it as a good thing, objectively anyways.
Helps out overpopulation and gives orphaned kids a family.

I personally don't care for sexual involvement with other men.
I also don't really care for anything sexual at all.
It's just what comes naturally, I guess.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Wow, this gem was from a while ago, but nothing wrong with reviving a good thread.

I tend to agree with kitty queen. I think the idea that homosexuality is wrong is a knee-jerk reaction. I think this reaction is often found with things that are different. We are socialized to see men as strong, conquering individuals. And women as submissive, weaker dependents. Sex itself is penetration focused. The penetrator is most often portrayed as the dominant aggressor. Boys are encouraged from early adolescence to be the aggressors and get the girl, make the move, woo her, Mack on her, spit game and sow their wild oats. The breaking of this pattern goes against the social flow. And male on male sexual behavior seems to break so many social notions that it generates feelings of discomfort in many. These feelings are then computed as "it's just wrong." The logic minded search for rationalizations upon which to hinge this feeling of wrongness. Religion is just one of those rationalizations.

Now I suppose, one could argue, that religion itself is the origin of this socialization. For, despite what the most devout non-theists may think, their socialization has indeed been influenced by religion. But, what is religion other than a creation to explain and give authority to some group of people's beliefs. So I would argue that this feeling of wrongness came about from social notions before any religion handed down any dictates against such conduct.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Wow, this gem was from a while ago, but nothing wrong with reviving a good thread.

I tend to agree with kitty queen. I think the idea that homosexuality is wrong is a knee-jerk reaction. I think this reaction is often found with things that are different. We are socialized to see men as strong, conquering individuals. And women as submissive, weaker dependents. Sex itself is penetration focused. The penetrator is most often portrayed as the dominant aggressor. Boys are encouraged from early adolescence to be the aggressors and get the girl, make the move, woo her, Mack on her, spit game and sow their wild oats. The breaking of this pattern goes against the social flow. And male on male sexual behavior seems to break so many social notions that it generates feelings of discomfort in many. These feelings are then computed as "it's just wrong." The logic minded search for rationalizations upon which to hinge this feeling of wrongness. Religion is just one of those rationalizations.

Now I suppose, one could argue, that religion itself is the origin of this socialization. For, despite what the most devout non-theists may think, their socialization has indeed been influenced by religion. But, what is religion other than a creation to explain and give authority to some group of people's beliefs. So I would argue that this feeling of wrongness came about from social notions before any religion handed down any dictates against such conduct.
Lol, I forgot...

I am an atheist and I personally do not think homosexuality is wrong.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I do not see homosexual orientation is wrong

It is not wrong to have sexual orientations that are not in the majority. Asexual is not in that category; and, we dont fus about them

I am all natural. I dont like "extra" parts and I feel any lust or love between two people should be natural. Hence, Some actions are not meant for the body to do. That does not mean one cant be intimate. It just means becareful and safe.

I am not against two people consumating their love under a commited relationship and in some faiths marriage. I do not see how any faith can discriminate love by gender

I disagree that we are based on our gender. Thats like having colored and white bathrooms. White people felt black people were below them. Black people coulnt even attend church with whites. Same discrimination, just with gender.

I can go on

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I already met homophobic atheists. I also thought that it was impossible and used to believe that it had to do with religion, ..
It may not be sexism, it may be hard-headed political demography. How many Christian LGBTQ can Europe afford with increasing Muslim population?