• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do any Ex-Christian experienced social shame or labeling at family level?

I am trying to know the real experience among the christian society and the view towrd ex-christians or convert to islam mainly or level social shame or labeling at family level? how far and shape it took?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
None of my immediate family are/were Christians, so no. Friends were, so that was harder, and yes, I got grief for leaving. I did get grief from my husband until he left Christianity 6 months later.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Well, having frequented a message board that was specifically for Ex-Christians, I can say this was a frequent topic of discussion. People gave each other tips on what to expect when they "came out" to family or at work. Personally I'm not "out" with family because it would cause too many problems, but each situation is different.

rocala

I can say this was a frequent topic of discussion. People gave each other tips on what to expect when they "came out" to family or at work. Personally I'm not "out" with family because it would cause too many problems,
I am pretty sure you live on a different continent to me, I am in the U.K. but to me, it sounds different century too. I am not trying to be offensive but I am struggling to understand, and the emphasis is on "struggle". To be honest, if I felt obliged to keep parts of myself secret I would probably not want to be a part of their family. As you say, "each situation is different".

rocala

Once I went to join the army. I was being interviewed by a sergeant as he read the application form. All was going well until he got to the religion question. "Religion, you have written none. What do you mean by none?" I replied along the lines of "well I have no religious beliefs, I was not brought up with any religious beliefs, I was not Christened, nor do not practice any particular religion." He looked at me as one might look at a half-witted child and patiently said "that is Church of England." He then crossed out none and wrote C of E.

Viker

Häxan
At first I did get some negative feedback from family. Overtime most have come to accept me (only a few have not). My mother never wavered in her love for me. She expressed her concerns and still stayed my mother. My sister is formerly Christian and pagan, so we've never had an issue.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Once I went to join the army. I was being interviewed by a sergeant as he read the application form. All was going well until he got to the religion question. "Religion, you have written none. What do you mean by none?" I replied along the lines of "well I have no religious beliefs, I was not brought up with any religious beliefs, I was not Christened, nor do not practice any particular religion." He looked at me as one might look at a half-witted child and patiently said "that is Church of England." He then crossed out none and wrote C of E.
That's really odd.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I am trying to know the real experience among the christian society and the view towrd ex-christians or convert to islam mainly or level social shame or labeling at family level? how far and shape it took?
From my family, it's not that simple. My sister now and then gives me grief for not being religious and says I need to just believe and believe in anything, going as far to say I was better off when I believed (though I don't think she knows how I suffered then). It's kind of the same way with my dad. My mom took my views as a shock and was combative at first, but came to be ok with them after I explained things.
The worst came from Christians I thought were friends.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That "that's the C of E" would be funny had he not scribbled that in.

rocala

That "that's the C of E" would be funny had he not scribbled that in.
To be honest I tend to view it more as a humorous event than anything else, although I do think his actions were wrong. It has been suggested that he was just trying to get me through the selection process rather than imposing his personal view. So I am inclined to think kindly of him.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To be honest I tend to view it more as a humorous event than anything else, although I do think his actions were wrong. It has been suggested that he was just trying to get me through the selection process rather than imposing his personal view. So I am inclined to think kindly of him.
Reminds me a couples of hospitals in Indiana. Apparently they are so bothered or whatever by having no religion that they'll leave that spot saying unknown even after being corrected.

At first I did get some negative feedback from family. Overtime most have come to accept me (only a few have not). My mother never wavered in her love for me. She expressed her concerns and still stayed my mother. My sister is formerly Christian and pagan, so we've never had an issue.
In fact ,it depends about the tradition and culture of the muslim partner (assume we talk about Islam) since the version of Islam and the way they apply the tradition could be extreme , i mean there are conserable differenace between Arab countries , Asian etc. even among Arab countries as an example the Egyptian has differ mentality than other..etccIn arab culture it is very very complex

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Reminds me a couples of hospitals in Indiana. Apparently they are so bothered or whatever by having no religion that they'll leave that spot saying unknown even after being corrected.
When I was pretty fresh off the plane in Papua New Guinea a local asked me what religion I was. I said atheist (perhaps not the smartest answer on reflection) and that confused them. One resolved the issue. 'Oh, that's an SDA who doesn't go to church much...'

They all seemed happy enough with that.

How such challenges look soft in western culture ..in other societies such as Middle east..talking about the topic or even thinking about it is consider taboo or crime a

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
How such challenges look soft in western culture ..in other societies such as Middle east..talking about the topic or even thinking about it is consider taboo or crime a

Yep. I'm lucky to live in a society where the worst I have ever experienced for my atheism is some very mild distaste, disappointment or confusion. Nothing stronger.

I could live in Saudi Arabia. Or Mississippi.