• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do any Christian businesses follow this teaching?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Every now and then, a company that claims to run according to the dictates of Christianity and the Bible makes the news... usually about mistreatment of LGBTQ employees or refusing to cover contraception on their health insurance plan.

But there are many more admonitions for employers in the Bible... for instance Deuteronomy 24:14-15:

14 You must not oppress a lowly and poor servant, whether one from among your fellow Israelites or from the resident foreigners who are living in your land and villages. 15 You must pay his wage that very day before the sun sets, for he is poor and his life depends on it. Otherwise he will cry out to the Lord against you, and you will be guilty of sin.

So... a couple of questions for the group:

- are there any Christian lobby groups who are calling for action against people who violate verse 14? e.g. opposing wage theft, unpaid overtime for frontline workers, etc.

- are there any Christian companies who insist on paying their staff (at least frontline workers) every day in order to comply with verse 15?

These may be out there, but I've never heard of any, so I'm curious.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You're asking about a literal interpretation of one small part of the Bible.

My (non) question is about how many businesses treat their employees with the love that the Bible calls upon them to manifest.

74x12

Every now and then, a company that claims to run according to the dictates of Christianity and the Bible makes the news... usually about mistreatment of LGBTQ employees or refusing to cover contraception on their health insurance plan.

But there are many more admonitions for employers in the Bible... for instance Deuteronomy 24:14-15:

14 You must not oppress a lowly and poor servant, whether one from among your fellow Israelites or from the resident foreigners who are living in your land and villages. 15 You must pay his wage that very day before the sun sets, for he is poor and his life depends on it. Otherwise he will cry out to the Lord against you, and you will be guilty of sin.

- are there any Christian lobby groups who are calling for action against people who violate verse 14? e.g. opposing wage theft, unpaid overtime for frontline workers, etc.

- are there any Christian companies who insist on paying their staff (at least frontline workers) every day in order to comply with verse 15?

First of all most Christians understand that we're not under the Law of Moses; so it's more about the spirit of the law than the letter. What is the point/purpose of this Law? It is just to treat your workers fairly.

I think that most Christian businesses probably try their best to do that. Do they always? Of course not. Do some not even try? Of course.

Of course you're only going to hear about the ones who do something allegedly wrong on the news.

Suave

Simulated character

Some laws of the Old Testament applied strictly to the ancient nomadic tribes of Isrrael, they were not intended to be followed by everybody.

Truth in love

The law of Moses ended about 30 AD. Some concepts remain like sexual purity and not oppressing the hurling, but a lot of the smaller say to say like no debts past 7 years ended.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The law of Moses ended about 30 AD. Some concepts remain like sexual purity and not oppressing the hurling, but a lot of the smaller say to say like no debts past 7 years ended.
So Christianity has thrown away all the stuff about fair treatment of workers and social equity that was in Judaism?

Truth in love

So Christianity has thrown away all the stuff about fair treatment of workers and social equity that was in Judaism?
The core principles are in place. The micro management not so much. The law of Moses had rules on food to eat, sheep to kill, hair cuts etc. The higher law has fewer rules. The core elements are still in play. Don’t kill became don’t be angry. We don’t have a dozen holidays with exact foods to eat. We are to remember the savior always.