• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do animals have souls?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The soul is not incorporeal - it is a part of the materiel world and gives rise to consciousness, as an emergent property of soul plus brain

Interesting....

From a metaphysical/theological standpoint the soul is a finite substance. If it gives rise to consciousness through the medium of the brain then it must share the same properties as the brain/consciousness.

It is incorporeal yet through some mystery it interacts with the physical

That means in some way or at least in part, the soul although incorporeal, shares some finite qualities, and if so would affect the definition of it being infinite.

3) The distinction between mental and physical is a human construct that doesn't necessarily reflect reality

There lies in the problem of duality. How do I or can I perceive my soul from my mind? Or in your case how does one draw the distinction between sentience and a soul if mental and physical doesn’t necessarily reflect reality?

For further clarification how does my mind perceive an animal to have a soul on the basis of sentience when sentience and soul are two separate things? How am I confident enough to make that distinction when in reality an animal that behaves and interacts with the world could be the result of purely its organ (i.e brain)?

Not trying to give you a hard time remember I’m playing devil’s advocate here

nPeace

Veteran Member
Do animals have souls?

When I look into the eyes of an animal I can see a soul looking back at me

Just as I can when I look into a human being’s eyes

I see the same thing in both animals and humans

"see" is perhaps the wrong word. Perhaps a better word would be "feel"???

I think they have souls

Why shouldn’t they?
They have life, I agree.
(Leviticus 17:11) For the soul of the flesh is in the blood,. . .

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do animals have souls?

I think they have souls

Why shouldn’t they?
There is no such thing as a soul.

atanu

Premium Member
Do animals have souls?

I think they have souls

Why shouldn’t they?

The answer, I believe, will depend on what one believes the ontological primitive to be.

I believe the ontological primitive to be ‘existence-consciousness’, which is prior to space-time and pervades the space -time. Even as your mind pervades the whole of your dream world, the ontological primitive is not absent from any place or any time. There is no ‘thing’, animate or inanimate, that can be outside of the ontological primitive.

When you see eye to eye, you recognise and feel love at yourself. Rest of the nature is also that.

Last edited:

atanu

Premium Member
In the absence (so far) of any sensible definition of what a "soul" might actually be -- as if it is somehow a separate and definable part of one or more creatures' existences -- I will opt for no, animals don't have "souls." And as an animal myself, neither do I.

Let me intervene please.

Suppose for a moment, you believed that instead of the material ultimates (that are devoid of sentience), the ontological primitive was/is ‘competence to know, perceive, and feel’. This universe is enveloped by that and exist in that ‘primitive sentience’ — It is like the whole universe of your dream is pervaded by your mind alone.

Suppose the above scenario for a moment. Do not jump to say that this is unprovable. I can suggest evidences from science. I can suggest evidences from your own empirical experiences. We can discuss evidences if you so wish.

The point is: If you believe this ‘sentience’ ontology to be true, how the universe would pan out? Will you feel deep love for yourself?

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Do animals have souls?

I think they have souls

Why shouldn’t they?
Strict traditional dogma tends to say no. Personally, I believe "ensoulment" directly corresponds to level of sentience. I also kind of hope plants and insects have some sort of soul analogue, but I haven't given a great deal of thought to how that might work.

JJ50

I am of the opinion the term 'soul' is just another name for consciousness. Animals of other species are conscious, but don't appear to have the ability to imagine as humans do and create gods, for instance.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do animals have souls?
A more curious question is why souls would have animals. What does a human body have that a soul would want to hang around for? It can't be sex ─ souls don't have hormones.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Do animals have souls?

I think they have souls

Why shouldn’t they?

I believe there is no physical connector for a spirit in an animal.

I believe that is wishful thinking. If you are looking into eyes you see what is in those eyes. That is a physical phenomenon.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I believe that is fallacious reasoning. You can't reason from a detail to the general.

Of course I can. Since homo Sapiens (us) ia an animal, obviously, i am not sure what your point ia.

Or do you believe we have some special status above all other animals?

Ciao

- viole