• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Animals Have Religion?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The sacrificial system, circumcision, festivals (Yom Kippur, Passover, Rosh Hashana, Pentecost, etc..), legislation (10 commandments, dietary), liturgy (priestly duties and garments), marriage and social laws, ....

That's not necessary for Religion.

My definition:
" A Philisophical approach or framework to one's life, including traditions and customs, that shapes the way one interacts with both the physical and/or metaphysical aspects of sacred reality. "

None of this requires a sacrificial system, or festivals, or written laws.

Those are just outward constructs. Illusion.

Although, for those who have forgotten, those things can be good waypoints to guide one back into their own sense of Wisdom with the world.

DNB

Christian
What evidence? do you expect me to read the entire thread to satisfy your ego?

The hammer has his own view, i have mine. Mostly we agree but i haven't read every post, only those addresses to me and those that catch my eye.

So perhaps you could make it easy for me by pointing our which comments you are referring too.
Hammer was purporting that animals have a religious consciousness due to their perceived ritualistic behaviour.
Then you said: Some animals have rituals, i really don't think they can be considered religion any more than washing the car on Saturday mornings.
I was attempting to make a joke by saying that since I am not as ritualistic as others who wash their car weekly, therefore, according to Hammer's logic, I must not be religious (no evidence of ritual), and thus, an atheist.

It was an attempt at humour.

DNB

Christian
That's not necessary for Religion.

My definition:
" A Philisophical approach or framework to one's life, including traditions and customs, that shapes the way one interacts with both the physical and/or metaphysical aspects of sacred reality. "

None of this requires a sacrificial system, or festivals, or written laws.

Those are just outward constructs. Illusion.

Although, for those who have forgotten, those things can be good waypoints to guide one back into their own sense of Wisdom with the world.
You asked me for distinction, I gave it to you?

DNB

Christian
You seem to speak with an authority as if you know God yourself. That's good.

But you don't get to dictate which roads others walk either. All rivers lead to the ocean.
If God created all the heavens and the earth, and all that they contain, then He is rational. If man has wisdom, then that is from God also.
Therefore, God is not divided, haphazard or incoherent, but rather, methodological, sound and systematic.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Therefore, God is not divided, haphazard or incoherent, but rather, methodological, sound and systematic.

And any system that operates, thrives on variability and fluctuation. Not sameness.

Edit: For there to be variability there has to be at least 2 points.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Hammer was purporting that animals have a religious consciousness due to their perceived ritualistic behaviour.
Then you said: Some animals have rituals, i really don't think they can be considered religion any more than washing the car on Saturday mornings.
I was attempting to make a joke by saying that since I am not as ritualistic as others who wash their car weekly, therefore, according to Hammer's logic, I must not be religious (no evidence of ritual), and thus, an atheist.

Doesn't follow, not really humourous in my book but if you got a laugh from it that's fine.

DNB

Christian
Not quite. But I probably wasn't clear. I meant to ask where this information is coming from, whom gives this instruction?
Some religions claim to have inspired writings, others consider their leaders to be gifted with insight. I believe that the one and only divine Being in the universe, God the Father, chose to reveal Himself and His will via particular men throughout history, namely the men of Israel, who faithfully preserved and passed it on.

DNB

Christian
Doesn't follow, not really humourous in my book but if you got a laugh from it that's fine.
...no, I actually didn't find it that funny myself for it requires too much explanation. I should've applied the principle of Ockham's razor!

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

habitual, such as washing the car every Saturday morning, and ritual, such as creating mounds of rocks by certain trees, are not the same thing.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Some religions claim to have inspired writings, others consider their leaders to be gifted with insight. I believe that the one and only divine Being in the universe, God the Father, chose to reveal Himself and His will via particular men throughout history, namely the men of Israel, who faithfully preserved and passed it on.

Man I'm glad I'm not from Israel.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What this one thinks about our human religions. :oops:

Young-bonobo-laughing.jpg

DNB

Christian
habitual, such as washing the car every Saturday morning, and ritual, such as creating mounds of rocks by certain trees, are not the same thing.
...creating mounds of rocks by certain trees, by basal and primitive animals, has absolutely no semblance or affinity with the worship practices, liturgies, ontological definitions of one's deity, doxologies, literature, religious edifices & altars & shrines & temples, as that which man, who was created in the image of God, has demonstrated to be capable of. And, in so doing, has given testimony to his innate and intrinsic ability to comprehend the spiritual, and revere God in a duly manner.
No other creature on earth can make the same claim, obviously.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
...creating mounds of rocks by certain trees, by basal and primitive animals, has absolutely no semblance or affinity with the worship practices, liturgies, ontological definitions of one's deity, doxologies, literature, religious edifices & altars & shrines & temples, as that which man, who was created in the image of God, has demonstrated to be capable of. And, in so doing, has given testimony to his innate and intrinsic ability to comprehend the spiritual, and revere God in a duly manner.
No other creature on earth can make the same claim, obviously.
Oh please, if some stoneage tribe of humans made cairns of rocks by certain trees, we would call it religion.