• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do all animals go to Heaven?

Bear Wild

That's correct.

Can you look into the minds of humans and see that they do? What a ridiculous response.

More relevantly, I can't look into any sacred text and see where it says that God created animals in His own triune image.

Experience with animals leads you to believe that you CAN look into their minds and see their souls?

Anecdotal evidence notwithstanding...
Animals can share a bond with humans. We see animals save other animals. We see animals adopt other animals. We see animals recognize death in one of their own. Cant look into their minds and see their souls no more that we can for humans but we can see truly amazing things that animals do if we look.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Animals can share a bond with humans. We see animals save other animals. We see animals adopt other animals. We see animals recognize death in one of their own. Cant look into their minds and see their souls no more that we can for humans but we can see truly amazing things that animals do if we look.

I don't think anyone is disputing that--but then, "Can animals do truly amazing things?" wasn't the question.

Bear Wild

I don't think anyone is disputing that--but then, "Can animals do truly amazing things?" wasn't the question.
No it wasn't, you are right. Just observations that animals are more like humans than we realize. Just do not understand a god that does not love all of its creation.

Axe Elf

Prophet
No it wasn't, you are right. Just observations that animals are more like humans than we realize. Just do not understand a god that does not love all of its creation.

Again you seem to be sidetracked by something that is irrelevant to the question. God saw the Earth and the sky that He had made, and said it was good; He loved His creation. And yet rocks and puddles don't have souls and don't go to heaven. God saw the vegetation that He had made, and said it was good; He loved his creation. And yet onions and apples don't have souls and don't go to heaven.

Why do you think God loves animals any less than He loves the rest of His creation, just because He didn't give them souls to be saved so that they could spend eternity in heaven?

Bear Wild

Again you seem to be sidetracked by something that is irrelevant to the question. God saw the Earth and the sky that He had made, and said it was good; He loved His creation. And yet rocks and puddles don't have souls and don't go to heaven. God saw the vegetation that He had made, and said it was good; He loved his creation. And yet onions and apples don't have souls and don't go to heaven.

Why do you think God loves animals any less than He loves the rest of His creation, just because He didn't give them souls to be saved so that they could spend eternity in heaven?
That is exactly why.

Axe Elf

Prophet
That is exactly why.

Ok then, so do you think that God loves the mineral part of His creation less than the rest of it--or do you think that the rocks and minerals will eventually go to heaven too, once the Earth is engulfed by the sun?

What about plants? Are they loved less by God--or do you think you will see that salad you had for lunch again one day in paradise?

Dave Watchman

Can I ask what you believe this "spirit" to be?

In the original languages of the Bible, "spirit", (the Hebrew word ruʹach and the Greek word pneuʹma), have a number of meanings. All of them refer to that which is invisible to human sight and gives evidence of force in motion.

The Hebrew and Greek words are used with reference to (1) wind, (2) the active life-force in earthly creatures, (3) the impelling force that issues from a person’s figurative heart and causes him to say and do things in a certain way, (4) inspired expressions originating from an invisible source, (5) spirit persons, and (6) God’s active force, or holy spirit.. (Exodus 35:21; Psalm 104:29; Matthew 12:43; Luke 11:13)

You can see from the Greek word pneuma, that we have words in English that incorporate it....like "pneumonia" or "pneumatic"....pertaining to air or breath.
Animals and humans have the same "spirit" because they all breathe the same air. All have a need for oxygen.

Nice study.

Yes. A mighty rushing wind.

"And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. - Acts 2:2

"And the stars of heaven fell to the earth, even as a fig tree casts her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. - Revelation 6:13​

I believe in the resurrection.

In Ecclesiastes 12:7 says..."Then the dust returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit itself returns to the true God who gave it.”
How does the spirit "return" to God? The Bible teaches resurrection, which is a return to human life for the majority of us. Only God can return the breath that animates a soul. This is what Jesus did for his friend Lazarus. It is what he will also do for those who sleep in death. They will all be called from their graves. (John 5:28-29)

I agree with you here. The spirit returns to God because it came from God, it was God who gave it. We are not a spirit. The spirit that is in us belongs to God. It contains all of our experience. It contains all of who we are, our essence. It will ensure our resurrection.

And if God has put His spirit in the animals too, can this be how the eyes of the Lord run to and fro? Can God be watching us through the eyes of the animals, through the eyes of our pets, through the eyes of the birds. Not a sparrow can fall without the Father knowing it?

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him. - 2 Chronicles 16:9​

So to our understanding, the "spirit" is no more of a living entity than the soul is. It is the breath that animates all living creatures.

I disagree with this part. But i've only recently changed my mind on it. The rapture people quote a verse where they think God brings from Heaven the spirits that have fallen asleep.

For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. - 1 Thessalonians 4:14​

But i think where it says "bring with him", it means bring with Him away from the earth on the trip back to New Jerusalem. New Jerusalem is heaven. New Jerusalem is the Father's House with many rooms. God will also bring with Him to heaven, those who have fallen asleep.

In my Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. - John 14:2-3​

Here is a snip from an extra Biblical page called the Apocalypse of Thomas that i find interesting.

Then shall they behold me coming from above in the light of my Father with the power and honour of the holy angels. Then at my coming shall the fence of fire of paradise be done away -because paradise is girt round about with fire. And this shall be that perpetual fire that shall consume the earth and all the elements of the world.

Then shall the spirits and souls of all men come forth from paradise and shall come upon all the earth: and every one of them shall go unto his own body, where it is laid up, and every one of them shall say: Here lieth my body. And when the great voice of those spirits shall be heard, then shall there be a great earthquake over all the world, and by the might thereof the mountains shall be cloven from above and the rocks from beneath. Then shall every spirit return into his own vessel and the bodies of the saints which have fallen asleep shall arise.

Then shall their bodies be changed into the image and likeness and the honour of the holy angels, and into the power of the image of mine holy Father. Then shall they be clothed with the vesture of life eternal, out of the cloud of light which hath never been seen in this world; for that cloud cometh down out of the highest realm of the heaven from the power of my Father. And that cloud shall compass about with the beauty thereof all the spirits that have believed in me.
The Apocalypse of Thomas

Are you saying that the spirits of humans and animals live on after death in spirit form?

YES! Because this spirit comes from God, and a spirit from God cannot die.

"All go to the same place; all come from dust, and to dust all return. Who knows if the human spirit rises upward and if the spirit of the animal goes down into the earth?” - Ecclesiastes 3:20-21

What "creatures" live in heaven? To my understanding they are angels.....spirit creatures. The word "creature" means a created being....angels are created, but not in the same form as we have. Living creatures inhabit all sorts of places....because God put them there.

I don't know. We'll find out when we get there. But i believe that heaven is a physical place. Streets of pure gold, gates of pearl, foundation walls of every kind of jewel. And there'll be the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations. And as Jesus promised, we will drink from the fruit of the vine when it is new in His Father's Kingdom.

They didn't have to tell us about that. We didn't need to be aware of this at this time. They must want us to know that we are not going to be disembodied spirits floating around in some strange space.

I am unfamiliar with your religion, so it prompted me to do some research. You never hear of the Waldensians these days. It appears that being accused of heresy gives us a common ground of sorts. :D But we do not hold a Sabbath.

I guess it depends on who is doing the accusing.

Do you have others who share your views?

Any Commandment keeping Church from the SDA to the Seventh Day Baptists.

"Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. - Revelation 12:17
Peaceful Sabbath.

David T

Premium Member
I always believed that all animals have souls and an afterlife. Why not plants, too? St. Francis treated animals and even the Sun and the Moon as his brothers and sisters. A wolf was terrorizing a town. He talked to the wolf to calm himself so that the wolf and the townspeople could come to an agreement, and the townspeople wouldn't kill "Brother Wolf". They learned to coexist from then on. He also preached sermons to birds. It doesn't make sense to me that God would create all this life but we're the only lifeforms with an eternal destinity.

After all, at the Eschaton, Heaven and Earth are supposed to be remade and become one. I assume animals and plants will still exist on this perfected Earth.
I always believed that all animals have souls and an afterlife. Why not plants, too? St. Francis treated animals and even the Sun and the Moon as his brothers and sisters. A wolf was terrorizing a town. He talked to the wolf to calm himself so that the wolf and the townspeople could come to an agreement, and the townspeople wouldn't kill "Brother Wolf". They learned to coexist from then on. He also preached sermons to birds. It doesn't make sense to me that God would create all this life but we're the only lifeforms with an eternal destinity.

After all, at the Eschaton, Heaven and Earth are supposed to be remade and become one. I assume animals and plants will still exist on this perfected Earth.
Oh you cant reference brother wolf story. Its not in the bible therefore its not science.!!!!! And its catholic and all good christians know catholics arent really christian. Lol.

I have had people say that to me btw. Absurd? Absolutely but thats metaphysics for ya! Its spectral. That spectralness confused me as a youth.

I like that brother wolf story a lot, its christian and european, but it harmonizes with older earlier traditions..

David T

Premium Member

Oh you cant reference brother wolf story. Its not in the bible therefore its not science.!!!!! And its catholic and all good christians know catholics arent really christian. Lol.

I have had people say that to me btw. Absurd? Absolutely but thats metaphysics for ya! Its spectral. That spectralness confused me as a youth.

I like that brother wolf story a lot, its christian and european, but it harmonizes with older earlier traditions..

David T

Premium Member
There are others who were raised Catholic that had similar experiences to mine...

"I learned Catholic doctrine taught that animals (even dogs) did not have souls and therefore did not go to heaven. (I also learned from a high school English teacher that animals are never to be referred to as “he or she,” a fact which horrified me)."

A heaven for all

Popes go back and forth on the topic, and while none have come out and stated that animals go to heaven (Pope Francis came the closest), there have been those that stated they do not.

"Pope Pius IX is among the first of the popes to fully address the issue of animals going to heaven, though not favorably. He said that heaven is a place reserved for those with souls and a conscience, which animals don’t have. He is even reported to have opposed the founding of an animal anticruelty society in Rome in the 19th century “on the ground that to grant permission would imply that human beings have duties to the lower creatures,” says Peter Singer, an Australian philosopher who writes about animal rights."

Do dogs go to heaven?

"Pope Benedict XVI said God only gives access to heaven to humans."

A heaven for all

Even this article states that Catholicism teaches animals cannot experience heaven...

"In order to answer the question we must first define heaven. According to the Catechism, heaven is a “state of supreme, definitive happiness” that involves a perfect “communion of life and love with the Trinity, with the Virgin Mary, the angels and all the blessed” (CCC 1024).

This definitive state of human happiness and communion of life and love presupposes the powers of rational knowledge and love, which animals do not have. Therefore, no non-human animal would be able to experience “heaven” as defined."

Do Pets Go to Heaven? | Catholic Answers
Popes are like presidents.

David T

Premium Member

In what respect within this context?
They vary depending the mood of the day.

David T

Premium Member
In what respect within this context?
Scientifically yes here is photographic proof. But religiously no because its deeply rational and tends to be hyper reductive.
images (24).jpeg

David T

Premium Member
If a god creates all live including all animals (humans being one of those animals) and also has a heaven to go to, do all animals (and plants for that matter) go to heaven? I know many people who have pets that believe they have souls and believe that they will meet their pets in heaven.
Only humans according to science.
cc_footprint_16x9.jpg

Bear Wild

Ok then, so do you think that God loves the mineral part of His creation less than the rest of it--or do you think that the rocks and minerals will eventually go to heaven too, once the Earth is engulfed by the sun?

What about plants? Are they loved less by God--or do you think you will see that salad you had for lunch again one day in paradise?
Yes the will all go to heaven why not? Why would you want to be in a heaven with only humans on it? Life is diversity and should remain that way.

Bear Wild

Too bad others ignore such clear teachings and instead believe Pagan ideas about Heaven and Hell.
Are you putting down pagan beliefs? Tell me who do you include as pagans? Native American beliefs, Shinto beliefs, Buddhist beliefs, Norse pre-Christian beliefs, Celtic pre-Christian beliefs, Hindu beliefs?

Axe Elf

Prophet
Yes the will all go to heaven why not? Why would you want to be in a heaven with only humans on it? Life is diversity and should remain that way.

Ok. I probably wouldn't have engaged with you if I had known from the start that you believed that rocks go to heaven.