• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DNA will best solve if IndoEuropeans were a major part of the IndusValley Civilization at its climax

Onasander

I've seen this play out on Twitter, large Indian DNA groups.

Most of the recent focus has been on linking pictures and modern phenotypes to regional DNA.... which is quite reasonable (duh) to ancient population movements.... which is trickier. You have the problem of religious presumptions of descent, belief in the purity of castes and ethno groups (hahaha) and the idea that where people are is where they always were, or that their religious texts said they were (or modern ideas on where they ought to of been) come into play.

Half support the Aryan invasion theory, half don't. The half that doesn't is currently doing badly due to a recent paradigm shift in testing animals.... many such as horses are not native to India (count the ribs) but come from the steppe.

However alot of silliness has popped up. Many are developing weird AI assisted visual fantasies of Aryan-Buddhist white guy dynasties in the north. They type in parameters and get smiling images back of leopard skin Buddhist monks doing yoga looking like they are skateboarders from California.

I partially support the Aryan migration theory, but on the basis of parallels from sumerian and rg veda poems to surviving modern myths in the caucuses. Lots of strong connections. I doubt they toppled the harappan civilization though.

I also set up the challenge with those bullying the dravidians too much with the lactose intolerance problem. If these guys think they are pure brahmin, then why can't most Hindus digest western milk from the steppe cows when they migrate to America or Europe? Most are considered lactose intolerant in the west and it comes as a shock to these ghee eaters. If they can't digest the Aryan steppe diet of western milk proteins, then they are unlikely to be of the ancestry they think they are.

I've also brought up other issues, such as the Indo-Greek states. Many in the north swear they are light skin due to Alexander's Greeks, but I point out Alexander's men didn't march with Macedonian women in tow. They married local.... the idea of Aristotle to mix the races. Within a single generation Most Greeks in India would of turned brown. In Iran lighter, but India Brown. So the result of my pointing this out has been pics of Greek raiders looking like dravidian pirates raiding the carnatic coast. And it could of happened, but still, I'm pointing out how fluid the various sources joining together with tech is.

But it's definitely seems to be leaning in the Aryan invasion theories camp favor as of late. Give it a decade or two more for the wild theories to burn out from criticism. But they seem to have the most support from facts. As a non-Indian myself who just see the vedics as just one of many invaders who caught on like a meme in modern Hinduism, I have no horse in that race other than a healthy love of history. I'm seeing too many claiming likewise Hindus been around for 10,000 to 20,000 years bullcrap, and Aryan invasion theory was British propaganda..... like I said, the two camps have similar popular pull and equal numbers of wackos. I'm generally dismissive of the British Bad, so no Aryan Invasion, Tamil forever arguments.