• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DNA bank yes or no?

Should there be a DNA bank?

• Yes

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Depends (elaborate in reply)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nimos

I have been watching a lot of crime series lately and as most people know DNA is very good for identification. So for fun I looked up whether we had a DNA bank (not sure what its called) or not, which hold DNA for all Danish people.

And found that it is not the case and from what I could understand the main reason for this is due to an individuals right to privacy.

So was just interested in hearing if people is against such thing or for it, and what reason you have for your point of view? Also if you know, if your country already have such thing and if you have heard good or bad things about it.

(Obviously it depends on the country you live in etc. how it was used, lets say only for solving crimes, accidents, identification of people.)

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
And found that it is not the case and from what I could understand the main reason for this is due to an individuals right to privacy.
Privacy means that you, the individual, can be trusted. It means you are supporting society. It means you are important and a decision-maker.

Part of the reasoning behind the right to privacy is that the government is not always trustworthy. It (the bureaucracy) always assumes it is trustworthy when it is actually run by a lot of people who are not. They also have terrible reasoning when it comes to guilt such as "Well if you weren't guilty then you wouldn't be investigated would you?" or "If you are innocent then you have nothing to hide do you?" and "The government wouldn't accuse someone falsely! That's ridiculous!" Sometimes it seems like people in government believe themselves to be incapable of error.

Even so, it is not the case that DNA of family members can help in criminal cases. You don't have to find an exact match to infer that someone is guilty. If DNA is found at the scene of a crime and someone is suspect but won't give DNA then family members can be tested.

Nimos

Privacy means that you, the individual, can be trusted. It means you are supporting society. It means you are important and a decision-maker.

Part of the reasoning behind the right to privacy is that the government is not always trustworthy. It (the bureaucracy) always assumes it is trustworthy when it is actually run by a lot of people who are not. They also have terrible reasoning when it comes to guilt such as "Well if you weren't guilty then you wouldn't be investigated would you?" or "If you are innocent then you have nothing to hide do you?" and "The government wouldn't accuse someone falsely! That's ridiculous!" Sometimes it seems like people in government believe themselves to be incapable of error.

Even so, it is not the case that DNA of family members can help in criminal cases. You don't have to find an exact match to infer that someone is guilty. If DNA is found at the scene of a crime and someone is suspect but won't give DNA then family members can be tested.
But lets assume that its a robbery or something, the chance is that robber would leave DNA traces on the scene. So it doesn't really help that you can test family members if you don't know who to suspect in the first place?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
But lets assume that its a robbery or something, the chance is that robber would leave DNA traces on the scene. So it doesn't really help that you can test family members if you don't know who to suspect in the first place?
Lets suppose, instead, that you are a political fugitive. You are a journalist who has disagreed with a powerful politician and are a threat to their authority, and they are using the DNA bank and DNA detectors to track you down. Are you glad, now, that there is a DNA bank?

Nimos

More seriously the US already effective has one:

But this is not a complete one from what I could understand, meaning that it is only people of interest and former criminals if I understood it correctly. I do think we have something like that in Denmark as well. But im talking about something where you took from everyone, lets say birth for newborns and others would just be collected in whatever way.

Nimos

Lets suppose, instead, that you are a political fugitive. You are a journalist who has disagreed with a powerful politician and are a threat to their authority, and they are using the DNA bank and DNA detectors to track you down. Are you glad, now, that there is a DNA bank?
Im only referring to it being used in crimes or accidents to identify people, not like a google search engine for everyone.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I think the first case that was tried using this sort of evidence occurred in my city. The police were very sure that a particular person was guilty. But since this was rather new science it was not enough evidence for a court ordered DNA test. So the city had some detectives put him under surveillance and when he tossed a used coffee cup or something of the like they picked it up and ran a DNA test on that. It matched their decades old sample.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
But this is not a complete one from what I could understand, meaning that it is only people of interest and former criminals if I understood it correctly. I do think we have something like that in Denmark as well. But im talking about something where you took from everyone, lets say birth for newborns and others would just be collected in whatever way.
No, it is very complete. Watch the video for an explanation why. Many people that used various DNA tests gave an okay to look for other relatives. As a result almost everyone in the US is covered.

We Never Know

No Slack
I have been watching a lot of crime series lately and as most people know DNA is very good for identification. So for fun I looked up whether we had a DNA bank (not sure what its called) or not, which hold DNA for all Danish people.

So was just interested in hearing if people is against such thing or for it, and what reason you have for your point of view? Also if you know, if your country already have such thing and if you have heard good or bad things about it.

(Obviously it depends on the country you live in etc. how it was used, lets say only for solving crimes, accidents, identification of people.)

I think most people arrested are swabbed for DNA. They do have a DNA database.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member

I'm not sure I understand the concept you are going for. Is it banking DNA samples in some sort of biological archive?

Would cloning be used for identity theft?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand the concept you are going for. Is it banking DNA samples in some sort of biological archive?

In post number five the OP implies that the bank could be used for identifying people. The example he used was DNA left at a crime scene.

And if you watch the video I provided from the information at Ancestry dot com and other such sites that allowed a fair amount of sharing, the US effectively has a DNA data bank already.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not sure I can answer as to whether it would be a good thing to have a complete bank of everyone's DNA but as we get more information in any such bank, for whatever reasons, one should perhaps hope one is a single child, since culprits have been located in crimes because a relative's DNA was on such and further detective work led on to said culprit. :oops:

Nimos

Basically its just a place where citizens DNA is kept, for instance when someone is born you could take a sample and store it there, should something happen and the police find some DNA, but don't know who it is, they could run it against this DNA bank and find out who it is.

Not sure what you mean by cloning?

Nimos

No, it is very complete. Watch the video for an explanation why. Many people that used various DNA tests gave an okay to look for other relatives. As a result almost everyone in the US is covered.
I didn't have time to watch all of it.

Would be interesting to know if the crime solving rate is higher here than countries which doesn't have this or one as extensive.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

So was just interested in hearing if people is against such thing or for

It's a double edge sword.

While useful, there's also a huge if not inevitable potential for abuse and minuplation.

exchemist

Veteran Member

In the UK, suspects arrested by the police may have to give a sample which is recorded in the DNA database. However, no member of the general public has to provide a sample. I understand there are now some 3.5 million records, amounting to about 5% of the UK population. By law, these records can only be used in relation to criminal investigations. However there are concerns that samples can be taken and recorded, even from people who are never charged with any offence, or are charged but subsequently acquitted.

It comes down to the issue of how far one trusts the state not to abuse the data, and how far one trusts it not to make mistakes using it. Personally I struggle to see how this type of information could be abused. But I have no difficulty at all in seeing how the police could screw it up and convict the wrong person.;)