• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divine Revelation in Hindu Religions versus Abrahamic Religions

InvestigateTruth

In Abrahamic Religions, it is believed that there are Messengers of God who have come with new covenant each time and each brought a set of teachings or commandments from divinity. Example of these Messengers are Noah, Abraham and Moses.
There are also other prophets such as the Jewish Prophets (Daniel, Ezekiel), who did not bring commandments, but according Bible, the saw visions and dreams, and prophesied about future events.

Now, regardless of the usage of the Terms 'prophet', and 'Messenger', how different is the idea of inspiration in Hinduism.
Essentially both Religions claim that a God or gods communicated to humanity.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
In Abrahamic Religions, it is believed that there are Messengers of God who have come with new covenant each time and each brought a set of teachings or commandments from divinity. Example of these Messengers are Noah, Abraham and Moses.
There are also other prophets such as the Jewish Prophets (Daniel, Ezekiel), who did not bring commandments, but according Bible, the saw visions and dreams, and prophesied about future events.

Now, regardless of the usage of the Terms 'prophet', and 'Messenger', how different is the idea of inspiration in Hinduism.
Essentially both Religions claim that a God or gods communicated to humanity.
Not that different, if you look at both through that lens.
I guess the belief that Dharma is an eternal constant law might be what separates them?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Depends who you ask. In my view, they are as different as night and day. I say this because the messages are very different. The examples on core theology are contradictory. So either the messages being 'sent' are contradictory, or God sends different messages to different people' Here are a few off the top of my head. I can get many more.

In Abrahamism there is always this need for a prophet, one guy (so far has always been male) that is the central figure, knows more than anyone else, is almost God, or God's son. He has a special place, and so do his followers, chosen people. But in Sanatana Dharma, that concept could be argued to exist in the concept of avatar, but the avatar is God. Much of Hinduism doesn't have that concept. Certainly, there is no chosen people. All people are the same, essentially, extensions of God.

In Abrahamism, there has to be laws. Irreffutable ones, called God's law. In Hinduism, God just is. It's men who make laws.

Sin ... in Abrahamism, man is essentially a sinner. In Sanatana Dharma, man is essentially divine.

Heaven, hell, versus reincarnation and moksha.

There is no concept equivalent to karma in Abrahamic faiths. Suffering is explained by 'God does what God wants to do."

Much of Abrahamism is dualistic, much of Sanatana dharma is monistic.

Homosexuality ... it's abhorrent in much of Abrahamism, just accepted as withingthe diversity of life in Hinduiam.

I do realise that universalists see a lot of common ground. But generally they change or misinterpret either of both system to make it seem that way.

I also see nothing at all inherently wrong with differences. Diversity is what makes this world tick. Going around looking for similarities as a focal point is pointless, in my view. It's much easier just to respect people for who they are ... human beings worthy of it.

(My prediction is within 10 posts)

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
With regard to scripture I read a quote just this morning.

"An Abrahamic religion may be a religion of the book, but Hinduism is a religion of the library."

InvestigateTruth

Depends who you ask. In my view, they are as different as night and day. I say this because the messages are very different. The examples on core theology are contradictory. So either the messages being 'sent' are contradictory, or God sends different messages to different people' Here are a few off the top of my head. I can get many more.

In Abrahamism there is always this need for a prophet, one guy (so far has always been male) that is the central figure, knows more than anyone else, is almost God, or God's son. He has a special place, and so do his followers, chosen people. But in Sanatana Dharma, that concept could be argued to exist in the concept of avatar, but the avatar is God. Much of Hinduism doesn't have that concept. Certainly, there is no chosen people. All people are the same, essentially, extensions of God.

In Abrahamism, there has to be laws. Irreffutable ones, called God's law. In Hinduism, God just is. It's men who make laws.

Sin ... in Abrahamism, man is essentially a sinner. In Sanatana Dharma, man is essentially divine.

Heaven, hell, versus reincarnation and moksha.

There is no concept equivalent to karma in Abrahamic faiths. Suffering is explained by 'God does what God wants to do."

Much of Abrahamism is dialistic, much of Sanatana dharma is monistic.

Homosexuality ... it's abhorrent in much of Abrahamism, just accepted as withingthe diversity of life in Hinduiam.

I do realise that universalists see a lot of common ground. But generally they change or misinterpret either of both system to make it seem that way.

I also see nothing at all inherently wrong with differences. Diversity is what makes this world tick. Going around looking for similarities as a focal point is pointless, in my view. It's much easier just to respect people for who they are ... human beings worthy of it.

(My prediction is within 10 posts)

Thanks for all your point of views. My question is more related to how God communicates to mankind.
So, in your view, in your religion of Himduism, does God communicate with human beings in a clear way? By clear way, I mean. Specifically tells them, I am God. If yes, does He do that only to some people or to all people, and equally? If No, why not?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks for all your point of views. My question is more related to how God communicates to mankind.
So, in your view, in your religion of Himduism, does God communicate with human beings in a clear way? By clear way, I mean. Specifically tells them, I am God. If yes, does He do that only to some people or to all people, and equally? If No, why not?

In my version of Hinduism, (I can't speak for all Hindus) every person has the ability, resident within, to have God communicate to them. So although He/She would be communicating all the time, some people are better listeners. Generally older souls, those who have had man many lifetimes of learning on this planet, would be better at it than a young soul.

He would never say 'I am God'. God, in Hinduism, would never be that pretentious. He/she has nothing to prove by statements like that. Generally the messages sent are very clear. Intuitive insight as to the strength of a message to an individual would be precise and clear only to that individual, not to others. So there is a constant interplay between God and individual. It's like having a billion tutorials simultaneously. We're all individuals.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Human kind and God are one. Dharmics do not rely on a messenger of God. Though they are free to follow whomever tickles their fancy.

RoaringSilence

imagine a tree , each leaf assumes an identity of its own so do the fruits etc . as a whole its 1 tree , but in detail every part has its own story to tell. now if one of the fruits falls because it had ripened, the other fruits can either wait for their turn to ripe or complain about why dint i ripe first.

In GGS its written - karmi apo apni keh nere kis door - means each one gets their turn to get close to god based on their own karma , how ever you do get your turn for sure.some get it sooner than others. since god is AKALPURAKH (timeless ) so it doesn't matter when.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Not that different, if you look at both through that lens.

I agree.
I guess the belief that Dharma is an eternal constant law might be what separates them?
Just as followers of Hindu Religions have different views from each other, so is with the adherents of Abrahamics. Some Abrahamic believers also see the divine Law is constant and eternal. The Jews do not believe God changes Laws.

InvestigateTruth

In my version of Hinduism, (I can't speak for all Hindus) every person has the ability, resident within, to have God communicate to them. So although He/She would be communicating all the time, some people are better listeners.
What you are describing above, is what is believed in Abrahamic Religions. You are saying some people are better listeners, and therefore they would know more about what God says, and some are not as good listeners, and therefore they know much less about what God says. Fro m what you say, it can be concluded that among people, there are those who Are much closer to God's knowledge. In Abrahamic Religions, they call them Prophets, but the concept is the same.

Generally older souls, those who have had man many lifetimes of learning on this planet, would be better at it than a young soul.
Now, this part of it is reincarnation, which is not believed in Abrahamic religions.
But let me ask you this. In Hinduism religions, some believe when people are returned to the world, they may become in the form of an animal, but some Hindus believe reincarnation is always with human beings. What is the source of this difference? Is it false interpretations? Is it man made idea versus God knowledge? Who can tell which one is true?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What you are describing above, is what is believed in Abrahamic Religions. You are saying some people are better listeners, and therefore they would know more about what God says, and some are not as good listeners, and therefore they know much less about what God says. Fro m what you say, it can be concluded that among people, there are those who Are much closer to God's knowledge. In Abrahamic Religions, they call them Prophets, but the concept is the same.

Now, this part of it is reincarnation, which is not believed in Abrahamic religions.
But let me ask you this. In Hinduism religions, some believe when people are returned to the world, they may become in the form of an animal, but some Hindus believe reincarnation is always with human beings. What is the source of this difference? Is it false interpretations? Is it man made idea versus God knowledge? Who can tell which one is true?

Part 1) No, the concept is not the same. How many Abrahamic prophets are there? 10? In Hinduism, many many people get knowledge. Almost all religious people get knowledge. That's what keeps them religious. Their prayers are answered, They go to temple, get a message, go for walks, get messages. etc. It's an ongoing process, and hundreds of thousands of people have it happening to them as we speak. Some people, known as sages, or Gurus, or seers, and they would number in the hundreds of thousands over the course of history, have received enough messages to be considered wise. Never ever have they been considered the one and only true guy. Some of these have attained enlightenment, experienced the non-dual reality of Saguna Brahaman, nirvikalpa samadhi. Only a few, perhaps 10 000 in the last 5000 years. Maybe more maybe less. Most would be silent sages, working with mankind on the inside, with energies you or I couldn't possible imagine. A few exist in physical bodies, live on the planet today. It's like a secret society. Unlike in Abrahamism, where such a person would tell everyone who he is, let the world know, "I'm here, I'm here" the Hindu sages remain largely silent and unknown. They don't speak of themselves, mainly because they can't, such is their depth of realisation. If they do become well known, it's because of the unharnessed egos of their followers, not they themselves.

Part 2} Reincarnation theory varies from sect to sect, it's true. There is no 'truth' to it. Those who believe reincarnation is to human only believe that, and I suppose they have good reason. Same for the other POV. Most of this comes from trusting the teacher. If you have a teacher, and he has never been wrong in your eyes about most other stuff, then you tend to believe what he says. Other stuff comes from trusting scripture, and still other comes from trusting your own intuition. Whatever experiences you've had determine belief.

Are you here looking for an argument?

RoaringSilence

not true, hindus believe every being that has life is paying his past karmic dues or creating more, be it lower beings or even microbes, even plants , trees . human birth is considered rare because beyond the hard wired survival needs humans can opt to explore beyond, where as a lower births time is spent on hard wired activities.

GoodbyeDave

This thread is the old Baha'i maneuver. First you claim that all religions are essentially the same. Then you present yours the the new, improved edition.

Hinduism is very different to the Abrahamic religions, as has been shown, and religions like my own and Shinto are even further removed. Gods do communicate, but not with special messengers: they can and do communicate with anyone when they wish to do so. And they do not do it in order to issue a series of arbitrary decrees on how to live your life.

RoaringSilence

Part 1) No, the concept is not the same. How many Abrahamic prophets are there? 10? In Hinduism, many many people get knowledge. Almost all religious people get knowledge. That's what keeps them religious. Their prayers are answered, They go to temple, get a message, go for walks, get messages. etc.
When india got invaded by almost the entire rest of world one after the other bringing their prophets message , they found that every home in india has a personal prophet , so they gave up LOL. however we did not give up on them..we took their prophets and made idols to worship them alongside :D we have jesus statues in our temples and if muslims dont slaughter us we will make a staute of mohd. / bahaullah as well , everybody's welcome to india.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This thread is the old Baha'i maneuver. First you claim that all religions are essentially the same. Then you present yours the the new, improved edition.

Hinduism is very different to the Abrahamic religions, as has been shown, and religions like my own and Shinto are even further removed. Gods do communicate, but not with special messengers: they can and do communicate with anyone when they wish to do so. And they do not do it in order to issue a series of arbitrary decrees on how to live your life.

Yes indeed. I was just waiting for it. The #10 in my post 3 was the prediction of when Baha'i would be brought into the debate. But you beat them to it this time, lol. But there will be more I'm sure. I eagerly await. (sarcasm)

Very different paradigms. I beseech the presence of God every single day. Most of the Asian religions like Shinto do too. But ritualistic Hinduism, Shinto, Taoism, native faiths aren't part of the Big Nine legitimate religions in Baha'i faith. So it matters not. It's the nature of those religions. In some areas of India, where the Christians and Muslims have had great influence, that has changed some, sadly enough.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
When india got invaded by almost the entire rest of world one after the other bringing their prophets message , they found that every home in india has a personal prophet , so they gave up LOL. however we did not give up on them..we took their prophets and made idols to worship them alongside :D we have jesus statues in our temples and if muslims dont slaughter us we will make a staute of mohd. / bahaullah as well , everybody's welcome to india.

Sure, some folks like to cover all the bases. Not me personally, but sure. Make 'idols' of the very people who were so very set against idol worship. That should go over well. So when they come to destroy the idols in the temples, they'll be destroying their own God.

A recent video of destruction ... Outrage as video shows vandals toppling ancient temple pillars

RoaringSilence

cant really blame them or anyone for that matter , everyone's fueling their flagship.some want land some want to rule the world with a new law, but little is known about the future of earth / milky-way itself maybe we all slip in the black hole or get hit by an asteroid, while we fight to rule a planet we burden to death.

RoaringSilence

Sure, some folks like to cover all the bases. Not me personally, but sure. Make 'idols' of the very people who were so very set against idol worship. That should go over well. So when they come to destroy the idols in the temples, they'll be destroying their own God.

A recent video of destruction ... Outrage as video shows vandals toppling ancient temple pillars
karnataka is under major conversion misson ..you cant sell land to a hindu only to muslims in muslim majority areas, Bangalore will be destroyed soon by islamic extremism, since they are buying all land surrounding bangalore and made pockets which threaten hindus everyday to sell their property .

thats what happens when your religion is mostly a political tool vs spiritual goals to fight the enemy within ( anger , lust, greed , attachment , ego)

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

Part 1) No, the concept is not the same. How many Abrahamic prophets are there? 10? In Hinduism, many many people get knowledge. Almost all religious people get knowledge. That's what keeps them religious. Their prayers are answered, They go to temple, get a message, go for walks, get messages. etc. It's an ongoing process, and hundreds of thousands of people have it happening to them as we speak. Some people, known as sages, or Gurus, or seers, and they would number in the hundreds of thousands over the course of history, have received enough messages to be considered wise. Never ever have they been considered the one and only true guy. Some of these have attained enlightenment, experienced the non-dual reality of Saguna Brahaman, nirvikalpa samadhi. Only a few, perhaps 10 000 in the last 5000 years. Maybe more maybe less. Most would be silent sages, working with mankind on the inside, with energies you or I couldn't possible imagine. A few exist in physical bodies, live on the planet today. It's like a secret society. Unlike in Abrahamism, where such a person would tell everyone who he is, let the world know, "I'm here, I'm here" the Hindu sages remain largely silent and unknown. They don't speak of themselves, mainly because they can't, such is their depth of realisation. If they do become well known, it's because of the unharnessed egos of their followers, not they themselves.

Part 2} Reincarnation theory varies from sect to sect, it's true. There is no 'truth' to it. Those who believe reincarnation is to human only believe that, and I suppose they have good reason. Same for the other POV. Most of this comes from trusting the teacher. If you have a teacher, and he has never been wrong in your eyes about most other stuff, then you tend to believe what he says. Other stuff comes from trusting scripture, and still other comes from trusting your own intuition. Whatever experiences you've had determine belief.

Are you here looking for an argument?
Part one: according to Islamic traditions 124000 prophets.
When you say in Hinduism everyone gets knowledge, that is exactly what Abrahamic faiths teach. You already told me, they get different levels of knowledge as some are more listeners to God than others. So, you are describing an spectrum. On highr side of spectrum, there are those who get the highest level of knowledge, and on lower side, there are those who get the lowest level of knowledge. In Abrahamic faiths those at the highest level of spectrum are called prophets, the friends of God, and those who are inspired.
Part two this thread is in debate section, so, obviously we are debating on the subject. So, far I don't see really any difference with regards to the subject of prophets. Hindus just do not use the term prophet, but conceptually same.
And as you already pointed out, in Hinduism, Avatars are God, which is similar to concept of manifestation of God in Abrahamic faiths. You know, the mainstream Christians believe Jesus is incarnation of God. Of course not all Abrahamic followers believe God incarnnates or Manifests, but so is with Hindus. Not all believe in avatars. The point is, for most belief in Abrahamic beliefs, you can find a similar belief in one of the sects of Hinduism, if not all.
Not looking for argument, just investigating truth.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
karnataka is under major conversion misson ..you cant sell land to a hindu only to muslims in muslim majority areas, Bangalore will be destroyed soon by islamic extremism, since they are buying all land surrounding bangalore and made pockets which threaten hindus everyday to sell their property .

When I was in Madurai, I went for a walk down a back alley near our hotel. I came upon a small Murugan temple. Right beside it was a Muslim meat shop, displaying dead carcasses of calves right close to the entrance of the Hindu temple. I spoke to the temple owner who was discouraged by the obvious but legal and nasty attempt to harass. That's the kind of thing we face.