• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divine feminine pantheism?

Araceli Cianna

Lately I've become interested in naturalistic pantheism, and I like the symbolic metaphor for the Universe being the Divine Feminine. Are there any religions/movements like that?

Closest I can think is Shaktism, as Shaktism is nondualistic with Shakti considered the Manifest Universe.

Kirran

Premium Member
There are forms of Neo/Paganism which focus more on the feminine aspects of the Divine. But really you can find that feminine aspect in God regardless of tradition, simply through your own experience.

Kirran

Premium Member
Thanks, are you able to list any? I've been doing some research, but just need pointers

First one off the top of my head is Dianic Wicca, which is almost fundamentalist about it at times.

But to be honest, if you go into the general sphere of Paganism, or of Wicca more specifically, you'll find plenty of people who are relating to and engaging with the feminine aspect, it's just not formally organised.

Liu

To me personally, a gendered pantheism is pretty paradoxical. But if you can connect with it better, then sure, go ahead :)

I think it's quite widespread to identify pantheistic concepts of deity as feminine if the idea stems from deity = nature/objective universe. Even in Judaism, the creation-aspect of god is conceptualized as the female Shekina.
And I can only agree with your and Kirran's ideas; Shaktism and Wicca would also be my first ideas on it.

But there are some other goddesses that come to my mind which could be interpreted to fit as well:
Creator/All-mother goddesses like Tiamat (Sumerian/Akkadian) and Babalon (Thelemic) (they have consorts, but you can re-interpret the myths)
Discordia/Eris (in the Discordianistic interpretation) - she's among the deities I can relate to best and whose names I use for the divine all.
Earth goddesses, if that's your thing. There are a ton, so I'm not going to list them.

Kirran

Premium Member
Keep in mind of course that the feminine is in the masculine and vice versa, and that ultimate the Divine transcends such a duality.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Trika believes that the Universe is Shiva in the form of Shakti. That the Universe is Shakti, the active, manifest part to the inactive, unmanifest Shiva aspect. It's Shaivite though and many interpretations are more panetheistic than naturalist pantheistic.

Araceli Cianna

Thank you all, I feel after some musing that an eclectic Goddess centered Wiccan practice is exactly what I need right now. :)