• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Divination

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Divination is used by many people of various faiths. Some systems are complex and used by many within the religion(I'm thinking Jyotish here), while others have been adapted to fit into many paths, or may be used by people without a specific tradition(tarot comes to mind).

Are there any divination systems or tools that come from your tradition? Are there any methods from other traditions you've adapted into your practices?

Bonus question: Are there any stories of religious figures using divination within your religion? How did that turn out for them?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
The Dalai Lama uses divination to recognize reincarnated monks for one example. He's a pretty respectable source that makes me give more respect to divination.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Are there any divination systems or tools that come from your tradition? Are there any methods from other traditions you've adapted into your practices?

It can be a bit weird to think about it in this way because contemporary Paganism is reconstructive. What does it mean to conclude something is from "our" traditions versus "their" traditions? Are these delineations important or meaningful, and if so, in what way and why?

For the most part I concern myself less with those types of questions and more with "can this tradition be adapted in an appropriate and respectful way into my practice?" and then "how do I then make this mine so I connect with it deeply and meaningfully?"

Many years ago, I did this process with runes. A mentor encouraged selecting one of the different futhark and ritually crafting a set. Then, instead of using canned meanings we were to commune with each rune. In this way we developed deeply personal connections with each symbol and in effect crafted our own system of divination with the runes. This same intuitive process is encouraged in various mystery schools as well, and if you put the work and the time in it's a fantastic method.

Consequentially, one could say the runes "come from" an outsider's tradition (I am not any stripe of Nordic-inspired Pagan) but also "come from" my own because I made it my own.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I always save the fortune cookie until after the General Tso’s chicken is completely gone. Then I pull it apart carefully, making sure not to lay eyes upon the paper inside until the cookie has been consumed.

It is only through this method and this method alone, that the numinous scroll within will reveal something truly special and relevant to the here and now.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

It can be a bit weird to think about it in this way because contemporary Paganism is reconstructive. What does it mean to conclude something is from "our" traditions versus "their" traditions? Are these delineations important or meaningful, and if so, in what way and why?

For the most part I concern myself less with those types of questions and more with "can this tradition be adapted in an appropriate and respectful way into my practice?" and then "how do I then make this mine so I connect with it deeply and meaningfully?"

Many years ago, I did this process with runes. A mentor encouraged selecting one of the different futhark and ritually crafting a set. Then, instead of using canned meanings we were to commune with each rune. In this way we developed deeply personal connections with each symbol and in effect crafted our own system of divination with the runes. This same intuitive process is encouraged in various mystery schools as well, and if you put the work and the time in it's a fantastic method.

Consequentially, one could say the runes "come from" an outsider's tradition (I am not any stripe of Nordic-inspired Pagan) but also "come from" my own because I made it my own.

It can be hard to know how to word things when one is still half asleep... :D (There wasn't enough activity for my liking upon waking, so I created some of my own...)

I do like the personal process you mention here, that you went through with your runes. I think being able to bond with your tool or method is an important aspect on whether or not you will be successful with it.

I think one struggle I've had with tarot is that the images feel 'severe', and a little alien. Any time I've tried to get into it(because I like the idea of it), I end up stepping back sooner or later because I feel uncomfortable with it. Last night, I ran across a Hindu oriented deck which I'm considering. Looking at the card images that were shown, I found much more 'warmth' and familiarity radiating from it than most of the other decks I've encountered. Its true, tarot doesn't belong to the Hindu system, but here is an example of something being made meaningful cross tradition.

Many use astrology (whether the Indian, Western, or Chinese version), regardless of what path they're on.

I think my favorite divination tool is the I-Ching, even though it doesn't come from my tradition. I think it was first presented to me when I was in my early 20s. It was easy to learn, but most of all, I liked the 'kindness' that emanated from it. A book that spoke like a friend... to this day, I get chills thinking about the time I consulted it with tears streaming down my face, and it said "do not cry; be like the sun at mid-day".

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I practice Oneiromancy (dream divination), Astrology, and Tarot. I also look for "meanings" in experiences in nature.

With my personal practice, it is more of an art that assumes psychological function rather than supernatural.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I practice Oneiromancy (dream divination), Astrology, and Tarot. I also look for "meanings" in experiences in nature.

With my personal practice, it is more of an art that assumes psychological function rather than supernatural.

I tend to think of it all as an art, too.

Viker

Häxan
I use necromancy, sigils/symbology and our coven uses fire (fire reading) as well. I also use demonography or a practice of communing with and then recording/relaying interaction with the demonic. It's on par with necromancy similar to spirit writing.

I also don't mind playing with Tarot either. But I take the aforementioned more to heart.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I think one struggle I've had with tarot is that the images feel 'severe', and a little alien. Any time I've tried to get into it(because I like the idea of it), I end up stepping back sooner or later because I feel uncomfortable with it. Last night, I ran across a Hindu oriented deck which I'm considering. Looking at the card images that were shown, I found much more 'warmth' and familiarity radiating from it than most of the other decks I've encountered. Its true, tarot doesn't belong to the Hindu system, but here is an example of something being made meaningful cross tradition.

Yeah, the type of deck can make a big difference. Sometimes just in terms of aesthetics, sometimes in terms of how the divinatory system is structured. My experience with tarot decks is that they have their own sort of animate spirit to them that impacts how they resonate with you. They can "call" to you, so to speak. That probably sounds a bit weird, I know.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yeah, the type of deck can make a big difference. Sometimes just in terms of aesthetics, sometimes in terms of how the divinatory system is structured. My experience with tarot decks is that they have their own sort of animate spirit to them that impacts how they resonate with you. They can "call" to you, so to speak. That probably sounds a bit weird, I know.

Yeah, I'm really picky about which divinatory methods I use and wait until I feel pulled to a certain deck, or set. Which as it stands is why I only have two decks and 1 rune set I use. I've got the Wildwood Tarot, and the Thoth tarot. And a hematite rune set.