• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

divination via poetry

jasonwill2

I've had a few instances of divination via poetry, and it seems to work really well for my right-brained mind.

Anyone else use poetry for divination? I don't even mean to do it, and most of my divination is about myself, a situation I was directly involved in, or about the nature of god/satan.

jasonwill2

I truly believe that sort of insight is not uncommon.

well in the more recent cases numerology was involved too.

As well the speicifc instances I am thinking of were about something that many hours before hand couldnt figure out of going over it. Took one stupid poem to kill 3 birds with one stone with lots of trouble with metaphysics and numerology.

Anyway, I think that it's probably mundane, but that I've found it extremely useful for some reason. Can't say I would trust a divination about x or y perosn though in a poem, too much room for error.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you mean, divination via poetry? What is your specific methodology?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
All divination has a methodology. I'm asking because I don't understand how you are doing divination by use of poetry. I can think of several possible ways you can do it, but I don't know how YOU were doing it. I don't know if you're flipping through a book of poetry until you find something that strikes you as revelatory or if you're writing your own poetry. You haven't told us how you're doing this at all. It sounds like you're writing your own, but it would be interesting to hear more details about the method.

jasonwill2

All divination has a methodology. I'm asking because I don't understand how you are doing divination by use of poetry. I can think of several possible ways you can do it, but I don't know how YOU were doing it. I don't know if you're flipping through a book of poetry until you find something that strikes you as revelatory or if you're writing your own poetry. You haven't told us how you're doing this at all. It sounds like you're writing your own, but it would be interesting to hear more details about the method.

Who says there should be a method to it? I write a poem on some subject, and then somehow suddenly realize something.

According to teh Divination overview, divination via poetry is called "Rhapsodomancy".

Divination is just gaining spiritual knowledge and insight. You could do this with some big ritual, but i find that all the really really deep revelations are not intended but directed.

The one poem that first comes to mind is how I came up with the seven and two hidden in nine manifestations of God. Basically my problem was solved by realizing there was numerology hidden in the way that my years played out in my life, and 7 WAS the key, just as the numerology and the drawing to a certain sigil was telling me.

I'm guessing you want to see that poem now?

jasonwill2

I don't recall all my reasoning on this, but this is what I got when I was done. The first draft was more like a straight line of thought and long ramble on the end. The divination I had from this poem is revealed in here, and it was really that the poetry helped me solve the numerology involved, and it solved my problems not just with numbers, but dualities and the hierarchy of aspects of God.

This was what I made after writing this poem, to lay out my revelations:

metaphysicsbeliefs1.png

I can't emphasize enough though how important the realization of the numbers seven and two were, or how important the number seven is for me. The two helped me finally accept dualities, and the seven I first attributed to Leviathan but then to That Which Extends Within and Without, and it all fell into place. I solved many, many issues I had by writing this poem by how it opened my mind to understanding the numerology involved. I kept thinking that the numbers 3 and 5 were probably important, but it turned out that 2 and 9 is what I should of considered. Just my luck though, that I already had 9 titles of god by complete accident, eh?

The Number of God
(-jasonmwill2 original poem)

Seven years, were the Tribulations.
Two sets of seven,
Put into trials,
Making nine.

Year one:
Promises and fulfillment of peace.
As The Holy Spirit invaded.
Year Two:
Steadfast faith,
As I was indoctrinated.

It was the beginning of the End,
The coming of the Apocalypse,
As the 7 Gods laid dormant.

Year three:
Things start to fall apart,
As someone leaves me.
Year four:
I Trust in myself,
As I become a heretic.

It was the intermission,
The calm before the storm,
The last half slowing giving way to trials.

Year Five: Pure Hell,
As my blood ran.
Year six:
I tried to reunite with Yahweh,
As I failed.

It was only a prequel,
To the next three.
Making two sevens, hidden in nine.

Year seven:
I found the decrepit throne,
As it set upon a hill.
Year eight:
I surely had lost my faith,
As the lies gathered.

It had only started,
When the second seven reached it's last year,
I nearly died.

Year nine:
I was tortured,
As Christians destroyed me.

Seven years, of Christian faith.
Seven years, of Tribulations.
Two sevens, two and seven.
Making nine, the number of Satan,
Always returning to itself.

But seven? Two? Nine?
I always was, I just never knew;
That the seven Gods laid dormant,
Only to be awoken:

That Which Extends Within and Without: God.
The Vessel: God.
The Mirror: God.
The Hand of Creation: God.
The Blade of Destruction: God.
Leviathan: God.
The Flesh: God.

But also, is it not,
That The Propagator of Progress, Is God?
That The Accuser of Man, Is God?

Two Sevens, hidden in nine,
The Hand, or Progress?
The Blade, or Accusation?
Two sevens... indeed hidden in nine.

Which is which of the years, that was the Tribulation?
Which is which of the Gods, that make seven?
Two sets of seven, or simply nine?
Seven is the key, made into dualities.

Hail My Lord, who's numbers are two and seven, hidden in nine.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a method. I'm asking about methods because that way someone else can replicate what you did and see if it works for them. My question really isn't that complicated. *laughs* Basically, if you were to teach someone else to do this, how would they do it? What is divination by poetry? How does it work? I don't need to see the actual poem. You've sated part of my curiosity by clarifying "I write a poem on some subject, and then somehow suddenly realize something." Did you make any special preparations (like candles and incense, prior meditation, etc) or is this something you can do spontaneously even in a noisy room? Is it kind of like a trance-state when you do it or is it more like an everyday state of consciousness?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Man, this looks pretty fascinating. It's why I'm bugging you with all these questions. I'm sorry if it's coming across as annoying. >_<;

jasonwill2

There's a method. I'm asking about methods because that way someone else can replicate what you did and see if it works for them. My question really isn't that complicated. *laughs* Basically, if you were to teach someone else to do this, how would they do it? What is divination by poetry? How does it work? I don't need to see the actual poem. You've sated part of my curiosity by clarifying "I write a poem on some subject, and then somehow suddenly realize something." Did you make any special preparations (like candles and incense, prior meditation, etc) or is this something you can do spontaneously even in a noisy room? Is it kind of like a trance-state when you do it or is it more like an everyday state of consciousness?

Hell no, I just did my own routine for writing some inspirational poetry... quite literally a ritual but it wasn't for magical intent, just writing poetry. I just get into a state of right-brained mind, listen to music, and open a blank wordpad (I only use word processor to touch up after the main inspiration is spent because all the options distract and features me). Then I type away at what words start coming to mind to see what comes out.

The very idea that you can reproduce a revelation or divination is redicious to me. Some methods work for some people, some do not for others. Some may find that something simliar to what I do work for them, but the nature of their own revelations will probably be vastly different and manifest in different ways. Do you think that people can just go and do a ritual, and every time get some secret knowledge? I don't. Too many factors, to many hands in it, and maybe nothing is going to even be there that day to give it. The way the dice fall is more often how you throw it and the air currents in your room, not some spirits moving it. Divination for me, the kind of Divination that I do, is more about catalysts for revelation and routing my thought patterns to other avenues that can work around an issue that I couldn't figure out or understand with ordinary thought-processes. the kind of supernatural divination where a spirit tells me somethign is much more rare and I can count those instances on one hand for me, and even they were not planned.

I don't think you can really "plan" a spiritual or life-changing revelation anyways.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
This is some ancient ****.

Unfortunately I can't think of any links you wouldn't think were totally lame. :rolleyes: :D

apophenia

I wish I still had all the poetry, prose and letters which were stolen from the back seat of my car years ago. Everything I had written from age 16 to 30. It was like someone had stolen my soul.

One collection I particularly remember certainly fits the idea of divination (actually lots did, but some in such a personal way there is no point discussing it, and some in ways I failed to perceive). I had begun doing drawings which were like mandalas. Well, the more correct word is yantra - usually circular symmetrical designs used, as Ram Dass (Richard Alpert) said, as 'heuristic centering devices'.

The designs were made using waveform shapes, like you see on a digital audio editor like Audacity. They were looped together in square or circular forms. This was before the days of PCs and digital audio. One of them, the last in the series, had the words 'in retrospect' written in flowing waveform-like script which merged with the overall design.

Years later, I discovered digital audio (late 70s), and for many years since, my life has involved lots of time making audio loops. So the 'yantras' made perfect sense in retrospect.

Various of the poems included references to the coming art of digital audio, but only revealed their meaning in retrospect.

A mundane example, but it was as if I was time-travelling and sending messages back to myself.

I remember making a pact with some mushrooms in 1983, and they explained to me a method of using fourier transforms to compress audio into a very small amount of data. Basically, it was insanely efficient (more efficient than MP3 which emerged over a decade later), but I was not entrepreneurial, so I'm not rich now.:(

What I am saying I guess, is that poetry (or drawing, song whatever) as divination is quite real, but the poet's personal dramas conceal the meaning, or cause the poet to dismiss the meaning and move on to the next inspirational moment. Very few such illuminations come to fruition.

Your poetry may well be describing the science of your grandchildren, yet you may see it as personal reflections on your life circumstance.

'Energy fools the magician' - Brian Eno, Before and After Science (a wonderful recording, highly recommended).

jasonwill2

This is some ancient ****.

Unfortunately I can't think of any links you wouldn't think were totally lame. :rolleyes: :D

Yay for ancient arts!

I wish I still had all the poetry, prose and letters which were stolen from the back seat of my car years ago. Everything I had written from age 16 to 30. It was like someone had stolen my soul.

One collection I particularly remember certainly fits the idea of divination (actually lots did, but some in such a personal way there is no point discussing it, and some in ways I failed to perceive). I had begun doing drawings which were like mandalas. Well, the more correct word is yantra - usually circular symmetrical designs used, as Ram Dass (Richard Alpert) said, as 'heuristic centering devices'.

The designs were made using waveform shapes, like you see on a digital audio editor like Audacity. They were looped together in square or circular forms. This was before the days of PCs and digital audio. One of them, the last in the series, had the words 'in retrospect' written in flowing waveform-like script which merged with the overall design.

Years later, I discovered digital audio (late 70s), and for many years since, my life has involved lots of time making audio loops. So the 'yantras' made perfect sense in retrospect.

Various of the poems included references to the coming art of digital audio, but only revealed their meaning in retrospect.

A mundane example, but it was as if I was time-travelling and sending messages back to myself.

I remember making a pact with some mushrooms in 1983, and they explained to me a method of using fourier transforms to compress audio into a very small amount of data. Basically, it was insanely efficient (more efficient than MP3 which emerged over a decade later), but I was not entrepreneurial, so I'm not rich now.:(

What I am saying I guess, is that poetry (or drawing, song whatever) as divination is quite real, but the poet's personal dramas conceal the meaning, or cause the poet to dismiss the meaning and move on to the next inspirational moment. Very few such illuminations come to fruition.

Your poetry may well be describing the science of your grandchildren, yet you may see it as personal reflections on your life circumstance.

'Energy fools the magician' - Brian Eno, Before and After Science (a wonderful recording, highly recommended).

Could be about my grandchildren, or about many things. Though as for the dismissing thing, If I start getting bits of what seems like a divination in the middle of writting a poem, as far as I know I'll usually catch it because I just for the most part let what I think flow on the computer. If it goes off the theme or topic, I then go with this new theme I realized is the 'real' thing I need to express, or just split it into more than one poem and go with the sponatnious poem first.

Actually, for most of my poems I thought it would be about X but very quickly and naturally becomes about y, the original idea almost not there at all, if it even is still there. I've learned to just note the original idea for maybe trying later and then go with what I find coming naturally. Then I clean it up, sort it out, all that, and finish it up. Make it flow nice and basically all that. Rarely do I feel the need to change large sections but just move around some lines and amend some of them, meaning that by far and large the chances of me accidentally changing the intended meaning is very low. Then again, I usually aim for 16 lines or shorter (12 lines being my favorite length), longer poems are really hard to not need to do some major structural, omitting, and or line changes.

My posted poem had a few structural changes, but most newer drafts were changing the two sets of tribulations in how they were worded or what tramatic thing I thought was most important to mention, and how to be as extremely concise about it as possible. I recall vaguely deleting some prose rant I put in there. That, or I cut, pasted, and saved it as a wordpad document and tucked it away in my "Private thoughts" folder. I forget which. Anyways I just kept going on with the poem then. I also narrowly avoided going way off topic into some other unimportant idea. The poem was supposed to be about my holy numbers in general, and was going to express my confusion over how it didn't all mesh.. but in laying out my confusion on it, I suddenly realized that the metaphysical parts were EXACTLY like the tribulations of being two sets of seven numbers, with five overlapping elements, and with a total of nine elements. Hence "seven and two, hidden in nine." is two sets of seven that have a combined total of nine elements.

Last edited: