• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
If the changes are so severe, that the first human is in no way similar to the modern human, then he is not a human.

Do you really not get that lots and lots of tiny, almost insignificant changes can add up to a very big change?

Your 'argument' is a bit like considering an old person and saying: on the first day you were old were you so different from how you are now that you couldn't be considered old? No because it was the first day on which you were old. Conclusion: nobody can grow old.

Definition of old, of course, being that if you were not old yesterday then you can't be old today. cf #9.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Yeah but to be fair, that's just wimmin.

Wrong. Males had a 13% larger brain case than mr average man today, women about 10% larger brain case than women today.

Thus proving men have lost more brain than women.

A Vestigial Mote

If the changes are so severe, that the first human is in no way similar to the modern human, then he is not a human.
Which is why we might have a line drawn to make a distinction, and call the "new" thing something else. Why we make a distinction between chimpanzees and humans, for example. And? What is your point? That changes can become so affective that they preclude the resultant progeny of an ancestor from successfully mating with another result of that same ancestor? If so... then I wholeheartedly agree with you. Yes... such change is possible.

Look up, study, and understand the evidence for common descent that comes in the form of "endogenous retroviruses." It should be VERY easy to look up because that is a very specific term. Once you understand this evidence, it is pretty much impossible to deny common descent. I'm being 100% serious. If you don't accept common descent (that humans descended from other, prior ape species) after perusing that, specific evidence, then you are either willfully maintaining your ignorance, or you don't really understand it.

A Vestigial Mote

So, one disrespects any stranger on the street?
We don't go lauding the achievements in the realm of math and physics of STRANGERS ON THE STREET now, do we? Give me a break. Your demand for respect only hints that you likely deserve none. Add to that these ridiculous threads you keep starting to put your vast ignorance on display and one gets a very distinct idea that your "accomplishments" in the realm of math and science must be things like obtaining passing grades in primary schooling.

ChristineM

Premium Member
So, one disrespects any stranger on the street?

Nope but equally one does not respect the stranger in the street who may be a thief, a mugger, a rapist, a murderer, a terrorist. Are you honestly saying that you respect such people l

questfortruth

Nope but equally one does not respect the stranger in the street who may be a thief, a mugger, a rapist, a murderer, a terrorist. Are you honestly saying that you respect such people l
Love your enemies (Jesus Christ).

Thus, respect any human.

It is the presumption of innocence.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Love your enemies (Jesus Christ).

Thus, respect any human.

It is the presumption of innocence.

Demanding respect is far from loving your enemies.

i do not respect the people who blew my aunts arm off with a bomb and also caused me some injury and also injured over 200 other people and also made over £30 million of damage to a city centre.

I do not respect the hooligans who beat me to the ground and tried to kill my children be launching their pushchair into the busy road

I have more and i am sure you would have given them your respect before they tried to kill you... Am i right.

A Vestigial Mote

There are two possibilities:
1. In the beginning - respect,
2. In the beginning - disrespect.

I vote for respect.
"In the beginning" one may certainly respect the humanity and dignity of another individual in some general sense.

When that individual opens their mouth and demonstrates that they are not at all capable of maintaining an intellectually honest dialogue, then you very likely lose some respect for that person in the realm of academia. It doesn't mean you no longer consider them a person worthy of other forms of respect - you just don't respect their intellectual opinion. That's where you stand with me, for example. I would not trust your intellectual opinion on just about anything. It would take very large displays of much more intellectually honest behavior for me to regain any trust in your words.