• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disposition of Human Remains

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
When I was young , I decided that I would like to be " buried at sea ". It seemed to me that by doing so , I would return to the food chain . Give back to Nature , in a way . But I found out that one can not to buried at sea these days , unless they are cremated first .

As far as I know , fish don't eat ashes ... So , I figured that it wouldn't really matter , so long as I returned to the food chain . But there is a problem . By law , I can not have my body disposited of as I choose . Health concerns I suppose ?

Should I have the right to do with my dead body as I wish ? Why , or why not ?

As it is , the only way that I can see to fullfill my desires is to commit suide when I feel the time is right . To wander off into the wild , to die where none will find my body , untill it is too late for them to interfer .

Perhaps to find a nice Bear's den , early in the Spring ? But then , they would likely kill the Bears . :(

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Reef balls are a good way to be buried at sea, but you do have to be cremated. However, you get to become a pretty coral reef! Productive and beautiful. :D

Also, natural or "green" funerals are gaining in popularity. You might want to look into that if you want more control over how you are buried.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I had heard of " green funerals " but assumed that the body had to be perserved . Cool . Thanks for the link Jamaesi . :)

I would still perfer returning higher up in the food chain , but feeding humans to bears is NOT a very good idea . :)

I can see ways of getting around being buried at sea. Just get your body shipped over seas with loved ones on board and have them through you coffin into the sea.

Not sure if this is out of place, but I would like my body to be stuffed and standing at my funeral and then packed with c4 and dropped out of an air plane over the sea is that illegal?

Booko

Deviled Hen
kreeden said:
As far as I know , fish don't eat ashes ...

No, but the bacteria would make use of you. :)

So , I figured that it wouldn't really matter , so long as I returned to the food chain . But there is a problem . By law , I can not have my body disposited of as I choose . Health concerns I suppose ?

Yes and no. In some areas, it really does matter if you are interred without a vault, as something might get into the water table.

However, there are plenty of places where the custom is to inter without a sealed vault, and they manage just fine.

My religion requires an unsealed burial, provided that does not conflict with law. It's pretty much the reason you suggest -- when dead we should be treated with respect, but we should return to the earth.

Should I have the right to do with my dead body as I wish ? Why , or why not ?

Like you said, there are sometimes public health concerns. There is a reason why cremation is often practiced in areas that flood a lot. :eek:

As it is , the only way that I can see to fullfill my desires is to commit suide when I feel the time is right . To wander off into the wild , to die where none will find my body , untill it is too late for them to interfer .

Oh, fear not, Kreeden -- you can always arrange to have yourself shipped elsewhere where the customs and laws are different. If it's a return to nature that you want, I'd recommend anywhere that follows Muslims burial customs. They don't do the sealed vault thing either.

I have zip for proof of this, but I have always wondered if our penchant for interment in sealed vaults didn't have more to do with the common religious notion of bodily resurrection than any actual public health need. :shrug:

Booko

Deviled Hen
TimetoWasteTimeToWait said:
I can see ways of getting around being buried at sea. Just get your body shipped over seas with loved ones on board and have them through you coffin into the sea.

Not sure if this is out of place, but I would like my body to be stuffed and standing at my funeral and then packed with c4 and dropped out of an air plane over the sea is that illegal?
Someone might mistake you for an ex post facto suicide bomber and send the F-16s after you. :eek:

PureX

Veteran Member
You can be burried in the open ocean. Our laws don't reach past the a protective coastal limit (200 miles?).

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
PureX said:
You can be burried in the open ocean. Our laws don't reach past the a protective coastal limit (200 miles?).

International laws do however . :) I could be mistaken , but I would assume that dumping a body would be considered dumping " waste " or some such ?

Couldn't say for sure , but I would think so . Canadian Provincal Laws have a term " Indecency to a Human Body " { or something like that } that would not allow you to explode the body , plus there still would be remains .

Oh, fear not, Kreeden -- you can always arrange to have yourself shipped elsewhere where the customs and laws are different.

That is a good idea also Booko . :) But I'm not sure how practical . The cost . What are the laws concerning international shipping of bodies ? It is done , but usually only to remain the body to it's native country .

So far , the " green funeral " sounds the best to me .... although I do find the idea of just walking into the mountains to die rather ... poetic . ;)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
So far , the " green funeral " sounds the best to me .... although I do find the idea of just walking into the mountains to die rather ... poetic . ;)
If for some reason my body can not be donated to science in my will (I'll be at the Body Farm decomposing in the woods!) I want to have a natural funeral (where I'll decompose in the ground!).

Either way I will decompose! I have this sort of phobia that if I don't decompose that they'll be... trapped in my body. :eek: It's really irrational, haha.

But I do agree with that being poetic...

Ahhh, discussing our deaths!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
From the EPA

EPA said:
Burial at sea is a personal and solemn occasion.​
Requirements​
Preparation for burial Human remains shall be prepared for burial at sea and buried in accordance with accepted practices and requirements as may be deemed appropriate and desirable by the United States Navy, United States Coast Guard, or civil authority charged with the responsibility for making such arrangements. For example, local health departments may require burial or cremation permits.
The United States Navy Burial at Sea Program provides additional information.
Disposal location and measures - Non-cremated remains Burial at sea of human remains that are not cremated shall take place at least 3 nautical miles from land and in water at least 600 feet deep. Certain areas, including east central Florida, the Dry Tortugas, Florida and west of Pensacola, Florida to the Mississippi River Delta, require water at least 1800 feet deep. Refer to the Code of Federal Regulations at 40 CFR 229.1 for details. All necessary measures shall be taken to ensure that the remains sink to the bottom rapidly and permanently.
The entire source is at http://www.epa.gov/region04/water/oceans/burial.htm

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Can anyone provide more information on ways in which cremation ashes can be legally disposed? Do the laws vary from state to state?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
kreeden said:
As it is , the only way that I can see to fullfill my desires is to commit suide when I feel the time is right . To wander off into the wild , to die where none will find my body , untill it is too late for them to interfer . :(
I, too, would prefer to die by suicide, but I would prefer a neat, merciful death by lethal injection.

FREE DR. KEVORKIAN !!!!!!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
If I ever wanted to commit suicide AND be buried at sea, I would just go out to the contenental shelf. Overweight myself and swim to the bottom of an 18,000 foot sea. :D Imight get to see somethings that no man had ever seen before and the narcosis would make it all painless as I suffocate.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Can anyone provide more information on ways in which cremation ashes can be legally disposed? Do the laws vary from state to state?

I will be sure to ask my mum later, she worked at a cemetary for a few years and knows a lot about cremation.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
jamaesi said:
Ahhh, discussing our deaths!

:) Death is a natural part of life . But I have always been a little strange in that regard ... ;)

Thank for your info Netdoc . I have been lead to believe that burial at sea was only legal during war ???? I will have to look into that . :) I had never heard of " Fresh water burial " before .
BTW I like your idea of jumping into 18000 feet of water . It would be cool having the last thing I see be a gaint squid or some such creature .