• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dispensational Truth

Free4all

It's all about the blood
"Behold, I stand at the door and knock."

These words are generally quoted as an appeal to sinners, but they are not, they are addressed to a church, and to a church in whose midst Christ had once stood, but now found himself excluded and standing outside knocking for admittance.
This is the most startling thing recorded in the New Testament, that it is possible for a church to be outwardly prosperous and yet have no Christ in its midst, and be unconscious of the fact. This is a description of a Christless Church.

Excluded from his own nation, for they rejected him; excluded from his church, for he stands outside its door knocking for entrance.
How did Christ come to be outside the church? He had been within it once or there never would have been a church. How did he come to leave? It is clear that they had not thrust him out, for they do not seem to have missed his presence. They continued to worship Him, to sing His praises, and engage in all manner of Christian service, yet He had withdrawn. Why? The reason is summed up in one word - Worldliness.

But how is Christ to get back into his church? Does it require the unanimous vote or invitation of the membership? No. "If any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come into him, and will sup with him, and he with me." That is, the way to revive a lukewarm church is for individual members to open their hearts and let Christ re-enter, and thus open the door for his appearance.

The character of the church today is Laodicean, and as the Laodicean period is to continue until the church of the "new born" is taken out, we cannot hope for any great change until the Lord comes back.

Clarence Larkin

I love this book. I'm thinking about framing some of the charts so I can hang them up.

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Hi, there. I am also a dispensationalist and while I agree that Jesus has been abandoned by much of the professing church in favour of the world and it's delights I do still see the verse as an appeal to individuals and an offer by Jesus to dwell in them if they open the door to Him, I don't think Jesus is appealing to the church as an entity but to any one from that professing church:

Here is how I understand it [i'll insert my comments in these brackets]:

Rv 3v20: Behold [pay close attention] , I stand at the door [I am outside], and knock [I desire to come in]: if any man hear my voice [if any one of you hear the call of the gospel*], and open the door [and respond by inviting me in], I will come in to him[I will do just that and come into His heart**], and will sup with him, and he with me.[that person and I shall have fellowship together and commune with each other]

*Jn 10v16: And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

**Eph 3v17: That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
Rom 8v9: But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
Rom 8v10: And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

I don't think what the author wrote is wrong in what he says about Jesus being outside of that lukewarm church but I see the appeal as being made to individuals.

Free4all

It's all about the blood
Paul, I agree, first and foremost I see it as an appeal to the individual. I have never thought about it as Mr. Larkin relates it.