• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dispelled Presumptions

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
A while ago, a close friend and I were talking about dress code and women's rights, and during the conversation, she said she was against gender-based assumptions about one's beliefs, personality, etc., and then mentioned that she had been inaccurately judged by some people before for the way she wore hijab. I said, "Why? Do they think your hijab is not proper enough?" She said, "No, they think I'm wearing it because I'm forced to and not because I want to."

I had to think about the first thought that came to mind—that she was being judged for wearing it "improperly" rather than for merely wearing it—and, despite regretting that my first thought was a mistaken assumption, came out of the conversation with a rather helpful personal reminder.

Are there any particular situations, speeches/sermons, texts, etc., that have particularly given you pause and made you reconsider something about your beliefs before?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I was a little hesitant working with local churches to do community gardens and garden food donations because I'm a pretty extroverted atheist. But so far it hasn't come up, and I decided it doesn't matter. The likelihood of meeting Christians who only want the volunteers and donations to be Christian is pretty low.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, hundreds. My recollections are non-specific and my memory is poor (thanks, beer/age...), but the two that spring to mind were both kinda contradictory experiences, where I received both positive and negative reinforcement due to my gender and race.

1) A white atheist man in a black Christian country - The colour was more important than the religious belief. I remember walking into rooms that were full of black people, and automatically becoming the centre of a certain level of attention, just because of my skin colour. I remember becoming the arbitrator for disputes because I was white (and therefore educated). I remember becoming the target for verbal and occasionally physical aggression. I remember walking into exclusive clubs without a membership, and of naively bringing in local friends with me, who were immediately treated like crap (but allowed in because they were with a white man). I learnt a fair bit about myself and about racial prejudice in my time there.

2) A male primary school teacher in a female dominated industry - Again, it was the dualistic 'positive'/'negative' impact of my gender (in this case) that was memorable. I remember walking into a school as a student teacher. 6 of us, 4 girls, 2 boys. The girls were taken to their classes to meet the kids, myself and the other guy were ushered into a side room where the school talked us through expectations of how we'd behave around the kids, what to do if they hugged us, etc. Not a great feeling as an 18 year old, and very clumsily handled by the school.
I also remember parents wanting their kids in my class, purely because I was a male, which I get to some degree (I want my kids to experience a range of teachers). I remember getting my teaching job in New Guinea primarily because I was a qualified male over various more experienced females, but that was more around security considerations than outright sexism.
I also remember feeling like I was pushed up for movement into management quickly, partly because I was male, I believe. I mean, I was good at my job, but taking myself out of the picture, I saw it happen to other male teachers, so it's quite possible it happened with me too.
Again, the complexity of the impact my gender had was a key point in thinking about and altering my perception of gender, and it's impact.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are there any particular situations, speeches/sermons, texts, etc., that have particularly given you pause and made you reconsider something about your beliefs before?
Many a time like the one about existence of God/s/Goddesses. But I have been able to analyze the problems and resolve the conflicts.

pearl

I can recall two incidents that, for me, brought to the fore my gender and race. In 1964 I flew to Florida. Wanting to use the facilities in the airport I was suddenly faced with the reality that if I were not white I could not enter! The second incident brought my gender to the fore. Standing next to the priest and adminstering communion I watched as many of those in line to receive were switching lines. What gave me pause was the amount of opposition to what I believed.