• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disir

EyeofOdin

I've heard of people honoring the Disir, female ancestors, but what of the males? I've heard something about people honoring the male ancestors under the title "Alfar". Are male ancestors the same as the Alfar in Alfheim? Or do they so happen to have the same name?

I've never really gotten into Disir veneration as I generally honor my ancestors as simply "ancestors", male or female, and I don't really want to have an inequality of sexes in my devotional practices.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm still pretty unclear as to the relationship between Elves, Aesir, Vanir, and ancestors myself. I don't even really know anything about the Disir except that they exist and a special, highly private, blot was given to them on Samhain and Ostara.

I would only keep the genders of Gods separate during fertility rituals, and it wouldn't be an inequality separation.