• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussions on free will and predetermination

I'm interested in reading discussions/writings on free will and predetermination.

Specifically, what I think I'm interested in is the Christian context of this argument - concept of 'original sin' and all that.

When I was at school, in French literature classes, I studied a bit about the Jansenists and the Jesuits.

Thanks.

Like I said, I'm LOOKING to read informed discussions/debates on questions of free will and predetermination.

I'm not interested in hearing half baked interpretations.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
dannyfrankszzz said:
Like I said, I'm LOOKING to read informed discussions/debates on questions of free will and predetermination.

Umm... are you saying we only provide the latter?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
dannyfrankszzz said:

You want to read material on discussions about free will and predetermination, and not interested in 'half baked interpretations' ? - why don't you do a search on the web for articles, then?:)

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I'd suggest reading St. John Cassian's works. He had an awful lot to say on this subject as he was a contemporary of Bl. Augustine who first posited things like irresistible grace and original sin (with the understanding of inherited guilt) and was a strong critic of Augustine's theological excesses. Of course, the really strong predestination ideas weren't fully developed until people like Calvin built on Augustine's errors, but this will show you the beginning of that theological tangent. You can find Cassian's works online here:

http://www.osb.org/lectio/cassian/index.html

I'd be willing to take part in any discussion you might want to have (and I believe I'm pretty well informed on the subject) but it would be easier if you elaborated somewhat on what it is you're after.

James