• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion on the Parable of the Mustard Seed/Yeast

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I would like to hear differing opinions on Jesus' parable about the mustard seed and the bread and yeast, as mentioned here in these verses from the Christian scriptures:

Matthew 13:31 He put another parable before them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field.
Matthew 13:32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches."
Matthew 13:33 He told them another parable. "The kingdom of heaven is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened."

What do you believe that these parables mean? How do they apply to Christians?

outhouse

Atheistically
This is tricky Christine because you need to place the seed in context to 2000 years ago.

It was a evasive weed, that was hard to control or root out and destroy, much like the early movement of Christanity

That is the parallel they were seeking to convey to the readers

Awoon

I would like to hear differing opinions on Jesus' parable about the mustard seed and the bread and yeast, as mentioned here in these verses from the Christian scriptures:

Matthew 13:31 He put another parable before them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field.
Matthew 13:32 It is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is larger than all the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches."
Matthew 13:33 He told them another parable. "The kingdom of heaven is like leaven that a woman took and hid in three measures of flour, till it was all leavened."

The Kingdom of God/ heaven is a covert operation. Christianity has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

Green Kepi

Nations...people from all nations will find their security when God rules them...(Ezekiel 17:22-24).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Matthew 13:31 How about? The kingdom of heaven is equally ranked alongside an invasive plant that seems strong enough for birds to perch in it. Only very little birds, I'm sure.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I'm not really into baking enough to speak to the second, but I think the first is a reiteration of a theme that Jesus repeats throughout the Gospels: God will turn human hierarchies on their head. In the world he promises, the disadvantaged will become advantaged and those who are weak now will rule those who are strong now.

As for how it applies to Christians, I think it points to a sort of double personality (or maybe contradiction?) in modern Christianity: Jesus preaches against the establishment. I think this creates problems now that the establishment has become Christian.

Some Christians resolve this problem by believing that most of the Christian establishment aren't "real" Christians; I'm not sure if there's another way to interpret it that resolves the contradiction... maybe that we're already in the "Kingdom of God"?

Awoon

I'm not really into baking enough to speak to the second, but I think the first is a reiteration of a theme that Jesus repeats throughout the Gospels: God will turn human hierarchies on their head. In the world he promises, the disadvantaged will become advantaged and those who are weak now will rule those who are strong now.

As for how it applies to Christians, I think it points to a sort of double personality (or maybe contradiction?) in modern Christianity: Jesus preaches against the establishment. I think this creates problems now that the establishment has become Christian.

Some Christians resolve this problem by believing that most of the Christian establishment aren't "real" Christians; I'm not sure if there's another way to interpret it that resolves the contradiction... maybe that we're already in the "Kingdom of God"?

Jesus never ever mentions Christians in any of his teachings. Christians weren't invented at that time.The leaven/mustard SEED are covert operations of God's kingdom/council which is All-inclusive for humankind.

Christianity nor any religion is needed for the covert operation of God's kingdom to be operating according to Jesus' parables. People without ears to hear miss that very point of Jesus words.

FranklinMichaelV.3

I always thought it just meant that it looks small, but what it can do is great. It's an odd parable because the implication here does not seem to indicate that the Kingdom of Heaven is an actual place. Rather it seems like something that must be grown.

The part about Leaven I have no idea. But the implication here seems to focus on what people do. The kingdom of heaven is a seed, and seeds must be planted.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Christine said:
differing opinions on Jesus' parable about the mustard seed
The Kingdom of Heaven coexists with the kingdoms of this world but is replacing those kingdoms. Eventually there won't be any more kingdoms, no more leaders, no more priests. Each person will sit under their own tree and eat its fruit. No one will have to teach or be taught about God. No more gurus and disciples and love will replace arguing.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why didn't Christine ever come back to the thread?

Sorry. I had a migraine yesterday and on Saturday I don't usually get on the internet except for a few moments. But I've read through all the comments.

I've always took it to mean something that starts out small yet grows larger. Right now, the Kingdom of Heaven is just an idea- just like a mustard seed won't grow unless you plant and water it. And bread starts off with a blob of dough which hardly is a loaf of bread until it rises and is baked.
You can't really experience an idea- but Yeshua insinuates that we will come to experience it later and it will "grow" (so to speak) . (He also says it is among us- which means it is right here, we don't experience it though)

Awoon

Sorry. I had a migraine yesterday and on Saturday I don't usually get on the internet except for a few moments. But I've read through all the comments.

I've always took it to mean something that starts out small yet grows larger. Right now, the Kingdom of Heaven is just an idea- just like a mustard seed won't grow unless you plant and water it. And bread starts off with a blob of dough which hardly is a loaf of bread until it rises and is baked.
You can't really experience an idea- but Yeshua insinuates that we will come to experience it later and it will "grow" (so to speak) . (He also says it is among us- which means it is right here, we don't experience it though)

Why wouldn't we experience it. Jesus demonstrated the Kingdom by healing the sick, getting people to share (feeding the five thousand), not condemning those who lost their way.

Your answers are why I left Christian religion...everything about Jesus' teachings are pushed off to some future time that no one hopes happens.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Why wouldn't we experience it. Jesus demonstrated the Kingdom by healing the sick, getting people to share (feeding the five thousand), not condemning those who lost their way.

Your answers are why I left Christian religion...everything about Jesus' teachings are pushed off to some future time that no one hopes happens.

We do experience it right now, at least some of us do. I know I gave the impression that we don't, but I also believe what I said about it being right here among us. I see it in people I meet. I feel it at times, some days stronger than others.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Right now, the Kingdom of Heaven is just an idea
The Kingdom of Heaven is real and powerful. It has always existed imo. It need not grow as Jesus said "it is in your midst".
John 16:13 But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.
John 3:5 Very truly I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit.

It is not something growing around us. It is something to enter into.

God is holy and righteous. God's holiness and righteousness does not grow. God is complete and perfect. The Kingdom of God is a reflection of God's holiness.

God is ONE. The three lumps and the mustard plant are what people are making it. God is not making it three (like the lumps) or weak (like the mustard).

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It's not all that complicated.
The seed represents a thought....a feeling.
Small at first but it has what it takes to grow to a much larger branch work.

Any parable could then be that seed.
A redirection of your thinking.
From there....you grow.