• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discrimination Against The Mentally Ill

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
One way or another, I always sleep with me peepers covered.
bd4f43b7-dfa4-4087-9cac-e118b03cd693_1.35219845a62c4bac9144839be16c6d81.jpeg

That improves night vision. Visual Purple (rhodopsin) necessary for night vision, is only produced in full darkness.
Tried it... Can't sleep with stuff on my face...

Although... I do sleep well with a neck gaiter pulled over my face when I'm camping.... Hmmmmmm

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Tried it... Can't sleep with stuff on my face...

Although... I do sleep well with a neck gaiter pulled over my face when I'm camping.... Hmmmmmm
It's an acquired tolerance.
Now I can't sleep without something on me eyes.
Of course, me gaping maw must be in the open.

Btw....
Have you noticed that only really odd people post on RF?
Not you & me, but everyone else...with all their problems.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Blue light is especially bad.

If you can, I'd do an experiment. There are various places around the country (presuming you live in the United States) where you can go off the grid. Sometimes they are called retreat centers, sometimes they will be religious-run spiritual centers. There's one in my hometown that has hermitages that are powered by solar/wind/geothermal that you can rent out for weeks at a time. Disconnected from all the mess of electronics and computers and other circadian disruptions that too many modern humans experience, your biological clock might get back on track. Hard to say, but it's an idea I had at any rate.

My bedroom is pretty much devoid of any electronics. No TV, no computer, just a light next to my bed. I also need to keep my phone nearby because I'm on call 24/7. I also have a fan that makes white noise to block out any outside noise.

I rarely have trouble falling asleep, but I oftentimes wake up too early. My doctor suggested the possibility that it could be a case of nicotine withdrawal. After about 4 or 5 hours without a cigarette, my body seems to want one - even if I'm asleep. So I wake up.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Maybe I'll chat with him today about this. He would probably love helping me build my own cozy, little tomb...

Thank you for the suggestion... This might really help.

Start thinking of sleep as your other world, instead of an interruption of your activity.
I say that because I notice that a lot of energetic, driven people regard sleep as an interruption to their activities, almost an annoying chore.

Learning to really appreciate sleeping and dreaming, and valuing it as much as awake time, is a good idea. It can become a learned response if it isn’t how you feel now.

Setting up a good sleeping space sounds like a great idea.

Memory foam ! You gotta have a memory foam mattress topper if you want to relish being in bed.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Start thinking of sleep as your other world, instead of an interruption of your activity.

Great minds think alike bro.

I'm right there with you. And I'm doing it.

I mentioned it here on RF rather recently.

It's the Aboriginal concept "The Dreaming".

Gee-whiz, that's probably one reason that I'm functional on 2 hours of sleep. Not that it's sustainable...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Note to all.... I am headed for breakfast and to start my day...

The expression, "no rest for the wicked" comes to mind.

Peace y'all. And hope everyone has a nice day today...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Great minds think alike bro.

I'm right there with you. And I'm doing it.

I mentioned it here on RF rather recently.

It's the Aboriginal concept "The Dreaming".

Gee-whiz, that's probably one reason that I'm functional on 2 hours of sleep. Not that it's sustainable...
Should I tell you that has long term deleterious health effects,
or have you already heard that 30 times today?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Question: what should I do? I really don't know what to make of any of this. It looks like textbook discrimination and abuse of people deemed to be Mentally Ill. And after being in the ER twice in the past week seeking treatment for insomnia, I can say, during both visits, I witnessed behavior by the staff which I can only describe as systemic hatred of Mentally Ill people, especially homeless people. But I have to be honest, I think they hated me too. And all I have is insomnia.
Don't use the regular emergency room if you can get something better.

Your capital city may have an emergency mental health facility. Many do, and its better to go there than to a regular emergency room. If you visit that facility this is what will probably happen:

Take your wife with you to the emergency mental care facility if you like. They'll interview you (behind locked doors). This may take several hours. You'll have to sign a paper accepting treatment. They may prescribe a medication on the same day. They may offer to observe you for a few days. If they think you are dangerous you will not be leaving of course, but if you're not dangerous (or in danger) then you'll be allowed to come and go. In your condition going by what you have said I expect that you will be held for several days, because they will want to observe you for several reasons such making sure you're not on amphetamines. In case you are committed make sure your emergency contacts are people you trust to try to get you out as soon as possible. The more confident the staff are that you have a loving family the more comfortable they'll be about releasing you.

Just show up and explain yourself as best you can to the receptionist, that you are not able to sleep and are in a crisis. They'll be nicer than that hospital emergency room. There may be a bill, but even if you can't pay you will be seen and will be able to discuss your issue with a real psychiatrist. You will probably be interviewed by an intern, first.

The financial aspect is similar to that of a regular emergency room. They use insurance if they can, bill if they can't and then you try to make arrangements or get forgiveness etc.

If you are not committed and do not accept observation they will recommend a psychiatrist for you, but expect to be on a waiting list with that psychiatrist. No doubt it will be someone with many cases; and because you are an unknown it may some time to see them.

The most important thing is to have family you trust. If you are committed family can get you out. They can't get you out under all circumstances, but usually that makes all the difference in how your case is treated. If you have people waiting for and knowing where you are then you are Ok.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
What I have witnessed and experienced myself appears to be systemic discrimination and hatred of Mentally Ill people by the staff at this specific ER.
By the way this is probably because they are afraid of anyone who is having psychological problems. There are many stories of the violence related with psychotic problems. Emergency room staff may have some training, but they also have lots of horror stories. The last thing they want is for a crazy person to take an interest in them. Its self preservation.

Yes, its also hate; but its hate from fear probably.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
By the way this is probably because they are afraid of anyone who is having psychological problems. There are many stories of the violence related with psychotic problems. Emergency room staff may have some training, but they also have lots of horror stories. The last thing they want is for a crazy person to take an interest in them. Its self preservation.

Yes, its also hate; but its hate from fear probably.

I once asked some medical people I was around, that treated some of the conditions disclosed in the OP, how many years college they had. I appreciated their honesty, they didn't have to answer me, but most answered with an alarmingly low amount of years college or training.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I once asked some medical people I was around, that treated some of the conditions disclosed in the OP, how many years college they had. I appreciated their honesty, they didn't have to answer me, but most answered with an alarmingly low amount of years college or training.

When I was a trainee psyche nurse I was put in charge of the Intensive Care Unit on my second day ! God, the stories I could tell...
I was twenty years old. I cracked after about three months. Most did. They were churning through young recruits.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the staff was not talking to her or treating her like a human being.

America seems to be getting meaner. That's not surprising given the tone of the president, his 40+% approval rating (what more do you need to know about the character and values of the American people today?), and the values of the Republican party.

I have sleep problems, too. Not as bad as yours, but I also had some days that I was walking around on barely any sleep. Eventually I went to the doctor and he told me to cut out naps completely (which is really hard for me, but I'm trying) and to instead exercise at the time I used nap at. Also no exercising up to five hours before going to sleep.

Has everyone interested seen these recommendations? This is a more exhaustive list of do's and don't's

Good Sleep Hygiene Handout

The most common cause of insomnia is a change in your daily routine. For example, traveling, change in work hours, disruption of other behaviors (eating, exercise, leisure, etc.), and relationship conflicts can all cause sleep problems. Paying attention to good sleep hygiene is the most important thing you can do to maintain good sleep.

Do:
1. Go to bed at the same time each day.
2. Get up from bed at the same time each day. Try to maintain something close to this on weekends.
3. Get regular exercise each day, preferably in the morning. There is good evidence that regular exercise improves restful sleep. This includes stretching and aerobic exercise.
4. Get regular exposure to outdoor or bright lights, especially in the late afternoon.
5. Keep the temperature in your bedroom comfortable.
6. Keep the bedroom quiet when sleeping.
7. Keep the bedroom dark enough to facilitate sleep.
8. Use your bed only for sleep (and sexual activity). This will help you associate your bed with sleep, not with other activities like paying bills, talking on the phone, watching TV.
9. Establish a regular, relaxing bedtime routine. Relaxing rituals prior to bedtime may include a warm bath or shower, aromatherapy, reading, or listening to soothing music.
10. Use a relaxation exercise just before going to sleep or use relaxing imagery. Even if you don’t fall asleep, this will allow your body to rest and feel relaxed.
11. Keep your feet and hands warm. Wear warm socks to bed.
12. Designate another time to write down problems & possible solutions in the late afternoon or early evening, not close to bedtime. Do not dwell on any one thought or idea—merely jot something down and put the idea aside.

Adapted from: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/Info-sleep hygiene.pdf Search | com.com http://www.tufts.edu/med/phfm/pdf/fm-handouts/SleepHygiene.pdf

Don't:
1. Exercise just before going to bed. Try to keep it no closer than 3-4 hrs before bed.
2. Engage in stimulating activity just before bed, such as playing a competitive game, watching an exciting program on television or movie, or having an important discussion with a loved one.
3. Have caffeine in the evening (coffee, many teas, chocolate, sodas, etc.)
4. Read or watch television in bed.
5. Use alcohol to help you sleep. It actually interrupts your sleep cycle.
6. Go to bed too hungry or too full.
7. Take another person's sleeping pills.
8. Take over-the-counter sleeping pills, without your doctor's knowledge. Tolerance can develop rapidly with these medications.
9. Take daytime naps. If you do, keep them to no more than 20 minutes, 8 hrs before bedtime.
10. Command yourself to go to sleep. This only makes your mind and body more alert.
11. Watch the clock or count minutes; this usually causes more anxiety, which keeps you up.
12. Lie in bed awake for more than 20-30 minutes. Instead, get up, go to a different room (or different part of the bedroom), participate in a quiet activity (e.g. non-excitable reading), and then return to bed when you feel sleepy. Do not turn on lights or sit in front of a bright TV or computer, this will stimulate your brain to wake up. Stay in a dark, quiet place. Do this as many times during the night as needed.
13. Succumb to maladaptive thoughts like: “Oh no, look how late it is, I’ll never get to sleep” or “I must have eight hours of sleep each night, if I get less than eight hours of sleep I will get sick.” Challenge your concerns and avoid catastrophizing. Remember that we cannot fully control our sleep process. Trying too hard to control it will make you more tense and more awake.
14. Change your daytime routine the next day if you didn’t sleep well. Even if you have a bad night sleep and are tired it is important that you try to keep your daytime activities the same as you had planned. That is, don’t avoid activities or stay in bed late because you feel tired. This can reinforce the insomnia.
15. Increase caffeine intakes the next day, this can keep you up again the following night.

Adapted from: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/docs/Info-sleep hygiene.pdf http://web.mac.com/jendanielle/Site/MentalHealth_files/Sleep Hygeine WORKSHEET.pdf http://www.tufts.edu/med/phfm/pdf/fm-handouts/SleepHygiene.pdf

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Anyway, I see the more experience a person has, the more they'll often, not always, follow laws when it comes to treating someone. They have more to lose, with large reputations on the line. So I'm a bit overly focused on a person's credentials when it comes to such a thing these days.

Here is my reasoning. There are nurses out there, not equipped, who will basically give you pills you don't need just for existing. Some of these nurses are bigger than I am and quite rough. Better to take the pills, because I have seen how they are with a needle.

Sometimes there are enough problems, that I just talk to a lawyer. As soon as people know I have a lawyer, their whole attitude changes. They'll back down quite often before anything even touches the courtroom.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
"Mentalism or sanism describes discrimination and oppression against a mental trait or condition a person has, or is judged to have. This discrimination may or may not be characterized in terms of mental disorder or cognitive impairment. The discrimination is based on numerous factors such as stereotypes about neurodivergence, for example [Aspergers], learning disorders, ADHD, bipolar, schizophrenia, and personality disorders, specific behavioral phenomena such as stuttering and tics, or intellectual disability."

Mentalism (discrimination) - Wikipedia

Over the past month I have developed a very profound sleep disorder. It started about 4 weeks ago and is easiest described as insomnia. A very very bad case of insomnia.

Here in America, the health care system is very difficult to maneuver if you have sleep trouble. And for somone with my symptoms, ( 2 hours of sleep per night consistently for 4 weeks ) the only way to get help is to go a Hospital Emergency room. And that's what I have been doing.

What I have witnessed and experienced myself appears to be systemic discrimination and hatred of Mentally Ill people by the staff at this specific ER.

I feel obligated to something about it. Not because of how I was treated. But how the other people were treated who were really really sick ( mentally ).

While I was waiting in the lobby, I witnessed what can only be described as cruel inhumane treatment of an old lady who was cold, confused, and terrified. She was being abused by 4-5 staff members.

The biggest problem that I noticed is, the abuse was coordinated, and looked to be the hospitals standard approach to patient care. Yes. Abusing the patient appeared to be the standard of care.

For those of you who know me, you know that I am a caring warm person, who is eager to extend a helping hand to anyone in need regardless of whether or not they appear "crazy". And because of this, it should not be a surprise that I intervened to help the woman who was being abused. I made a few phone calls and helped her find a shelter so she wouldn't be outdoors again for another night.

Note: The woman was being disruptive. But all she was really doing was begging for help. Crying and telling the staff she was afraid. That's all. But the staff was not talking to her or treating her like a human being. I cannot describe how painful this was to witness. Especially considering how the lady's entire demeanor changed as soon as a kind person ( me ) looked her in the eyes and offered to help.

It is heartbreaking. All she needed was a small bit of help understanding the shelter options. The hospital staff had given her a list of shelters on paper. But they wouldn't help her read it or understand what was on the paper. They didn't want to help her at all. But it went beyond reticence. They despised her. It was contempt. It reminded of something I would have seen in a history book as part of the 1960s civil rights movement. It was the same hatred only without the dogs and the firehoses. The staff seemed to actually hate this homeless woman.

My experience at the ER, was actually quite similar to what I witnessed in the lobby. Because my symptoms are so profound ( rapid onset extreme insomnia ) just like the homeless lady, I was being processed by the hospital staff as needing psychiatric help. And my experience matched what I witnessed in the lobby. Contempt bordering on hate. A complete lack of empathy. Inhumane treatment. I wasn't able to ask questions of the Dr. I wasn't able to even ask about the medication they were prescribing. Asking about alternative medication choices was not allowed either. I was not treated like a human being. It was surreal.

Eventually, I spoke with a social worker and he said.. this is a quote, "I have to get out of here. This place is insane. None of the Drs will talk to you. They won't discuss the medication with you anymore. They won't discuss the diagnosis. They are not willing to talk to you anymore at all."

At this point I appealed to the social workers logic. The social worker spoke with the Dr. and eventually the Dr. returned so I could ask questions about the perscribed medication and ask about the other medication options for insomnia. But the Dr. repeatedly became combative, and verbally abusive. At least I had the clarity of mind to insist that the social worker remain in the room with me, because otherwise there would have been no witnesses.

At this point I am still trying to to wrap my brain around what is going on at this ER. The thing is, I have multiple friends who work at this hospital. All Drs. One of them happens to be an ER doctor.

I made a phonecall already to someone inside the Hospital in the social work Dept in order to make contact with the social worker who witnessed what happened to me. I was told he was transferred to another hospital. This was 1 hour after the incident occurred.

Question: what should I do? I really don't know what to make of any of this. It looks like textbook discrimination and abuse of people deemed to be Mentally Ill. And after being in the ER twice in the past week seeking treatment for insomnia, I can say, during both visits, I witnessed behavior by the staff which I can only describe as systemic hatred of Mentally Ill people, especially homeless people. But I have to be honest, I think they hated me too. And all I have is insomnia.

Use your camera and put it on Youtube.

The ER gets all kinds, I suspect they get a bit jaded and start to see issues and problems walk through the door instead of people. Don't think our insurance system helps much either. I imagine a lot of services the hospitals have trouble collecting on.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Question: what should I do? I really don't know what to make of any of this.

ERs love physical problems they can treat quickly. When I had a mild stroke, they were super attentive. When my wife was passing a stone and was in deep pain, she was ignored for hours.

If only I were joking... I actually do sleep ( if u want to call it that ) in a server room. I moved there so my wife could get some sleep.

I have to ask what's going on that she can't sleep. If it's snoring, then see the question below.

Have you been tested for sleep apnea?

I don't recall seeing your answer to this question.

I developed minor sleep problems a few years ago. What I found helped was a warm shower before bed. It relaxed me no end. I also had a short-term dose of sleeping pills. They actually helped reset my sleep. You did not mention any prescription sleep aid so I wonder about that as well.