• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discrimination Against The Mentally Ill

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
"Mentalism or sanism describes discrimination and oppression against a mental trait or condition a person has, or is judged to have. This discrimination may or may not be characterized in terms of mental disorder or cognitive impairment. The discrimination is based on numerous factors such as stereotypes about neurodivergence, for example [Aspergers], learning disorders, ADHD, bipolar, schizophrenia, and personality disorders, specific behavioral phenomena such as stuttering and tics, or intellectual disability."

Mentalism (discrimination) - Wikipedia

Over the past month I have developed a very profound sleep disorder. It started about 4 weeks ago and is easiest described as insomnia. A very very bad case of insomnia.

Here in America, the health care system is very difficult to maneuver if you have sleep trouble. And for somone with my symptoms, ( 2 hours of sleep per night consistently for 4 weeks ) the only way to get help is to go a Hospital Emergency room. And that's what I have been doing.

What I have witnessed and experienced myself appears to be systemic discrimination and hatred of Mentally Ill people by the staff at this specific ER.

I feel obligated to something about it. Not because of how I was treated. But how the other people were treated who were really really sick ( mentally ).

While I was waiting in the lobby, I witnessed what can only be described as cruel inhumane treatment of an old lady who was cold, confused, and terrified. She was being abused by 4-5 staff members.

The biggest problem that I noticed is, the abuse was coordinated, and looked to be the hospitals standard approach to patient care. Yes. Abusing the patient appeared to be the standard of care.

For those of you who know me, you know that I am a caring warm person, who is eager to extend a helping hand to anyone in need regardless of whether or not they appear "crazy". And because of this, it should not be a surprise that I intervened to help the woman who was being abused. I made a few phone calls and helped her find a shelter so she wouldn't be outdoors again for another night.

Note: The woman was being disruptive. But all she was really doing was begging for help. Crying and telling the staff she was afraid. That's all. But the staff was not talking to her or treating her like a human being. I cannot describe how painful this was to witness. Especially considering how the lady's entire demeanor changed as soon as a kind person ( me ) looked her in the eyes and offered to help.

It is heartbreaking. All she needed was a small bit of help understanding the shelter options. The hospital staff had given her a list of shelters on paper. But they wouldn't help her read it or understand what was on the paper. They didn't want to help her at all. But it went beyond reticence. They despised her. It was contempt. It reminded of something I would have seen in a history book as part of the 1960s civil rights movement. It was the same hatred only without the dogs and the firehoses. The staff seemed to actually hate this homeless woman.

My experience at the ER, was actually quite similar to what I witnessed in the lobby. Because my symptoms are so profound ( rapid onset extreme insomnia ) just like the homeless lady, I was being processed by the hospital staff as needing psychiatric help. And my experience matched what I witnessed in the lobby. Contempt bordering on hate. A complete lack of empathy. Inhumane treatment. I wasn't able to ask questions of the Dr. I wasn't able to even ask about the medication they were prescribing. Asking about alternative medication choices was not allowed either. I was not treated like a human being. It was surreal.

Eventually, I spoke with a social worker and he said.. this is a quote, "I have to get out of here. This place is insane. None of the Drs will talk to you. They won't discuss the medication with you anymore. They won't discuss the diagnosis. They are not willing to talk to you anymore at all."

At this point I appealed to the social workers logic. The social worker spoke with the Dr. and eventually the Dr. returned so I could ask questions about the perscribed medication and ask about the other medication options for insomnia. But the Dr. repeatedly became combative, and verbally abusive. At least I had the clarity of mind to insist that the social worker remain in the room with me, because otherwise there would have been no witnesses.

At this point I am still trying to to wrap my brain around what is going on at this ER. The thing is, I have multiple friends who work at this hospital. All Drs. One of them happens to be an ER doctor.

I made a phonecall already to someone inside the Hospital in the social work Dept in order to make contact with the social worker who witnessed what happened to me. I was told he was transferred to another hospital. This was 1 hour after the incident occurred.

Question: what should I do? I really don't know what to make of any of this. It looks like textbook discrimination and abuse of people deemed to be Mentally Ill. And after being in the ER twice in the past week seeking treatment for insomnia, I can say, during both visits, I witnessed behavior by the staff which I can only describe as systemic hatred of Mentally Ill people, especially homeless people. But I have to be honest, I think they hated me too. And all I have is insomnia.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I was once turned down for a job over such specific health issues. I think it's against the law, but I didn't feel like legally pursuing it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What a tough position for everyone involved. As a stranger to a scene, there is no diagnosis to go on, and you have little training. As the patient, it's pure hell.

In regards to insomnia, I have it as well, but nowhere near as bad as you now as it's been 20-30 years of trial and error management, and it's settled into 1 day in 10 being out of action, 8 days in 10 being tired but functional, and 1 day in 10 feeling awesome. I pretty well gave up on the medical system, but am still on 2 medications, both in low dosage. Just enough to take the edge off, so sleep is more likely.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What a tough position for everyone involved. As a stranger to a scene, there is no diagnosis to go on, and you have little training. As the patient, it's pure hell.

In regards to insomnia, I have it as well, but nowhere near as bad as you now as it's been 20-30 years of trial and error management, and it's settled into 1 day in 10 being out of action, 8 days in 10 being tired but functional, and 1 day in 10 feeling awesome. I pretty well gave up on the medical system, but am still on 2 medications, both in low dosage. Just enough to take the edge off, so sleep is more likely.
If u can believe this, the fact that I am functional on 2 hours of sleep is perceived by the Western Psychiatric Community as a symptom. It is a very difficult position to be in. Because I seem healthy, I am judged to require forced medical intervention ( aka being committed to a mental institution against my will ). My poor wife. I'm not going to describe the fear tactics, psychological warfare they were employing against her to persuade her to have me committed.

It's a nightmare. And I have no recourse. No where to go. I can't go the ER anymore. And I can't get into my normal Dr. ( PCP ) because I'm not sick enough to warrant adjusting their schedule to see me soon.

Do you see what I mean? It's surreal. A lot of the problems I'm having getting help is because I'm too functional. My regular Dr. Won't see me for another 6 weeks because I'm too functional. And the Psychiatric Community wants me committed because I'm too functional.

All that I can do is wait it out. But truth be told, I know the science of sleep. I only have about one more week before I will be full on psychotic. And then I'll get some help of course.

But the root cause, insomnia, will remain untreated.... Surreal.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud

Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but have you tried melatonin ? It’s the natural sleep hormone. It works a treat. Easy to go to sleep, and to go back to sleep if you wake. It is also anti inflammatory and neuroprotective.

I have an arsenal of natural sleep aids now, I won’t list them all here, but can message you if you want. I used to be a chronic insomniac.

After years of using temazepam every night, I learned a pranayama method that works like magic...breathe in with light bandha for four counts, interlude, out with light bandha for eight counts, interlude. While doing that, move your awareness to your stomach and hands (takes you out of your brain and eyeballs). This will put you to sleep in a few minutes.

Last edited:

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Pardon me if this is a dumb question, but have you tried melatonin ? It’s the natural sleep hormone. It works a treat. Easy to go to sleep, and to go back to sleep if you wake. It is also anti inflammatory and neuroprotective.

I have an arsenal of natural sleep aids now, I won’t list them all here, but can message you if you want. I used to be a chronic insomniac.

After years of using temazepam every night, I learned a pranayama method that works like magic...breathe in for four counts, interlude, out with light bandha for eight counts, interlude. While doing that, move your awareness to your stomach and hands (takes you out of your brain and eyeballs). This will put you to sleep in a few minutes.
I see learning real eastern Yoga ( and practicing it ) as a vast opportunity to address my sleep problems as well as a whole host of other problems I have. But it's very hard for me to make progress on that until I get some real sleep...

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I see learning real eastern Yoga ( and practicing it ) as a vast opportunity to address my sleep problems as well as a whole host of other problems I have. But it's very hard for me to make progress on that until I get some real sleep...

Try the pranayama I suggested to Vinayaka. It is profoundly effective. Just get some instruction from any yoga practicioner on what bandha means. It is basically a slight constriction of the throat that will cause a white noise sound as you inhale and exhale.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Try the pranayama I suggested to Vinayaka. It is profoundly effective. Just get some instruction from any yoga practicioner on what bandha means. It is basically a slight constriction of the throat that will cause a white noise sound as you inhale and exhale.
Can do. Thanks.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Can do. Thanks.

I know how serious insomnia is. It can ruin your life. Lying on your back bug eyed at 3am knowing that you aren’t going to get any sleep is an awful kind of stress. Panic, and irrational anger set in....which guarantees you won’t sleep. I spent decades with that problem.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I have sleep problems, too. Not as bad as yours, but I also had some days that I was walking around on barely any sleep. Eventually I went to the doctor and he told me to cut out naps completely (which is really hard for me, but I'm trying) and to instead exercise at the time I used nap at. Also no exercising up to five hours before going to sleep.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

After years of using temazepam every night, I learned a pranayama method that works like magic...breathe in with light bandha for four counts, interlude, out with light bandha for eight counts, interlude. While doing that, move your awareness to your stomach and hands (takes you out of your brain and eyeballs). This will put you to sleep in a few minutes.

It's been 30 years, and this may sound like a dumb answer, but yes I've tried melatonin. Not recently though. Some things, like chronic elbow pain, you just learn to live with. I'll give the pranayama a try.

Sleep is individualised. What works wonders for some folks does nothing, or at worst, can make things worse for others. That's why I say trial and error on yourself. Doctors don't have the time to do trial and error. In my childhood, I knew a few old guys who took a good shot of whiskey before retiring.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I have sleep problems, too. Not as bad as yours, but I also had some days that I was walking around on barely any sleep. Eventually I went to the doctor and he told me to cut out naps completely (which is really hard for me, but I'm trying) and to instead exercise at the time I used nap at. Also no exercising up to five hours before going to sleep.
Bro, I wish I could take a nap. That would be amazing...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Bro, I wish I could take a nap. That would be amazing...
Well, I can hardly even do that anymore. Even if I try, disregarding doctor's orders - there's a good chance that I'll end up lying in bed doing nothing for a couple of hours...