• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discovered Hinduism... after being pulled on stage.

carmenara

Hello, I am from the Far East. I don't really like disclosing who I am or where I'm from due to the age old problem of stereotyping.

I prefer to be known by a little legacy a small Indian girl created for me a month ago. Pointed my way and christened me a "Desert Dancer" after observing me being pulled on stage by Kalbeliyas - Indian tribal dancers from Rajestan and being quite comfortable in a dance style I have never encountered much less heard of.

A week after my impromptu initation before a crowd of a couple hundred, I went on to perform at a traditional dance competition and did well enough to be regarded as an honorary winner. I had my doubts that 5 days and nights would be enough to pull off a convincing solo performance but I did anyway... and felt the person performing isn't really myself - I had a little bit of help here and there.

And that was my initiation to Indian culture and dance - well, unless you count enjoying mutton biryani and crazy Bollywood dance videos on YouTube, along with some interestingly soothing Hindu mantras involving dangerously powerful goddesses...

Little suggestions from the paranormal that I'm not alone but certainly welcomed to partake in something that harkens back through time and space to something I've never encountered before. I wore traditional dresses of a culture that would become my heart and soul knowing I am a representative of that culture which I actually don't belong... but welcomed into the social circles and homes of ethnic friends and members of performing arts anyway. And then I continued wearing those exotic, slightly shimmering dresses to work until no one dared to question me on it... I had several Indian ladies on my side and responsible for my further learning!

Those little spritual encounters continue - any mantra involving Kali or Durga would have some kind of profound and obvious clue that "something" intimate and powerful is close by. Light breathing and snoring over my shoulder audible from impossible locations - there just can't be anyone under my mattress! My hair being flipped forwards and draped across my chest when there's no wind or movement in an enclosed space... the list goes on.

My life and career had definitely become much better with these alien, powerful mantras in a language I don't understand yet.

I started visiting a Hindu temple joining them for feasts and scripture classes, and will continue to do so. It helps me adopt a much more healthy diet (eating vedic food from prasadam feasts), and the other half of my free time spent learning, performing and perhaps someday, teaching Bollywood dance. A way better lifestyle than the introverted, fearful outlook of my former self, a corporate slave stuck in a world that has forgotten righteousness like some dystopian science fiction title...

But all that's history. I'm here to seek further learning and of course a place to share thoughts, should they be welcome. I am quite the wild thing just like the Goddess I serve...

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello, I am from the Far East. I don't really like disclosing who I am or where I'm from due to the age old problem of stereotyping.

I prefer to be known by a little legacy a small Indian girl created for me a month ago. Pointed my way and christened me a "Desert Dancer" after observing me being pulled on stage by Kalbeliyas - Indian tribal dancers from Rajestan and being quite comfortable in a dance style I have never encountered much less heard of.

A week after my impromptu initation before a crowd of a couple hundred, I went on to perform at a traditional dance competition and did well enough to be regarded as an honorary winner. I had my doubts that 5 days and nights would be enough to pull off a convincing solo performance but I did anyway... and felt the person performing isn't really myself - I had a little bit of help here and there.

And that was my initiation to Indian culture and dance - well, unless you count enjoying mutton biryani and crazy Bollywood dance videos on YouTube, along with some interestingly soothing Hindu mantras involving dangerously powerful goddesses...

Little suggestions from the paranormal that I'm not alone but certainly welcomed to partake in something that harkens back through time and space to something I've never encountered before. I wore traditional dresses of a culture that would become my heart and soul knowing I am a representative of that culture which I actually don't belong... but welcomed into the social circles and homes of ethnic friends and members of performing arts anyway. And then I continued wearing those exotic, slightly shimmering dresses to work until no one dared to question me on it... I had several Indian ladies on my side and responsible for my further learning!

Those little spritual encounters continue - any mantra involving Kali or Durga would have some kind of profound and obvious clue that "something" intimate and powerful is close by. Light breathing and snoring over my shoulder audible from impossible locations - there just can't be anyone under my mattress! My hair being flipped forwards and draped across my chest when there's no wind or movement in an enclosed space... the list goes on.

My life and career had definitely become much better with these alien, powerful mantras in a language I don't understand yet.

I started visiting a Hindu temple joining them for feasts and scripture classes, and will continue to do so. It helps me adopt a much more healthy diet (eating vedic food from prasadam feasts), and the other half of my free time spent learning, performing and perhaps someday, teaching Bollywood dance. A way better lifestyle than the introverted, fearful outlook of my former self, a corporate slave stuck in a world that has forgotten righteousness like some dystopian science fiction title...

But all that's history. I'm here to seek further learning and of course a place to share thoughts, should they be welcome. I am quite the wild thing just like the Goddess I serve...
Welcome. :praying: :)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Greetings, salutations, and welcome. I hope you enjoy the forums.

atanu

Premium Member

Welcome.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A way better lifestyle than the introverted, fearful outlook of my former self, a corporate slave stuck in a world that has forgotten righteousness like some dystopian science fiction title...

Welcome to RF "wild thing"! I never had the experience you noted here, but I remember thinking "I'm home" when I first stepped off the plane and smelled India many decades ago.

You write so evocatively that I could see the scenes you describe. I see you dancing utterly free moved by the currents of life dancing your unity with the divine.

carmenara

Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

I was texted early this morning with a reminder to attend prasadam this evening.
I had the honor of replying I got a different message yesterday with the same note.

I went to Little India to get my first diety statue...
I got a few strange queries from the staff wondering what was I doing there but I believe the sight of a wild-haired person pacing back and forth admiring a Durga statue would be quite plain in meaning, yes!? Hehe. I picked one that seemed to resonate with energy upon making eye contact.

As soon as I paid for the statue it suddenly started raining very heavily and that got the attention of people. I made my escape dashing across the open street into the shopping mall opposite, biding my time poking at exotic looking pillows, when I wanted to leave a pure white bird flew down the corridor and landed near my feet.

I was like "oh my this is some kind of message" :)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thanks for the warm welcomes :)

I was texted early this morning with a reminder to attend prasadam this evening.
I had the honor of replying I got a different message yesterday with the same note.

I went to Little India to get my first diety statue...
I got a few strange queries from the staff wondering what was I doing there but I believe the sight of a wild-haired person pacing back and forth admiring a Durga statue would be quite plain in meaning, yes!? Hehe. I picked one that seemed to resonate with energy upon making eye contact.

As soon as I paid for the statue it suddenly started raining very heavily and that got the attention of people. I made my escape dashing across the open street into the shopping mall opposite, biding my time poking at exotic looking pillows, when I wanted to leave a pure white bird flew down the corridor and landed near my feet.

I was like "oh my this is some kind of message" :)

This resonates. My introduction to Hinduism was through eye contact with a deity on a shelf. He beckoned. There is lots of significance to interpreting animal signs, so yes, I would also see that as a sign.

A belated welcome to this forum, and to Hinduism. Jai Ganesha, and may your sojourn be rewarding.