• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discover Islam ...

Cordoba

The Prophet's Biography

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Makkah Period Compiled[/FONT]

Makkah Period lasted 13 years of the Prophet's life. During that time, the Prophet suffered from all kinds of persecution and the Prophet's companions were subjected to torture and killing ...

A Prophet Prepares For Revelation (Part 1)

How did Muhammad go from being a successful trader in Makkah to a prophet and recipient of a divine message? Why did he prefer to seclude himself for days of contemplation over the enjoying the boisterous society of Makkans?

Gabriel & Muhammad (Part 2)

Some people think of the first encounter between Prophet Muhammad and Angel Gabriel in the Cave of Hira as the missing piece in the story of the revelation. Read the Prophet's own account of what really happened...

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1237706019810&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Injustice: Darkness on the Day of Judgment [/FONT]

Wisdom dictates that everything must be put in its proper place and justice dictates that both scales of the balance must be equal. However, injustice is the antithesis of each of wisdom and justice, and the life of this world is not free from oppressors and the oppressed.

Despite this, Almighty Allah loves wisdom and justice and consequently, He aids those who are oppressed. At the same time, He hates injustice and oppression, as He says in the Qur’an,
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
(Your Lord is not in the least unjust to the servants.) (Fussilat 41:46)

Also, in another verse Almighty Allah says,
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
(Surely Allah does not do any injustice to men, but men are unjust to themselves.) (Yunus 10:44)

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]There are many forms of injustice. Some of them are as follows:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica]Injustice to One's Self[/FONT]
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
One form of injustice is to do wrong to one’s own soul by committing sins and disobeying Almighty Allah.....
[SIZE=+0][/SIZE]
Injustice: Darkness on the Day of Judgment - IslamOnline.net - Living Sharia'h

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Sinned Repeatedly, Can I Be Forgiven? [/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]God is the Truth and He says nothing but the truth. He promises what is true and He keeps His promise.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]God has promised those who "sincerely" and "truly" repent with an honest heart to be forgiven.[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]The Quran says what means:[/FONT]​

[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]*{Say: "O my Servants who have transgressed against their souls! Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives all sins: for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.}* (Az-Zumar 39:59)[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif]So, the key point here is your repentance, not God's forgiveness. He is Forgiving for sure. He promised forgiveness and He keeps His promise.[/FONT]

What you need to ask yourself is: "Did I really repent?" If the answer to this question is "yes", then you know the answer to your original question.

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1239888299203&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam%2FAskAboutIslamE%2FAskAboutIslamE

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Nature, Too, Praises Allah [/FONT]

Allah's light is guidance planted in people's hearts, giving them an informed insight and a bond between human nature and the laws that operate in the universe at large. It is the only true enlightenment. People who are cut off from this light remain in darkness that cannot be removed, in fear with no security, in error without return. At the end, they find all their actions to be a mirage leading them to ruin. No action is valid unless based on faith, no guidance without faith, and no light unless Allah's.

This is the scene of unbelief, error, and darkness in human life. The scene of faith, guidance, and light in the great universe follows it. It is a scene showing the entire universe with all that live in it, human and Jinn, planets and stars, and all beings, whether animate or inanimate, sharing in Allah's glorification. We feel how awesome the scene is as we hear the glorification echoed everywhere in the heavens and the earth

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1184649766485&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The pleasures of seeking knowledge[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The rise of Muslims to the zenith of civilization in a period of four decades was based on lslam's emphasis on learning. This is obvious when one takes a look at the Qur'an and the traditions of Prophet Muhammad which are filled with references to learning, education, observation, and the use of reason. ...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The pursuit of knowledge and the use of reason, based on sense and observation is made obligatory on all believers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The following traditions of the Prophet
saws2[21x18].JPG
supplement the foregoing teachings of the Qur'an in the following way:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"Seek knowledge "even though it be in China." [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"The acquisition of knowledge is compulsory for every Muslim, whether male or female." [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave." [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"God has revealed to me, 'Whoever walks in the pursuit of knowledge I facilitate for him the way to heaven.' [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"The best form of worship is the pursuit of knowledge." [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"Scholars should endeavor to spread knowledge and provide education to people who have been deprived of it. For, where knowledge is hidden it disappears." [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"Contemplating deeply for one hour (with sincerity) is better than 70 years of (mechanical) worship." [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]"To listen to the words of the learned and to instill unto others the lessons of science is better than religious exercises." [/FONT]
http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0601-2883

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Principles of Success [/FONT]

By studying the life of the Prophet we can identify some of the principles of success.

The First Principle:

Take the easier path. This principle is well explained in a saying of A'ishah. She said:

Whenever the Prophet had to choose between two options, he always opted for the easier choice. (Bukhari)

To choose the easiest option means that you should evaluate your options and choose the most feasible. One who begins from this starting point will surely reach his goal.

The Second Principle:

See advantage in disadvantage. In the early days of Makkah, there were many problems and difficulties. At that time, a guiding verse in the Quran was revealed. It said:

With every hardship there is ease, with every hardship there is ease. (94:5-6).

This means that if there are some problems, there are also opportunities at the same time. The way to success is to overcome the problems and avail the opportunities.

The Third Principle:

Change the place of action. This principle is derived from the Hijrah. The Hijrah was not just a migration from Makkah to Madinah, it was a journey to find a more suitable place to put Islam into action.

Physical migration and perseverance is an important element in establishing Justice and Peace. This also planted the roots of intellectual migration from the subjugated minds to an awakened spirit.

The Fourth Principle:

Make a friend out of an enemy.The Prophet of Islam was repeatedly subjected to practices of antagonism by the unbelievers. At that time, the Qur'an enjoined upon him the return of good for evil. ....
The Fifth Principle:

Education is central to success. After the battle of Badr, about 70 of the unbelievers were taken as prisoners of war. They were educated people. The Prophet announced that if any one of them would teach ten Muslim children how to read and write he would be freed. This was the first school in the history of Islam in which all of the students were Muslims, and all of the teachers were from the enemy rank.

The Sixth Principle:

Don't be a dichotomous thinker. In the famous battle of Mutah, Khalid Ibn Walid decided to withdraw Muslim forces from the battlefield because he discovered that they were disproportionately outnumbered by the enemy. When they reached Madinah, some of the Muslims received them by the word 'O deserters!' The Prophet said: 'No, they are men of advancement'.

Those Madinan people were thinking dichotomously, either fighting or retreating. The Prophet said that there is also a third option, and that is to avoid war and find time to strengthen yourself. Now history tells us that the Muslims, after three years of preparation, advanced again towards the Roman border and this time they won a resounding victory.

The Seventh Principle:

Do not engage in unnecessary confrontation. This principle is derived from the treaty of Hudaybiyyah. At that time, the unbelievers were determined to engage Muslims in fighting, because they were in an advantageous position. But the Prophet , by accepting their conditions unilaterally, entered into a pact. It was a ten-year peace treaty. Until then, the meeting ground between Muslims and non-Muslims had been on the battlefield. Now the area of conflict became that of ideological debate. Within two years, Islam emerged as victorious because of the simple reason of its ideological superiority.

The Eighth Principle:

Gradualism instead of radicalism. This principle is well-established by a Hadith quoted in Bukhari. A'ishah says that the first verses of the Qur'an were related mostly to Heaven and Hell. After some time when faith had taken hold in peoples hearts, God revealed specific commands to desist from unjust and self-deprecating social practices that were prevalent in the Arabian dark ages. This is a clear proof that for social changes, Islam advocates the evolutionary method, rather than the revolutionary method.

The Ninth Principle:

Be pragmatic in controversial matters. During the writing of the Hudaybiyyah treaty, the Prophet dictated these words: 'This is from Muhammad, the Messenger of God.' The Qurayshan delegate raised objections over these words. The Prophet promptly ordered the words to be changed to 'Muhammad, son of Abdullah'. This simple change placated the Qurayshan delegate.

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0408-2424

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]From Knowledge Comes Gratitude
[/FONT]
Q: I personally would like to know the best way to thank God in Islam for everything He provided for us, and to show Him how grateful I am.

A: Islam in essence is a knowledge-based religion that guides us to behave properly with our beloved Maker, fellow humans (Muslim and non-Muslim), and the universe. ....

Imam Al-Ghazali also superbly illuminates for us that the highest level of gratitude is truly not rejoicing in blessings per se, but rather constantly rejoicing in the very One bestowing them

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1173695368708&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam%2FAskAboutIslamE%2FAskAboutIslamE

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Let the Secret Out: [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Talking About Islam to Non-Muslim Parents[/FONT]

They have seen you grow into adulthood, and now that you are Muslim, you want to tell them that what they believe is wrong! This is the dilemma faced by so many who have embraced Islam.

They want to talk to their parents about their new religion, and even try to show them that Islam is the right path, but they just don't know how to begin. How do you tell your parents that you have chosen a different religion to the one they chose for you?

Of all the problems faced by new Muslims, this is perhaps the most delicate of all. It is partly because the TV has told your parents that Islam is a religion of fanatics and extremism, that they are less than happy that you have become Muslim.

No parent wants his or her child, however old they are, to fall into the hands of the wrong kind of people. It is partly because they see your choice of Islam as a rejection of them and all that they stand for

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]You Alone We Worship [/FONT]

Muslims recite the opening chapter of the Quran, Al-Fatihah seventeen times every day during their obligatory Prayers. In this article, the writer reflects on one of the verses of this chapter, "You alone we worship", and delves into the deeper meanings of this short verse.

The present tense form the verb "worship" (nabudu) implies that the task is not yet finished, which renders such a misinterpretation impossible. Meaning "we worship," (nabudu) refers to the intention and determination to acknowledge the eternal impotence and poverty of humankind before His Presence.

This can also be paraphrased as follows, "O Lord! I am determined that I will not sacrifice my freedom to anyone but You and I will not fall in humiliation before anyone or anything.

"I turn to You fully intent on servanthood and worship; my eyes are fixed upon You and no other. I am filled with a desire for submission and prayer. Resolute to distance myself from anything other than You, I wish to always stand opposed to all that You do not like or want.

"My intention is my greatest worship; I hope that You will accept my intention as my worship. I plead for Your favor, not in proportion to the number of things that I have done, but to those I have intended to do." ....

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1239888645980&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Prayer Helps Us Chip Away Our Egotism[/FONT]

I came to understand that prayer is really for us. It is selfishness and egotism that hold us back from God and our best selves. We use language to build a protective carapace around ourselves, to ward off attack and to bolster our self-esteem. How rare it is to really apologize; and how frequently the person who does apologize points out that you too are somewhat to blame for what has occurred. ...

Prayer teaches us to use language in a different way: To thank, praise, and beg pardon wholeheartedly, without holding anything back. And as we do that, we chip away at our egotism.

And that, in turn, will make us a force for good to the people around us and make the world a better place-without asking God to perform a miracle

http://www.iviews.com/Articles/articles.asp?ref=WP0807-3614

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Revelation: Proof & Guidance [/FONT]

Anyone who has done translation knows that some kind of interpretation creeps into every translation, and only a person who knows the original language can be a legitimate interpreter of the source book. So, to interpret the Qur’an truthfully, one should have a good knowledge of the Arabic language.

Another point about the Qur’an is that it is not a book of history, a book of science or a book of law - though it has all these in it. It is first and foremost a book of divine guidance. Also, you need to know that the Qur’an does not contain detailed explanations of the situations that prompted the revelations of its verses.

Mostly the verses are guidelines and general principles. Besides, they offer good news for the good people and warnings for the misguided. They contain a number of narrations that serve to give admonitions, exhortations and warnings to mankind in general. In certain cases, the Qur’an also gives specific instructions.

The Qur’an was revealed in the course of the 23 years of the prophetic career of Muhammad (peace be upon him), in accordance with the requirements of the particular contexts that called for divine guidance in certain issues. For this reason, in order to arrive at the correct understanding of many of its verses, we need to know the circumstances in which these verses were revealed ....

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1154235133119&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Can a Non-Muslim Enter the Mosque? [/FONT]

Q: What is the Islamic ruling if non-Muslims enter mosques to do restoration, to deliver speeches, or to learn more about Islam?

A: It is noteworthy that Islam encourages tolerance and peaceful co-existence between Muslims and non-Muslims. If non-Muslims enter a mosque to deliver speeches that may lead to a better understanding, then it is welcomed and religiously recommended. Islam is the religion of constructive dialogue in the fullest sense. ....​

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Say not even "Fie" to Parents [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Parents in the Qur'an [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]A child should respect and appreciate his or her parents every day throughout the year. Allah has asked human beings to recognize their parents after recognition of Allah Himself. Throughout the Quran, we notice that parents are mentioned with appreciation and with respect, even if they are senile. ...[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Mothers[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Although Islam has clear directives to honor and respect both parents, mothers are given particular gratitude and respect. This attitude of Islam is understood if we realize the hardships and the suffering that mothers experience in their lives. ....[/FONT]

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0305-1965

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Best Biographies of the Prophet Muhammad [/FONT]

Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources by the late Dr. Martin Lings

This is arguably one of the very best and most approachable biographies written on the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). This book reads more like a novel; it’s fast moving and always interesting. At the same time, Dr. Lings attempted to make an accurate telling based on the earliest sources. One may also be interested to know that it was during the research for this book that Dr. Lings accepted Islam

http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1171539775146&pagename=Zone-English-Discover_Islam%2FDIELayout

A more recent book which is highly recommended is Dr. Tariq Ramadan's book (In the Footsteps of the Prophet: Lessons from the Life of Muhammad)

http://www.tariqramadan.com/spip.php?article845

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Peace and Justice[/FONT]

The concept of justice is one of the essential pillars in the maintenance of both the natural and social orders. God, be He Exalted, has said, He has established the scale, therefore, do not transgress in the scale [of justice]. Undertake the measuring with justice and do not cheat concerning the scale. [55:7-8] Justice, as many of our scholars point out, is one of the underpinnings of the order that has been established by God.

This reality is also a foundation of a healthy social order. God says in that regard, O, You who believe! Be upright for God, witnesses to justice; and do not let your hatred of a people move you to a position where you are unjust. Be just, that is closer to piety. Be mindful of God! Verily God is well informed concerning all that you do. [Quran 4:135]

This social aspect of justice has been beautifully summarized by Imam al-Qurtubi. He says, discussing the relationship between two words that are usually translated as justice (al-'Adl), and distributive justice (al-Qist), "Justice is the basis of all human relations and a foundation of Islamic rule."

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0602-2924

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Happy Family [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The human being as a social being has the responsibility of being most beneficial and least problematic to society. This responsibility begins in the closest circle of the community, the building block of society - the family. From there it extends to relatives, neighbors, friends and the rest of society. In this social context, let us reflect on some guidelines pertaining to individual responsibility.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Parents[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The first in a series of commandments appearing in Surah al-Israa', God has decreed that you worship none but Him and be good to parents. We are instructed to reflect on the effort that parents exert to bring us into this world and to nurture us and therefore to acknowledge our appreciation we are advised to be thankful to God and your parents. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Of all the bonds of relationships, the mother holds a unique position. When the Prophet was asked who has most right to our respect and companionship he said your mother, then your mother, then your mother then the rest of society. He also advised a young questioner regarding his relationship with his mother by saying paradise lies at the feet of thy mother.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Spouses[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The relationship between two individuals coming together in a loving union of marriage ought to be based on love and compassion. The resulting union must provide sakinah (tranquility). The association of one with the other is described symbolically as garments unto each other; covering, embracing and protecting one another ...[/FONT]

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0905-3858

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Islam Beyond the Five Pillars[/FONT]

Those who enquire about the basics of Islam are usually told about the "Five Pillars" of the religion. These relate to faith and to practice, but at a deeper level it might be said that there are two great pillars which support the whole edifice. These are Peace and Justice. They are clearly connected since there can be no enduring peace without justice.

The very word Islam comes from the same verbal root as salam meaning "peace" and, since the religion is based upon total submission to the will of God, Muslims believe that real peace is out of reach unless it is based upon this submission within the universal order. They believe equally that there can be no real justice except as an aspect of submission to the source of all that is just and well ordered.

http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=IC0608-3066

Cordoba

Makkan and Madinan Revelations of The Qur'an

The growth and development of the Muslim Ummah is marked by two great phases:

- The period in Makkah, before the Hijrah (Prophet's migration 622 CE)
- The period in Madinah, after the Hijrah.

Naturally the revelation from Allah to guide the Muslims also responded, to some extent, to these particular situations.

The Makkan Phase

The Makkan phase of the revelation lasted about 13 years, from the first revelation up to the Hijrah.

This phase is determined by the prime task of the Prophet to call people to Islam. The main themes of this call, based on the Qur’anic revelation are
  • Allah and His unity (tawheed)
  • The coming resurrection and judgment
  • Righteous conduct
The role of the Prophet in this phase is in particular that of an announcer and warner.

The Madinan Phase

The Madinan phase lasted about 10 years, from the Hijrah to the death of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him). While the basic themes of the Makkan phase remain, the factor of the Muslims’ growing together into a community and the formation of the Ummah, now makes its presence clearly felt

Cordoba

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Repent, for Allah Is Merciful [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Whatever kind of person you have become, receive from God and His Messenger the good news: God is Most Merciful and Most Forgiving and as more than willing to receive you back in His mercy. He says in His Book:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif][O those of My servants who have transgressed against your own selves, despair not of God’s mercy. God does forgive all sins, for surely He is the most forgiving most merciful one.] (Az-Zumar: 53)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]The relationship between you and your Creator is not such that once spoiled it has to stay spoiled. At any time we can turn to Him in repentance and make peace with Him. With repentance God washes our slates completely clean as if there were never any spot of sin on them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]If you take one step towards God, he will take two towards you. If you come to Him walking, He will come to you running.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Even though it would not harm God in the least if the whole of mankind abandoned faith and goodness, God is overjoyed when one of His servants, lost in faithlessness and sin, comes back to Him. Imagine a mother who has lost her baby in a crowd and is nervously searching for it. Imagine now her joy when she finds her lost baby. When a servant of God returns to Him after being lost in faithlessness and sin, the joy of God is more than seventy times greater than the joy of such a mother[/FONT]

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1158658514417&pagename=Zone-English-Living_Shariah%2FLSELayout