• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disability quotes

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Kind greetings to all!

Wasn't sure where to post this so move it if you like ...

Here's a couple of quotes you might like 2 ponder -

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles.”

Christopher Reeve

“If I regarded my life from the point of view of the pessimist, I should be undone. I should seek in vain for the light that does not visit my eyes and the music that does not ring in my ears. I should beg night and day and never be satisfied. I should sit apart in awful solitude, a prey to fear and despair. But since I consider it a duty to myself and to others to be happy, I escape a misery worse than any physical deprivation.”

Helen Keller

"If I fail, I try again, and again, and again. If YOU fail, are you going to try again? The human spirit can handle much worse than we realize. It matters HOW you are going to FINISH. Are you going to finish strong?”

Nick Vujicic

More on this page -

Best Disability Quotes

Enjoy your day!

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
'Alternately skilled' not handicapped nor disabled.
Coming from one with a developmental disability...I hate the term alternately skilled...Makes me feel like you are just ignoring my difficulties because they make you uncomfortable so you use the term to make me feel more human... it's like me being disabled makes you uncomfortable so you have to use a different word so I should be ashamed of my disability...That being disabled is somehow wrong...(That might not be the case..i know the term is well intended so I'm just letting you know my thoughts on it.Some disabled people might be ok with it but I'm not)...Call me disabled. I prefer the term...

EDIT:Thought I would go more in depth.

Last edited:

VoidCat

'Alternately skilled' not handicapped nor disabled.

Coming from one with a developmental disability...I hate the term alternately skilled...Makes me feel like you are just trying to ignore my difficulties because they make you uncomfortable so you use the term to make me feel normal...I feel that it's because me being disabled makes you uncomfortable so you have to use a different word so I should be ashamed of my disability...(That might not be the case but thats what I think when I read the term.Call me disabled. I prefer the term...

Here's something that goes into more depth with the problem with terms such as alternately skilled or differently abled..Written by a disabled person and I agree with them on this:
Autistic Hoya: How "Differently Abled" Marginalizes Disabled People

EDIT:wanted to add something. I don't like person-first language for the same reason

Last edited:

VoidCat

@shunyadragon One more thing...the disabled community is split on the topic...Just read the comments of the link I posted...In my opinion you should use what ever terms a person is comfortable...This is why in my first post I wrote some are ok with the term but I am not...Just thought I would add that

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Here's something that goes into more depth with the problem with terms such as alternately skilled or differently abled..Written by a disabled person and I agree with them on this:
Autistic Hoya: How "Differently Abled" Marginalizes Disabled People

EDIT:wanted to add something. I don't like person-first language for the same reason
I like the picture of the girl with the sign in the article. Thanks for the information. PC is tough for a lot of us. I know I need all the help I can get. The anonymity of an internet forum is great for that. You can't label what you can't see.

VoidCat

I like the picture of the girl with the sign in the article. Thanks for the information. PC is tough for a lot of us. I know I need all the help I can get. The anonymity of an internet forum is great for that. You can't label what you can't see.
I actually don't like it when people try too hard to be politically correct...It annoys me.You are welcome.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I actually don't like it when people try too hard to be politically correct...It annoys me.You are welcome.

I don't try much now, but back when I taught I was faced with this a lot. Many kids had disability labels, and we teachers used them. Some parents were okay, others were adamantly opposed. One of the key factors was that funding for it went with the label. So far too regularly the parent with opposition to it wouldn't agree to psychological testing, and then we didn't get the funding needed to hire an aid for their child. So the child lost out. It was frustrating for me.

VoidCat

I don't try much now, but back when I taught I was faced with this a lot. Many kids had disability labels, and we teachers used them. Some parents were okay, others were adamantly opposed. One of the key factors was that funding for it went with the label. So far too regularly the parent with opposition to it wouldn't agree to psychological testing, and then we didn't get the funding needed to hire an aid for their child. So the child lost out. It was frustrating for me.
Sound highly annoying.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Coming from one with a developmental disability...I hate the term alternately skilled...Makes me feel like you are just ignoring my difficulties because they make you uncomfortable so you use the term to make me feel more human... it's like me being disabled makes you uncomfortable so you have to use a different word so I should be ashamed of my disability...That being disabled is somehow wrong...(That might not be the case..i know the term is well intended so I'm just letting you know my thoughts on it.Some disabled people might be ok with it but I'm not)...Call me disabled. I prefer the term...

"Disabled" always struck me as such a broad term that it should only apply
to someone unable to work. So for example, someone in a wheelchair...I'd
prefer to say they "they use a wheelchair". That says what's going on, no
more & no less.

Btw, have you ever seen the movie gag where some guy is in a wheelchair
with the injured leg sticking straight out, & the elevator doors close on it?
Been there & done that. It was funny.

VoidCat

"Disabled" always struck me as such a broad term that it should only apply
to someone unable to work. So for example, someone in a wheelchair...I'd
prefer to say they "they use a wheelchair". That says what's going on, no
more & no less.

Btw, have you ever seen the movie gag where some guy is in a wheelchair
with the injured leg sticking straight out, & the elevator doors close on it?
Been there & done that. It was funny.
I appreciate hearing your opinion on this. No haven't seen it.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Thanks for all the responses!

I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia over 35 years ago.

It qualifies as a major psychiatric disability but I'm cool with whatever label people want to use. If they feel like calling me crazy I would most likely laugh and say you're spot on - just take a look at what all the so-called "sane" people have done with the planet ...

All the best!

:)