• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disabilities and stereotypes

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Just have this on my mind. Many people in the US with life long disabilities may find it hard to work. It's not so much the disability itself but how our government handles our finances. The idea is they don't want us to have full time work and SSI too. It defeats the purpose of paying social security just to give it back. SSI is a need base program and it's terribly hard to get on (I was fortunate due to brain surgery) and unpractical to get off (medical depending).

It's a stereotype to assume many of us on disability don't want to work. Many do. Many dont. It's a stereotype.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/l...benefits-the-desire-to-work-will-never-cease?

I don't have a wp account but went by name title. There are many stories of disabled who want to work but can't.

There is a program called ticket to work. If you want to work part or full time and keep benefits, you can go through the program. The point is to get you Off of SSI not have both. After fuve years working I think every two years you earn points. When the government sees you work, they may no longer see you disabled. They switch you to SS where "ideally" they say you can make as much as you want.

I work less than part time and go to school. So a lot of us don't sit around doing nothing. We pay rent. Some have kids. Some are dis- but treated as if financial help can only be give to those who "look" the part.

And so forth.

There are many people who abuse social security and many who dont. There are thousands of homeless yet people judge what they will give because of a selected few. It's a stereotype.

It hurts. Just be mindful, of course not everyone is perfect but we all live in the same world. We do the best we can. Sometimes we have no choice to depend on people for externals but internally, we get stronger minded.

Stereotypes are the roots of all evils. Be mindful of the generalizations. They hurt.

I'm done.