• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dis/ Respectful?

Is it respectful for a non-Christian to take the Eucharist?

• Total voters

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, as most of you are well aware, I'm not remotely Christian.

You might not know that I hold Christ in the highest reverence, in my own bizarre way. As such, I like to take the Eucharist from time to time, simply because, whatever one's view of transubstantiation, etc., that's how He asked to be commemorated.

So, my question to you all... do you consider this good or bad, and why?

Poll to follow, but kindly answer in thread as well, and for bonus points, include your denomination for comparison. :)

:candle:

Me Myself

Back to my username
I put "not sure" .

I am not a catholic, but I do believe in transubstantiation.

In a sense, I would say there is nothing wrong with it if you made the ritual yourself.

What would be kind of icky to me personaly is if you take the eucharisty in a mass or something similar.

This things (at least for me) go to much with feelings rather than words or argumentations, so it would be hard for me to pin point the hows and whys of the difference. But if you trust in Jesus wanting this to be done in his name, you can do it yourself. Should be nothing wrong with that.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I put "not sure" .

I am not a catholic, but I do believe in transubstantiation.

In a sense, I would say there is nothing wrong with it if you made the ritual yourself.

What would be kind of icky to me personaly is if you take the eucharisty in a mass or something similar.
Well, Catholics in particular have a ban on non-Catholics taking Communion, so I don't go to them.

This things (at least for me) go to much with feelings rather than words or argumentations, so it would be hard for me to pin point the hows and whys of the difference. But if you trust in Jesus wanting this to be done in his name, you can do it yourself. Should be nothing wrong with that.
Not the same.... Ritual, for me, is a deeply communal thing. I don't want to just eat a cracker and have a sip of wine. I want the sermon, the story, the psychodrama.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
It would be disrespectful and inappropriate in a Catholic church to take the Eucharist unless you're a Catholic and have been to confession recently. That means that some Catholics can't even take it much less "separated brethern" like me. Understand that they view the wafers as literally being the body of Christ. In my church, which is Evangelical, people would be more than welcome to share in the Eucharist regardless of who you are. It's just a symbol to us

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
That's kind of hard. The truth is, I don't know the hearts of anyone taking the "Lord's Supper" (what we Baptists call it). I don't question anyone who partakes in it and I don't judge them or condemn them. So I guess I really don't see any trouble with it, since you said you hold Jesus in the highest reverence.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It would be disrespectful and inappropriate in a Catholic church to take the Eucharist unless you're a Catholic and have been to confession recently. That means that some Catholics can't even take it much less "separated brethern" like me. Understand that they view the wafers as literally being the body of Christ. In my church, which is Evangelical, people would be more than welcome to share in the Eucharist regardless of who you are. It's just a symbol to us
Yes, I know. I don't go to them for precisely that reason.

uu_sage

All people no matter who they are or where they find themselves on the journey of faith are welcomed at Christ's table. The table is neither Protestant nor Catholic but it is the Lord's table and all are welcome to partake. Communion I believe is the celebration of God's unconditional love and grace for all humankind. There are no strangers in God's family. It is in no way disrespectful.