• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dirty weekend in Bali?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Better get it done in the next few years then. :D

Indonesia passes legislation banning sex outside marriage

Indonesia’s parliament has approved legislation that outlaws sex outside marriage while making other sweeping changes to the criminal code – a move critics deemed a setback to freedoms in the world’s third-largest democracy. The code, which will apply to Indonesians and visiting foreigners alike, will also prohibit cohabitation between unmarried couples. The changes also provides punishments for insulting the president.

This will no doubt be popular. :oops:

The code will not apply immediately but takes a maximum of three years to transition from the old code to the new one. The approval comes even as business groups warned it could harm Indonesia’s image as a tourism and investment destination.

But perhaps they are not bothered as to such.

Sex outside marriage will be punishable by a year in jail and cohabitation by six months, but charges must be based on police reports lodged by a spouse, parents or children. Taufik Basari, a legislator of the NasDem Party, said if a tourist visiting Bali, for instance, has consensual sex with an Indonesian national, and it was reported to police by the Indonesian’s parent or child, the tourist could be arrested. “I know it will impact tourism, which is why we should explain to the public that reports to police should be limited to what the family feels is really important,” he said. “As a parliamentarian, I will try to find more limitations for the implementation of these articles.”

So, they believe in principles, but only so as for such not to affect their wealth adversely. :oops:

Indonesia - joining that group of spearheading nations - like Afghanistan, Iran, etc. - well done. :rolleyes:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
. The code, which will apply to Indonesians and visiting foreigners alike, will also prohibit cohabitation between unmarried couples. The changes also provides punishments for insulting the president
Killing impacts families hence punishable
"Dirty sex in Bali" impacts families also

I have seen worse Laws to control the people

The code will not apply immediately but takes a maximum of three years to transition from the old code to the new one
Nice and friendly gesture (to give the people 3 years to get used to the new Law)

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Nice and friendly gesture (to give the people 3 years to get used to the new Law)
Similar to my thoughts. I don't think Westerners have any room to criticize as our societies are on the verge of collapse and are nihilistic cesspools. Maybe we need some reining in, too. :rolleyes:

stvdv

So, to be clear...you endorse this law?
It will be a big blow to the horrible sex industry and sex trafficking, loverboys and other misogynistic criminal activity etc.

More safety for women, much less abuse of women. Bali gets a better name as compared to "dirty weekend in Bali"

So, I totally understand why they do this
Freedom comes with a price
Not free to kill women physically
Not free to "kill" women emotionally

(it's a known fact that emotional hurt usually takes much more time to heal; makes sense to minimize emotional hurt IF your goal is improvement of happiness)

Also very good for Spiritual uplifting of the World

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Similar to my thoughts. I don't think Westerners have any room to criticize as our societies are on the verge of collapse and are nihilistic cesspools. Maybe we need some reining in, too. :rolleyes:

If you mean that there are plenty of things worthy of criticism in Western societies, then I absolutely agree. And I don't see criticism of them as 'off limits', so not sure why I'd see criticism of Indonesia's laws as off limits either.

Whether by intent or by stealth, this law effectively makes all gay sex illegal, and cohabitation by gay partners illegal. Still okay with it?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It will be a big blow to the horrible sex industry and sex trafficking, loverboys and other misogynistic criminal activity etc.

More safety for women, much less abuse of women. Bali gets a better name as compared to "dirty weekend in Bali"

So, I totally understand why they do this
Freedom comes with a price
Not free to kill women physically
Not free to "kill" women emotionally

(it's a known fact that emotional hurt usually takes much more time to heal; makes sense to minimize emotional hurt IF your goal is improvement of happiness)

Also very good for Spiritual uplifting of the World

Freedom?
What you're saying is that removing freedom can be beneficial in removing also some of the problems in society. Sure, that is true in a broad-brush sense.
I don't see cohabitating partners as a 'problem', I don't see gay partners as a problem, and I don't see sex between cohabitating partners as a problem, or between gay partners as a problem. Perhaps you do?

stvdv

Freedom?
What you're saying is that removing freedom can be beneficial in removing also some of the problems in society. Sure, that is true in a broad-brush sense.
I don't see cohabitating partners as a 'problem', I don't see gay partners as a problem, and I don't see sex between cohabitating partners as a problem, or between gay partners as a problem. Perhaps you do?
Read again, this time what I wrote, not what is in your mind

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If you mean that there are plenty of things worthy of criticism in Western societies, then I absolutely agree. And I don't see criticism of them as 'off limits', so not sure why I'd see criticism of Indonesia's laws as off limits either.

Whether by intent or by stealth, this law effectively makes all gay sex illegal, and cohabitation by gay partners illegal. Still okay with it?
Yeah, that's going to too far. I believe in monogamous romantic relationships for all who want a relationship, regardless of orientation. I may be traditional, but not homophobic. I don't really think laws like that are realistic but I can sympathize with the intent of them, to varying degrees.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, that's going to too far. I believe in monogamous romantic relationships for all who want a relationship, regardless of orientation. I may be traditional, but not homophobic. I don't really think laws like that are realistic but I can sympathize with the intent of them, to varying degrees.

Seems fair.
In a lot of ways our positions are similar, then. I think getting laws involved does more harm than good, but in terms of my own actions we align.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
This article from the BBC is worth a read too (and the other), and although the law will presumably apply across Indonesia, Bali might be affected the most, given it has so much tourism and especially from Australia. And the article also mentions the possibility of corruption and bribery being more likely - as it is in some countries within South-East Asia - and the indication that it might not affect tourists smells somewhat. :oops:

Indonesia's new sex laws and what they could mean for tourism

Indonesia’s sex ‘morality’ laws are just one part of a broader, chilling crackdown on dissent

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

Ta for introducing the killing bit - as if such is at all relevant. :oops:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Read again, this time what I wrote, not what is in your mind
I detect sarchasm in a response.
Urban Dictionary: sar-chasm

Indonesia is a strange place.
As a friend from there once said (recalling from
50 years ago in my horrid attempt to spell it)...
Pak prak kamu orang, beejee kupilare!
(They'll crush your balls!)
It's constitution stipulates "the state is based on
the belief in the one supreme God". Yet Hinduism
is one of the official religions. Go figure.

stvdv

I detect sarchasm in a response.
Urban Dictionary: sar-chasm
I "never" think of sarcasm reading replies to which I reply, and "never" reply sarcastic myself (sarcasm is not me at all anymore, I even have to look up the meaning each time (that's how alien sarcasm is to me now) ). 40 years ago I used sarcasm, because I had fear to speak directly. Now I rather say what I mean, so no false interpretation possible

I'm "always" serious in posting and replying. I just highlighted that I don't like people twist my words and then attack my words, actually their words

stvdv

Indonesia is a strange place.
As a friend from there once said (recalling from
50 years ago in my horrid attempt to spell it)...
Pak prak kamu orang, beejee kupilare!
(They'll crush your balls!)
It's constitution stipulates "the state is based on
the belief in the one supreme God". Yet Hinduism
is one of the official religions. Go figure.
My first thought "Indonesia is like 90% Islam and 2% Hindu", but true Bali is not, that's like 90% Hindu.

Islam has one Supreme God as does Hinduism . One God being addressed by many Names

Other Hindus might think differently about this.

Indeed telling that in such a religious place is so much "dirty weekends". Money and greed can affect human belief practice

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I "never" think of sarcasm reading replies to which I reply, and "never" reply sarcastic myself (sarcasm is not me at all anymore, I even have to look up the meaning each time (that's how alien sarcasm is to me now) ). 40 years ago I used sarcasm, because I had fear to speak directly. Now I rather say what I mean, so no false interpretation possible

I'm "always" serious in posting and replying. I just highlighted that I don't like people twist my words and then attack my words, actually their words
Oh, I thought they were just missing your sarcasm, ie, sarchasm.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My first thought "Indonesia is like 90% Islam and 2% Hindu", but true Bali is not, that's like 90% Hindu.

Islam has one Supreme God as does Hinduism . One God being addressed by many Names

Other Hindus might think differently about this.

Indeed telling that in such a religious place is so much "dirty weekends". Money and greed can affect human belief practice
I prefer money & greed to religion.