• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Directional Correspondences

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Atypical of my routine, I decided to use a guided meditation this morning (I typically don't use them, as I find myself distracted by nuances that do not fall in line with my knowledge), and found myself highly distracted to the point that I did not finish the session.

It was a guided meditation for the purpose of connecting with the higher self, and while there were a few suggestions that implied dualism, I pressed onward. What distracted me to the point of stopping the session were the directional correspondences. The narrator switched the two directional correspondences I that are generally used in pagan practice, using south as water (dream, intuition, etc.), and west as fire (passion, transformation, etc.), which threw me for a loop. While I understand that there are those that will switch up directional correspondences for geographical reasons, I find it odd that one would do this with the intention of presentation to a large audience, understanding the generally accepted associations.

So my question is: Is anyone aware of a belief structure or practice where it is standard operating procedure to use south as water and west as fire?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's an interesting question. I can't answer it since I've not heard of that before.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering that arrangement breaks the Elemental rotation just as much as the typical standard used in contemporary Paganism, go for it. The directions are not a natural cycle, so there is less need to preserve the rotation anyway. The further one gets from the essential nature of the Four, the looser any correspondences are. Directional correspondences are particularly loose - symbolism built upon symbolism sometimes built upon yet more symbolism - so use what works for the given purpose, I'd say.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering that arrangement breaks the Elemental rotation just as much as the typical standard used in contemporary Paganism, go for it. The directions are not a natural cycle, so there is less need to preserve the rotation anyway. The further one gets from the essential nature of the Four, the looser any correspondences are. Directional correspondences are particularly loose - symbolism built upon symbolism sometimes built upon yet more symbolism - so use what works for the given purpose, I'd say.

What gave me the greatest pause was that she was using terminology such as standing stones and guardians. She didn't go into words such as sylphs and salamanders and such, though.

I guess I have it so ingrained in my head from years of practice that her correspondences made as much sense to me as if she were to suggest to 'sleep in the kitchen and cook in the bedroom.'