• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DIR Rules Poll, Messianic Judaism DIR

Which option do you prefer for your DIR? (Read Post before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Panda

42?
Premium Member
As you may be aware we are currently changing the way all our DIR forums work and have decided to leave the option up to the individual members of each DIR to choose from. We have came up with two options that we think are suitable:

1. One method is the same as the way DIRs are currently run: non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts. These DIRs will remain blue as is currently the case.
  2. A second new method has been proposed for those DIR forums where, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions, as well as knowledgeable comments. These DIRs will be coloured green
We would like your opinions on the matter so please vote for how you want your DIR to be run. Please ONLY vote in your own DIR.

In the case where there is a limited number of votes, less than 4, then a DIR will remain blue. In the event of a tie or if the votes are extremely close with a large number of votes they will also remain blue. We will only change the DIR rules if there is a clear majority.

NOTE: This poll is public so we know only members of the DIR are voting. This poll will automatically close after 30 days.

Last edited:

Shermana

Heretic
Zardoz, I think going Green would see an increase in interest on the subject on the forum and a greater opprotunity to deal with misconceptions or give confirmation to independent comments that agree with our views.

With that, even if we both agreed, I don't even think we have 4 people to post on the whole forum to begin with. Going Green could make this section noticeable enough that potential Messianic observers may decide to post. I don't think there's any outside commentary that we can't handle.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Ahhh! My browser ate my long response!

OK short version...

This DIR already encompasses a wide spectrum of belief, from the (basically) Christian to the (basically) Jewish. To open it up to those outside even this wide spectrum to post opinions with near authoritative strength without the ability to remove such opinions under DIR rules far outweighs the possible benefits of increased activity. IMHO

Shermana

Heretic
Hmm, I'd say such "authoritative" opinions would be ripe for picking but then it would turn this DIR into a debate thread. I see your point.

BlandOatmeal

I fellowship with Messianics; but I have no idea what a DIR is, and I am certain I am viewed as an "outsider" on ALL forums -- so of course, if I COULD vote, I would vote to change the rules. My mother was not Jewish, so I cannot be a "Messianic"; and my theology is non-trinitarian, so I cannot be a "Christian".

If this post is allowed, thank you for allowing it.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
DIR stands for Discuss Individual Religion and in a nutshell it's for members of that particular faith.

A more detailed explanation is top-right under the 'Forum Rules' link.

Welcome to RF!

Shalom

Shermana

Heretic
and my theology is non-trinitarian, so I cannot be a "Christian".

Indeed, you cannot be a "Christian" as they try to monopolize the meaning of the word to be, but you can definitely call yourself a Christian. The very first to be called Christians were Nazarene/Petrine Jews in Antioch. At what point the word came to mean just about anyone who claims to believe in Jesus is anyone's guess.

In fact, I'd say that Trinitarians are most often the "Christians" in quotation marks. (Though that doesn't mean I don't give the same respect for certain groups that will not be named here that don't believe in the Trinity either but also believe in Pauline antinomianism).

My mother was not Jewish, so I cannot be a "Messianic"

I personally believe it was always meant to be by Paternal, not Maternal lineage and this was a later development by the Rabbinicists. Was your Father?

Last edited:

BlandOatmeal

Thanks, Zardoz, for the "Welcome". I take that to mean that I may post on the Messianic Judaism DIR.

Shermana, I posted a reply to you on another "MDIR" thread. You call yourself a "Heretic", which is what I called myself for years. I consider you a brother, if you believe Jesus is the promised Messiah -- which I think you do. I also consider the Jews, however that's defined, to be God's chosen people. He never disowned them; He just has punished them from time to time for their blatant, gross unbelief and idolatry. Still, He's received them back into the Promised Land, starting with the Seculars; and I will not question His motives.

God bless and keep you.

BlandOatmeal

Indeed, you cannot be a "Christian" as they try to monopolize the meaning of the word to be, but you can definitely call yourself a Christian. The very first to be called Christians were Nazarene/Petrine Jews in Antioch. At what point the word came to mean just about anyone who claims to believe in Jesus is anyone's guess.

In fact, I'd say that Trinitarians are most often the "Christians" in quotation marks. (Though that doesn't mean I don't give the same respect for certain groups that will not be named here that don't believe in the Trinity either but also believe in Pauline antinomianism).

I personally believe it was always meant to be by Paternal, not Maternal lineage and this was a later development by the Rabbinicists. Was your Father?
Hi, Shermana

My late father was a Yankee (the ethnic group, not the ball team), an Agnostic, and unquestionably not Jewish. My Catholic mother's mother was patrilineally descended from Jews. I imagine I could post as a Catholic, if I didn't mind being verbally burned at the stake as a heretic (I'm non-Trinitarian).

Jesus, the disciples, and all the early church were Messianic Jews. Since I follow that lot, I ought to be called a Messianic Jew. I'm even circumcised, for God's sake (though my parents didn't realize Whose sake it was for -- They just let my Jewish doctor do it). The bottom line is,

Heb 11
[13] These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
[14] For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.
[15] And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
[16] But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

and

Jas 4
[4] Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

and

1 John 3
[13] Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.

and

John 15
18] If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
[19] If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
[20] Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.
[21] But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

My father called himself an agnostic, but I expect to see him in heaven. When he died, he left me a Strongs Concordance, a Vines Dictionary of NT Words and a Bible Handbook. At least he was curious. My mother read the Bible once, late in life, and concluded that she didn't agree with it -- and that she especially didn't like King David; and I don't think she would want to be in heaven if my dad were there. Sad. :facepalm:

It's a pity, that you and I don't have the same religion (as per our labels). It's just as well, I suppose -- If we had the same label, we could start an online church/shul together. We would soon find we disagreed on too many things, then have a schizm in our denomination of two. Even at that, we'd both be in good company: I don't think Jesus would be accepted in any group today.

Shalom shalom.

Last edited: