• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DIR Rules Poll, Magic DIR

Which option do you prefer for your DIR? (Read Post before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Panda

42?
Premium Member
As you may be aware we are currently changing the way all our DIR forums work and have decided to leave the option up to the individual members of each DIR to choose from. We have came up with two options that we think are suitable:

1. One method is the same as the way DIRs are currently run: non-members of that area are limited only to respectful questions, and are not allowed to make any non-question posts. These DIRs will remain blue as is currently the case.
  2. A second new method has been proposed for those DIR forums where, non-members of that area may make respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area. This includes questions, as well as knowledgeable comments. These DIRs will be coloured green
We would like your opinions on the matter so please vote for how you want your DIR to be run. Please ONLY vote in your own DIR.

In the case where there is a limited number of votes, less than 4, then a DIR will remain blue. In the event of a tie or if the votes are extremely close with a large number of votes they will also remain blue. We will only change the DIR rules if there is a clear majority.

NOTE: This poll is public so we know only members of the DIR are voting. This poll will automatically close after 30 days.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
This is the one dir were i think ill vote no. If one is knowledgeable then one is a magician?

Iti oj

Premium Member
Ugh I voted yes on principle but I kind of agree with this.
I wanted to vote yes on the principal too. but i was afraid of more misinformation.

But magic is/can be so personal that idk, is anyone really wrong?

Perhaps you can ask to change your vote?

if you did it would be a tie.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Magic is such a broad concept. With so many schools defining it in so many different ways I think it's important to make sure all voices really are welcome. I'm sure many has had a moment where the best ideas come from unexpected sources, and that's why opening the DIR to "respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area" make a lot of sense to me.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
It seems to me that anyone who knows magic/is knowledgeable in magic, practices magic. Beyond questions, what else could someone who does not practice magic really have to offer the conversation?

I'll wait a bit before voting, but I'm inclined to keeping option one. I'm not so sure that I'm interested in the opinions of those who don't actually practice.

I think this is a DIR for people who practice magic (in whatever form).

Iti oj

Premium Member
It seems to me that anyone who knows magic/is knowledgeable in magic, practices magic. Beyond questions, what else could someone who does not practice magic really have to offer the conversation?

I'll wait a bit before voting, but I'm inclined to keeping option one. I'm not so sure that I'm interested in the opinions of those who don't actually practice.

I think this is a DIR for people who practice magic (in whatever form).
exactly my point and why i voted to keep the rule the same here

Iti oj

Premium Member
maybe a none magic practicer could post an example of what we could expect if we did change the rules>

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Magic is such a broad concept. With so many schools defining it in so many different ways I think it's important to make sure all voices really are welcome. I'm sure many has had a moment where the best ideas come from unexpected sources, and that's why opening the DIR to "respectful posts that comply with the tenets and spirit of that area" make a lot of sense to me.

I'm quite sure all 'schools' of practitioners are welcome here. The key word being practitioners IMO. However, I would have no problem with anyone posting sources such as books or videos produced by those who DO practice magic.

Iti oj

Premium Member
I'm quite sure all 'schools' of practitioners are welcome here. The key word being practitioners IMO. However, I would have no problem with anyone posting sources such as books or videos produced by those who DO practice magic.
again agreed. lol nix is speaking my mind better then i am

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Without trying to derail the discussion too much, please define "magic" and "practice" for me. The first obvious distinction comes when you have magic and magick under the same roof. I for one include quite a handful of practices under the definion of "magick", when "magick" is defined as the practice of changing yourself/reality to better fit your will. I understand the flipside of opening the DIR to a larger audience and I don't want the threads to move away from the actual subject, but I keep to the opinion that many potential helpful commenters wouldn't necessarily view themselves as practitioners of magic. Still, if they're interested in the threads in the DIR and think they have something valuable to say, aren't they already almost practicing magicians according to your definition?

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Without trying to derail the discussion too much, please define "magic" and "practice" for me. The first obvious distinction comes when you have magic and magick under the same roof. I for one include quite a handful of practices under the definion of "magick", when "magick" is defined as the practice of changing yourself/reality to better fit your will. I understand the flipside of opening the DIR to a larger audience and I don't want the threads to move away from the actual subject, but I keep to the opinion that many potential helpful commenters wouldn't necessarily view themselves as practitioners of magic. Still, if they're interested in the threads in the DIR and think they have something valuable to say, aren't they already almost practicing magicians according to your definition?

Well sure, if we're going to say that anyone who has changed themself or their reality to better fit their will practices magic- we could include anyone who has successfully attained better employment, or completed a degree in a field of choice, found a more compatible partner, or even gone for a make over or lost weight.

Perhaps I should have said the Purposeful Practice of Magic/k (however you choose to spell it). This generally ranges from purposeful (self designed) psychodrama (with the intent to effect change), to belief in the assistance of supernatural forces (usually through some kind of ritual).... ALONG WITH all of the 'normal' pragmatic things other people do in order to bring about wanted changes in themselves and their lives/realities.

Sure. This could include even many people who would not WANT to be considered as practitioners of 'magic/k', religious and non religious alike.

But if we're just gunna talk about the normal everyday things people do to make positive, self desired changes in their lives, we might as well call it the "self help" DIR? :shrug:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, I don't believe magic is supernatural in nature, so that doesn't work, either. Sorry to be contrary.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
Actually, I don't believe magic is supernatural in nature, so that doesn't work, either. Sorry to be contrary.

I don't either, and maybe 'supernatural' isn't the best word, but certainly there are those who cast spells and such to invoke the assistance of 'spirits' (that they have literal belief in) on the other side and such, in the accomplishment of the spell caster's will.

I personally have no problem with the inclusion of practitioners of this mindset, or belief system- though it is not my own.

Last edited:

NIX

Daughter of Chaos

I was just attempting to point to the opposite end extremes. Natural/nature witches maybe are somewhere in the middle? Psychodrama is my thing mostly, so I don't know so much about other approaches- but they are all welcome in the magic DIR of course.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel the poll really doesn't apply here. It was posted in every DIR, yeah, but this one's pretty unique.

Iti oj

Premium Member
Actually, the more I think about it, the more I feel the poll really doesn't apply here. It was posted in every DIR, yeah, but this one's pretty unique.
do you want to change your vote? i think Sylvan might too

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
No, I don't think it matters. I mean I get that the the Reds need to fit us into the new structure, but does anyone really think it'll make a difference day to day?