• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DIR Forums Take Two

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What part of "accident" do you not understand? People don't often look at which forum they are about to post in. Why is this so hard for you to comprehend?
Exactly!
How hard would it be to post DIR thread titles in blue or green, or a different script, so they'd be immediately recognizable as restricted?

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
Exactly!
How hard would it be to post DIR thread titles in blue or green, or a different script, so they'd be immediately recognizable as restricted?
This idea was discussed back when I was on Staff. I believe it was that the current forum software had no way of doing that and we had a vote. The result of the vote was that all DIRs remain blue. IIRC it was because making all DIRs green could easily result in debates in DIRs.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This idea was discussed back when I was on Staff. I believe it was that the current forum software had no way of doing that and we had a vote. The result of the vote was that all DIRs remain blue. IIRC it was because making all DIRs green could easily result in debates in DIRs.

Pretty much this. Or if there was a way to make it work, none of us had access to the tool to change the colors or anything. The only person with unfettered access to site management tools is the site owner.

Plus, different colors doesn't say to a new member "this forum is restricted" like "wut... I can't post in this area" does anyway, yeah? I think in the long run this system will be better. But, still mulling it over. :D

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So how will this new system work? Will we be automatically be blocked from posting in an unauthorized DIR?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Pretty much this. Or if there was a way to make it work, none of us had access to the tool to change the colors or anything. The only person with unfettered access to site management tools is the site owner.

Plus, different colors doesn't say to a new member "this forum is restricted" like "wut... I can't post in this area" does anyway, yeah? I think in the long run this system will be better. But, still mulling it over. :D

Maybe if you used red... lol.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Can we post questions in DIRs we're not subscribed to?

Nope. Currently, I'd recommend asking questions about various traditions here: Religions Q&A (it's what the forum was created for).

If this ends up being the longstanding way we do things, we'll adjust the wording of Rule 10 accordingly.

MD

qualiaphile
Nope. Currently, I'd recommend asking questions about various traditions here: Religions Q&A (it's what the forum was created for).

If this ends up being the longstanding way we do things, we'll adjust the wording of Rule 10 accordingly.

Well that's a huge blow to the smaller DIRs. So am I the only one who can post in the Zoroastrian DIR now? Even ex Zoroastrians or members who are partial to Zoroastrianism cannot post there?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well that's a huge blow to the smaller DIRs. So am I the only one who can post in the Zoroastrian DIR now? Even ex Zoroastrians or members who are partial to Zoroastrianism cannot post there?
Have you not read the explanation? If someone asks to be allowed, the staff can do it. It just isn't automatic.
Tom

Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Truth is One, many are the Names
Premium Member
Namaste, @Brent W and mods
As you know, I can no longer post in any DIR without declaring an affiliation with or at least an affinity to a minimum of one religion, from a selection of religions and beliefs of your choosing. How can you not see the complete unrighteousness of this? Will you next be asking forum members to disavow at least one religion, too? IMO, you are using a hammer to smash an ant and breaking the tabletop in the process.

As I said before and after considerable reflection continue to believe, this solution for RF is adharma, a position I cannot support for myself nor comfortably ask others to support and indeed it is illustrative of the generality of ill-thought out and increasingly seriously skewed ideas for "fixing things" which result in rules and controls members of our cultures and societies everywhere are being told they MUST accept or they risk being locked out of some part of their society... and now in a bizarre twist of irrationality, for not declaring a predilection, here at RF they are locked out! So be it.

While I offer the warmest and deepest heartfelt salutations to the people I believe I might have befriended here, I must ask you to please close my account at this site. I don't see a method to do that myself.

I thank my Beloved, sincerely, for the opportunities I was offered to share my path with the members of RF this past year.

OM and Prem,
Sw. Vandana Jyothi

Brent W

Resident Tech Guy
While I offer the warmest and deepest heartfelt salutations to the people I believe I might have befriended here, I must ask you to please close my account at this site. I don't see a method to do that myself.

Just don't log back in. I am honestly tired of hearing your non stop complaining about this. I have said over and over again that we are open to adjustments with this and this might not be the end solution. Yet you continue to act like we just destroyed every single human right you have on this earth.

We are going to try it though and we are going to try to make it work. We are going to continue to adjust where we see fit and we are going to try to come to a solution that can make both our staff and members happy. I am not out to please every single person though.

I am sorry you feel that you can't post here at all now but I am not going continue this discussion anymore with you about this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
[ffedffd
Just don't log back in. I am honestly tired of hearing your non stop complaining about this. I have said over and over again that we are open to adjustments with this and this might not be the end solution. Yet you continue to act like we just destroyed every single human right you have on this earth.

We are going to try it though and we are going to try to make it work. We are going to continue to adjust where we see fit and we are going to try to come to a solution that can make both our staff and members happy. I am not out to please every single person though.

I am sorry you feel that you can't post here at all now but I am not going continue this discussion anymore with you about this.
Dang.....
Condolences, dude.

Brent W

Resident Tech Guy
We now show a notice if you don't have access explaining how to join DIRs.

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 9.56.33 PM.png

Liu

Right. Just the way you worded it made it sound as though it was already happening. My mistake. I.e. "We've got" as in 'we have got' Jews posting in the Muslim DIR.
Well the Satanist? signing up in Abrahamic DIR has already happened.
Really? Well, there are some kinds of Satanists where I would consider it justified if they consider themselves Abrahamic:

- so-called Inverse Christians: People who believe in the theology of an Abrahamic religion with no or only very view modifications, but just choose the other side.
Since people like that aren't really welcome in the LHP-DIR (or so I would assume, they are pretty rare on this forum), the Abrahamic DIR would be the right place for them as they have much more in common with Abrahamics than with other kinds of Satanists, theologically and often philosophically.

-LHPers who venerate YHVH. We have at least one such user in this forum, if I member correctly, so this is actually a thing. I'm a bit less sure whether they should be allowed to post in the Abrahamic DIR, but it would seem like a matter of case by case decision, not an outright no.

But regarding more typical Satanists, I agree, most of us don't belong to the Abrahamic DIR.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Huh, what is that, like some sort of " you are not allowed to talk to me " rule ?

Here's a crazy idea: if you want to know what the rule's about you could, you know, read it.

Especially since, as you've already mentioned, we've sent you two personalized copies already.