• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DIR Forums Take Two

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I can post in the Neopagan DIR, again! Thank you!!!

Interesting. I unchecked and then checked the Neopagan DIR box on your profile again via the admin CP. Not sure if that was it or if there's something else I'm not aware of.

In any case, good to know you can post there again now. :D

von bek

Interesting. I unchecked and then checked the Neopagan DIR box on your profile again via the admin CP. Not sure if that was it or if there's something else I'm not aware of.

In any case, good to know you can post there again now. :D

I have no idea what was happening. Thought maybe all access to DIRs had been suspended while things were getting settled. But, I saw others posting... No worries. Thank you, all!

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The explanation about avoiding accidental postings in DIRs is fine with me - that makes sense.

But what about @Revoltingest surprisingly (for him) good suggestion about bringing back green DIRs.

Also, I have not yet seen an answer to my question about my selecting a DIR and being told that I can't post there as happened in the Judaism DIR because I did not list "Judaism" in my religion field. The revised plan does not address any updates to that issue.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Correct and this approach will prevent those from happening while still giving access to everyone who wishes to participate within those DIRs.

That's definitely big bonus to this, but also a big downside. I mean, what if one is browsing a DIR they are not a member of, and something strikes them? They won't even be allowed to ask questions on the topic, to educate himself on it?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's definitely big bonus to this, but also a big downside. I mean, what if one is browsing a DIR they are not a member of, and something strikes them? They won't even be allowed to ask questions on the topic, to educate himself on it?
It's simple. You just ask the question outside the DIR, in a new thread.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Another question that I believe was brought up but not answered: What about read-only access to all DIRs. I too have found it informative to read some threads in various religions sometimes.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Another question that I believe was brought up but not answered: What about read-only access to all DIRs. I too have found it informative to read some threads in various religions sometimes.
I don't think reading will an issue.

I can access all of the DIR'S to read, but the quote and respond buttons are gone in all but the Abrahamic DIR (which I chose earlier today).

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
I have selected neopaganism from the DIR selections on my member page. When I go to the Neopaganism DIR, I am told I have insufficient privilege to participate. If I cannot participate in discussions about my own beliefs, there is no point in me participating in any discussion.

I just updated my preferences as well and cannot post either. I checked to see if I remembered to save the changes and I did.

To Mods: Does it take awhile before the changes take effect or are they suppose to be immediate?

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I just updated my preferences as well and cannot post either. I checked to see if I remembered to save the changes and I did.

To Mods: Does it take awhile before the changes take effect or are they suppose to be immediate?
I can't post in mine either.

von bek

My guess is that maybe it takes a little bit of time. Hope it lets you in, soon.

Bob the Unbeliever

Re: Being unable to post in selected DIRs.

I would suggest clearing your browser's Cache. I would presume that theses are likely stored in a local cookie or similar.

Alternatively, log out of RF, then log back in--again, that ought to refresh the settings in your local browser.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
We're looking at a way to do this, like posting outside your selected DIR flags a mod to approve the post and make sure it's a respectful question. Still ironing out the kinks, nothing set in stone yet.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There is a catch-22 with this decision as I was thinking.

You have people with multiple faiths and not all of us are mainstream. Of course, we can choose more than one DIR but then think about it,

isn't that defeating the purpose of a DIR, to post in one you are more affiliated to and people of like-minds?

I don't know about the ratio of who actually and purposely with due consideration violate DIRs and who do not whether they know it or not,

Before you had a full map but there were no sectioned off territories. People had a choice to convenience where they will and were told the boundaries based on who lives in that part of the area. Everyone was happy. Some people accidentally tripped over the boundaries others hopped and skipped.

Now, colonization happens, and people start buying up the land and actually making providence so there are not just "respected" boundaries but forced boundaries. There is a difference between the two. So you have people wondering off in the wilderness because they don't want to commit to one group when the land used to be free. Then, at the same time, they want to have their own space with people like them.

Sorry, I see it everywhere. Good idea but no place for people who are wonders and are not into forced (permissioned) boundaries. Defeats the purpose of RF. Also, I liked the open feel of knowing you can't post in a DIR but at least you didn't have a fence post preventing you from doing so.

That's my take.

I honestly don't know which DIR to check off because I don't believe in synchronicity with people when I'm not one body with them.