• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dining Out Alone

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Because no one can stomach being around me IRL Because I choose to experience life solo, I occasionally notice pitiful looks from those around me when I dine in a restaurant alone. I go to a restaurant because I love the food, the interaction with the waiter(ess), and those at table around me, who I often find myself interacting with.

"[Salix], party of one" makes me giggle because my canned response in spite of these pitiful looks is "...and what a party it will be." That response usually draws laughter from onlookers and sparks some interesting conversation.

For some reason, society has made dining out some sort of social event. Not sure why.

How many of you just wanna eat when you go to a restaurant?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I do.

My friends also consider it weird when I go to a movie alone.

I'm at the movie to watch the movie!! Please let me know in advance if you consider this a social event and want me to hold your hand or put my arm around you. Otherwise, this could just get weird.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm at the movie to watch the movie!! Please let me know in advance if you consider this a social event and want me to hold your hand or put my arm around you. Otherwise, this could just get weird.

first-date-success-cinema.gif

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm always alone in the coffeehouse eating and drinking and no-one cares.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Because no one can stomach being around me IRL Because I choose to experience life solo, I occasionally notice pitiful looks from those around me when I dine in a restaurant alone. I go to a restaurant because I love the food, the interaction with the waiter(ess), and those at table around me, who I often find myself interacting with.

"[Salix], party of one" makes me giggle because my canned response in spite of these pitiful looks is "...and what a party it will be." That response usually draws laughter from onlookers and sparks some interesting conversation.

For some reason, society has made dining out some sort of social event. Not sure why.

How many of you just wanna eat when you go to a restaurant?
lol. I hear ya.

In my family, being together with family almost always involves food; potlucks are big with us. I always think that people dining alone are doing so because they're traveling, or they have work to do, or need time to think...I've done that often enough, and am not concerned about others and their dining preferences...I really don't expect everyone to be eating with company out at restaurants, nor at their homes...

When I go to a restaurant, I really don't want to interact with anyone but the waitstaff. My wife is more gregarious, but frankly, she's not all that interested in anything beyond us and our meal...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Eating alone doesn't make me feel like I'm being judged. Going to the movie theater alone does though.

Interesting. I would think the former would be more of a social activity than the latter. One can talk between bites, but it's annoying when people talk to each other during a movie. Of course, my daughter and I are quite annoying to the other moviegoers before the movie starts...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I used to eat at a sushi bar alone quite often. I was not the only one. The sushi bar was more of a mixed environment than tables were and you could get to know the regulars. So it was both a way to get the food that I wanted and it was still a bit of a social affair.

At the same time I did also frequent a Mexican restaurant where I would eat alone at a table. There I was a rarity, but not the only one that did that.