• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dilemma

LongGe123

Hello!

While I'm sitting here in my apartment watching all the exciting thunder, lightning and lashing rain outside, I thought maybe I'd use this discussion board to ask the sage counsel of the fair members of this site.

I'm currently facing a huge personal crisis and I'm chronically short of help to solve it! If anyone's read any of my other posts anywhere on here you may well know that I've been in China the last 5 months working as a teacher. I'm only 19 years old and I'm supposed to be going to University this October in Durham, NE England. This is an absolutely amazing University, world-renowned and in the UK certainly considered "up there" with Oxford and Cambridge. The thing is though I recently changed my course from a 4 year course to a 3 year one, and now I've got this potential spare year on my hands. I call it a spare year because I feel I could use it for something now, start university in 2006 and then still finish University exactly as planned, in terms of the year at least.

So here's what I've been thinking. I thought I could defer my entrance to University until 2006, return home in August as planned but then come back in September and work for the entire academic year, which would be awesome. I'd be able to continue my Chinese learning and by the time I start university be fairly proficient in Chinese. On top of all this I know I'd be able to carry on teaching the wonderful students I've come to love this year, or at least most of them. Some of them are going into a year of school where they don't have a foreign teacher, but many of them I will be able to teach, and my bosses promised me that if I came back they'd get me all my favourite classes and have already told me which schools they'll put me in, IE my favourite ones.

On the other hand of course I really really want to go to University, I really do. I keep having images of me at uni in my mind and I really love it! It'll be so much fun and I also do really miss studying, working, academics. I love all that stuff, I'm just a studious person at heart! I'm also conscious of my friends all being so far ahead of me with their University activities. I kind of feel like I'll be being left behind. I'm also really worried about forgetting how to study, forgetting how to do academic work which could affect my studies in the future. I'm worried I'll be putting it off for too long, since I'm now coming to the end of what was supposed to be my "gap year" - should I really turn it into a 2 year-long gap? I'm really unsure what to do and I would be very interested to hear anyone opinion, whatever it may be, on what they think I should do.

You can find out more about it here at my msn space
http://spaces.msn.com/members/tommytommy1985
You have to type it in like this (no www) otherwise it won't work. Read the blog entry "It get's harder and harder" - This is how I'm feeling at the moment, really lost, but it's drawing me closer to coming back. I really really am stuck - any help?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There are some real advantages to Going when you are older and perhaps wiser.
I went to college after my army service so I started when I was 22. Apart from the fact some of the others seemed like children. At least I had a better idea how to run my life. And the staff certainly like a few more mature students to settle things down. But what ever you do involve the family, at the very least they will want to be asked.They will have plans too.

Terry
_____________________________________________-
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wouldn't wait for college. The sooner you can start, the sooner you finish, and the sooner your life is fully started. Well, thats how I motivated myself to go to college right after high school. I was going to wait a year or two, but decided it wouldn't be for the best.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
I waited, and it was right for me...a year off. I would be very carefull about putting things off for longer than that though, life can change drastically in a year and you may not have the opertunity to go to where you want with school next year. I'm sure you can always find a place to learn Chinese in the UK if you looks. But hey, I'm can only talk from my experience. Good luck either way.

Unedited

Your situation is obviously fairly complicated, so I don't know if it would work, but would it be possible for you to go to university for one or two years, then go back to China for a year to 'study abroad'?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Obviously it is for you to decide what to do - we can only tell you what we individually think.
I must admit to being surprized by your age - for some reason, I imagined you much older, I am not sure why........

My son James is at Durham, BTW ! - doing modern Languages, by coincidence - although he is in Spain at the moment, for his year abroad (he did the first seven months in Clermont-Ferrand) - and he loves it.

My older son decided to take a year out before Uni, and somehow managed to talk himself out of going in the end; he then realized he had made a mistake, and is now doing a course in Southampton.........

I do know of the tendency - as someone before me has mentioned - of finding it hard to 'get back into the studying frame of mind' if you do have a gap year....:)

LongGe123

hmmm i know. I've found out today that the University will give me until the 12th to decide if I want to defer. This gives me 3 days back in the UK to reflect on what to do. I'm worried this just isn't enough time, but then if I don't defer, a couple of weeks later I could decide I really want to come back and then I'll regret the decision not to defer. argh this is why i'm tearing myself in pieces right now