• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difficult gods?

agorman

Premium Member
Is it normal that Celtic gods be extremely hard to approach? The last time I put them on an altar (Danu and Brighid), I was informed by them (through feelings and thoughts) that at my level of development I already could go on with my life without any gods; just with the capabilities of my own true self. But I don't feel ready yet to deal with everything by myself (like any other human being, I may have some knowledge; but I'm certainly not a god!).

So all other pantheons I've tried were much easier for establishing a relationship with. But the culture I feel identified with is the Irish one. So it always happens the same to me; I end up relating to gods (or buddhas) of a culture I don't feel as my own and although they might be helpful sometimes, I think it would be easier if I could be guided and protected by Celtic deities. Also studying mythology from a place I love is less cumbersome.

Does my experience match yours with the Celtic gods?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I've never tried to work with the Celtic Gods, honestly, mostly because there's just so little we know about them. The only one I might work with is Brigid, because it's from her name that the word "Britain" probably comes from, and my mother is descended from the British Isles. But even then I don't really know anything about her.

vaguelyhumanoid

Cailleach seems pretty cool. Celtic mythology seems hard to approach though - I know basic facts about some of the deities, but not so much the larger context.of the stories etc.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
I've never tried to work with the Celtic Gods, honestly, mostly because there's just so little we know about them. The only one I might work with is Brigid, because it's from her name that the word "Britain" probably comes from, and my mother is descended from the British Isles. But even then I don't really know anything about her.

Britain actually comes from the Latin Pretanni/Pretannic Isles which was the original name given to that land but was eventually misspelt with a B.

My experience with our gods is personal, but difficult. We know so little about our own gods that establishing proper relationships with them is difficult. It can be emotionally frustrating and hard getting around to them, but once you get the basic idea of the gods, it can be easier to approach them.

It's a very unfortunate thing that the Druids were against writing their lore down because they effectively damned the majority of it to be consigned to the mists of history.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Is it normal that Celtic gods be extremely hard to approach? The last time I put them on an altar (Danu and Brighid), I was informed by them (through feelings and thoughts) that at my level of development I already could go on with my life without any gods; just with the capabilities of my own true self. But I don't feel ready yet to deal with everything by myself (like any other human being, I may have some knowledge; but I'm certainly not a god!).

So all other pantheons I've tried were much easier for establishing a relationship with. But the culture I feel identified with is the Irish one. So it always happens the same to me; I end up relating to gods (or buddhas) of a culture I don't feel as my own and although they might be helpful sometimes, I think it would be easier if I could be guided and protected by Celtic deities. Also studying mythology from a place I love is less cumbersome.

Does my experience match yours with the Celtic gods?

Of all the Celtic deities, I've only approached Cernunnos in the past - and that was after he, I believe, approached me. It was confusing; I began journeying to the nearby forest on a regular basis to make offerings of fruit, seeds and water and I set up a small altar inside for bad weather. After a while I received no additional contact and I just assumed he lost interest. But maybe he hasn't. I dunno...

The other Celtic deity that currently interests me is Sulis; I'm developing an increasing interest in water cults. Sulis may not have been worshipped in what is now Scotland but that won't stop me.

Britain actually comes from the Latin Pretanni/Pretannic Isles

I think the term 'Pretani' is actually a Greek word. Apparently it came from Pythias of Massalia in the 4th Century BCE.

Last edited: