• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Difficult" coworker, on an "I hate Frank" campaign

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Just a little taste and slice of the looniness Homo sapiens is capable of. And yes, my real name is Frank, for those who don't know. ;) Btw, this is long, and I think a humdinger.

Anyway, I probably mentioned this person before. She's more than "rough", she's a foul-mouthed alcoholic (slips out on break to hit the liquor store for those small shots), she hates and gossips about everyone, spreads false stories, tries to get people riled up by trying to pit one person against the other, does everything she can to avoid doing any work, argues with customers and calls them names. Think of Eris the Goddess of Strife in Greek mythology, who threw the golden apple sparking the Trojan War.

I'm her latest target. Bear in mind I was giving her a ride to and from work, going out of my way and going out 10-15 minutes before I needed to. I came to find out she was talking behind my back the whole time. One day I was packing-out and pricing food items. She said to a coworker "What's he doing? Why's he at the scale so long?" My other coworker said "He's doing his job!" She's been asking people where I am and why I'm away so long... um maybe because I'm off doing my job elsewhere in the store? Telling people I suck at my job and don't do anything (that's why I have 51 hours this week, 11 of which I volunteered for). When I started working there she'd tell other employees "Y'know that guy Frank is gay". So? :shrug: I'm open but it's not her place to announce it. Besides, no one cares. The pièce de résistance was when she called me a ****** (I know the word filter got it, but it's the pejorative f-word for a gay man) behind my back. She told a coworker "He gets on my nerves, I could strangle him. He doesn't do any work".

I finally said to my boss (a great guy I'd walk into Hell for) "I have to talk to you". His jaw dropped and his eyes popped open, especially at the pejorative f-word. I was so rattled my stutter got worse. He called me into HR that afternoon with the HR manager who told me to write it all up. They called in three others who told my boss and the HR manager what they heard from her. I'm sure there was more than what they told me. They also wrote up full page documentation on my behalf, throwing her under the bus.

This person has done so much to my head, making me question my abilities I often thought about quitting. The HR manager and my boss told me " You are one of the hardest working members of the dept. There's not a manger who knows you who doesn't have good things to say about you. We get compliments from customers. We wouldn't give you the jobs we do if we didn't think you could handle it. Leave your doubts in this office". The HR manager wanted me to go to a manager application meeting.

I don't ordinarily wish bad on people but I hope this coworker is finally fired. They've been waiting for an opportunity, and this is unquestionably harassment, bullying and creating a hostile environment. My niece works for the NJ DoL and told me I have a harassment case. Not against the store, they're taking action. I will go after her and bury her. All because of jealousy. I joke with customers and coworkers and smile all the time, they smile back at me, I make them laugh. I'm there 10 months, and she thinks I'm our boss's pet. Her hours got cut to less than full time, mine got increased to full time. The irony is that she leaves early and calls out. I called out last week for the first time in months (my back). Even the payroll manager was worried. She asked my boss "Is Frank OK? He never calls out".

So yeah ... a little slice of humanity. :rolleyes: And a rant. :p

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I have met someone like that, too. Its like the person has left their body and put a guard dog in their place, and it only perceives you as a threat. If there is a smile it is in order to set you up for a back stab, etc. I know this person.

They need more than alcohol. They need to be on painkillers 24/7. This person you are talking about would be better off having their pain center surgically removed and maybe their ability to fear, too.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Learn to like you and let others think what they will.
No one can get in your head unless you let them in there.
You can't change other people... you can only change your perception of them and that is enough. This person is obviously miserable and needs a friend.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Your coworker sounds like she needs help dealing with the alcohol problem and whatever is poisoning her soul.

I hope this situation is resolved for you. Workplace dramas can be really draining.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have met someone like that, too. Its like the person has left their body and put a guard dog in their place, and it only perceives you as a threat. If there is a smile it is in order to set you up for a back stab, etc. I know this person.

They need more than alcohol. They need to be on painkillers 24/7. This person you are talking about would be better off having their pain center surgically removed and maybe their ability to fear, too.

Very, very toxic. Fortunately everyone knows what she's about. When she's not there, her days off, call-outs, the atmosphere is so much lighter. We joke, we laugh, we act crazy. Besides the alcoholism, which I know can change a person's mentality and emotional state, there has to be something else wrong with her. It's sad but it's not my job to feel sorry for her or compassion. I worship the God of Compassion, karuṇā ke sāgara as we say, "the ocean of compassion" but I can't bring myself to feel sorry for her. That causes me conflict.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
A situation you don't need, i think you have done the right thing to speak to the manager (etc) of your concerns. I hope it all works out

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Learn to like you and let others think what they will.
No one can get in your head unless you let them in there.
You can't change other people... you can only change your perception of them and that is enough. This person is obviously miserable and needs a friend.

You're right, and I'm evicting her from my head, especially after the talk from my boss and the HR manager.. So many of us have tried to be her friend but she always turns on us. The Scorpion and the Frog. She's the scorpion. I went off on her one day for her bullying, humiliating me and ordering me around in front of coworkers and customers. She gave me a half-hearted apology, which i accepted. but she soon went back to her ways. I have been distancing myself, keeping conversation related only to work.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Very, very toxic. Fortunately everyone knows what she's about. When she's not there, her days off, call-outs, the atmosphere is so much lighter. We joke, we laugh, we act crazy. Besides the alcoholism, which I know can change a person's mentality and emotional state, there has to be something else wrong with her. It's sad but it's not my job to feel sorry for her or compassion. I worship the God of Compassion, karuṇā ke sāgara as we say, "the ocean of compassion" but I can't bring myself to feel sorry for her. That causes me conflict.

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. If you can't feel compassion for her, leave it to the gods.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Your coworker sounds like she needs help dealing with the alcohol problem and whatever is poisoning her soul.

I hope this situation is resolved for you. Workplace dramas can be really draining.

Thanks. It really is draining. When she's there we are constantly on guard. We're careful to not say too much in front of her otherwise she'll take it, twist it and spread it around. Now she wants to know what I'm talking about any time I'm talking to someone else. She's getting paranoid. She asked someone "what's Frank talking to John about?" John is my boss! lol If we're not talking nerdy stuff and music (he's a self-described nerd and drummer, I play guitar and bass) he's giving me instructions or other work stuff.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
A situation you don't need, i think you have done the right thing to speak to the manager (etc) of your concerns. I hope it all works out

Thanks. I go back to work tomorrow. I was off today, she was off yesterday and the day before. The past two days were heaven without her. I can only imagine her reaction when she finds out (and she will) that I worked 2 hours o.t. on Tuesday and volunteered my day off yesterday because we're short-staffed. I live for the simple things. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. If you can't feel compassion for her, leave it to the gods.

For sure. I used to think of that "forgive us as we forgive others ..." but as a Hindu I'm not obligated to do that. I let karma do all that. :D And I accept mine.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Just a little taste and slice of the looniness Homo sapiens is capable of. And yes, my real name is Frank, for those who don't know. ;) Btw, this is long, and I think a humdinger.

Anyway, I probably mentioned this person before. She's more than "rough", she's a foul-mouthed alcoholic (slips out on break to hit the liquor store for those small shots), she hates and gossips about everyone, spreads false stories, tries to get people riled up by trying to pit one person against the other, does everything she can to avoid doing any work, argues with customers and calls them names. Think of Eris the Goddess of Strife in Greek mythology, who threw the golden apple sparking the Trojan War.

I'm her latest target. Bear in mind I was giving her a ride to and from work, going out of my way and going out 10-15 minutes before I needed to. I came to find out she was talking behind my back the whole time. One day I was packing-out and pricing food items. She said to a coworker "What's he doing? Why's he at the scale so long?" My other coworker said "He's doing his job!" She's been asking people where I am and why I'm away so long... um maybe because I'm off doing my job elsewhere in the store? Telling people I suck at my job and don't do anything (that's why I have 51 hours this week, 11 of which I volunteered for). When I started working there she'd tell other employees "Y'know that guy Frank is gay". So? :shrug: I'm open but it's not her place to announce it. Besides, no one cares. The pièce de résistance was when she called me a ****** (I know the word filter got it, but it's the pejorative f-word for a gay man) behind my back. She told a coworker "He gets on my nerves, I could strangle him. He doesn't do any work".

I finally said to my boss (a great guy I'd walk into Hell for) "I have to talk to you". His jaw dropped and his eyes popped open, especially at the pejorative f-word. I was so rattled my stutter got worse. He called me into HR that afternoon with the HR manager who told me to write it all up. They called in three others who told my boss and the HR manager what they heard from her. I'm sure there was more than what they told me. They also wrote up full page documentation on my behalf, throwing her under the bus.

This person has done so much to my head, making me question my abilities I often thought about quitting. The HR manager and my boss told me " You are one of the hardest working members of the dept. There's not a manger who knows you who doesn't have good things to say about you. We get compliments from customers. We wouldn't give you the jobs we do if we didn't think you could handle it. Leave your doubts in this office". The HR manager wanted me to go to a manager application meeting.

I don't ordinarily wish bad on people but I hope this coworker is finally fired. They've been waiting for an opportunity, and this is unquestionably harassment, bullying and creating a hostile environment. My niece works for the NJ DoL and told me I have a harassment case. Not against the store, they're taking action. I will go after her and bury her. All because of jealousy. I joke with customers and coworkers and smile all the time, they smile back at me, I make them laugh. I'm there 10 months, and she thinks I'm our boss's pet. Her hours got cut to less than full time, mine got increased to full time. The irony is that she leaves early and calls out. I called out last week for the first time in months (my back). Even the payroll manager was worried. She asked my boss "Is Frank OK? He never calls out".

I've known someone like that, but fortunately she was the step sister of a friend and easier to avoid. Hopefully the harassment will be enough for them to get her of their store and your life, and they'll make it happen soon.
And hopefully she can get the help she clearly needs.

Bird123

Angry? Hurt? Taking it all personal? Hate? Want revenge or pay back?

It doesn't matter what anyone else chooses to do. It's what you choose to do that counts!! Are you allowing the actions of another to influence or control your choices??

I know there is love and kindness in you. That ride to work and the friendly customers show it. Why have you allowed the actions of another turn you around?

OK, I'm in your shoes. I would have gone directly and got it from the horses mouth. I would look her in the eyes and ask her about it. I would attempt to show her how she is defining herself through her choices. I would point out how she is hurting others. I would ask her what has happened to her that makes her choose what she is doing. In short, I would be her Best Friend and try to Help her.

If she would not listen, I would tell her I was going to HR. If I had to go to HR, I would tell HR the entire story and that I do not want to get her in trouble. I would request that I, her, and HR have a meeting and hash it all out together.

If you do this with Love and Kindness, you might not only solve your problem, but the problems she is going to cause so many others. Yes, Point her in the right direction!!

So often the gut reaction when we receive hate from others is to hate back. On the other hand, is that really the Best choice?

Problems never go away until they are fixed. Brains win in the end. It has always been better to Think then act rather than simply reacting.

If you base yourself to Love, Kindness, and Intelligence, you will see. When others come to you hurting and hateful, it is no more than their way of crying for help. Clearly, they are the ones who really have the problem.

While it's true no one can guaranty the actions of another, one can point and lead them to the light and a Higher Level.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!