• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Different beliefs

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
is it wrong to ask a question about why someone "trashtalk" someone elses belief?
Wisdom comes from questioning, and being assertive isn't Adharmic; allowing bad Karma is.
Can we not agree in this world that we see things differently and believe things differently?
It should be expected everyone sees things differently; as we all have different points of view.

Some perceive their view better than others, and some are willing to try every view.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall
I've had enough of this nonsense. I'm right OK and everybody else just needs to agree, because if you don't I'll feel bad about myself. So just get a grip, obey and send me your money and your women......

GoodbyeDave

Why can we not accept that other may believe different then our self?
It's not the beliefs that cause the problem, but the actions they inspire.

Recently in Malaysia two women were beaten for being lesbians, by order of an Islamic court. Had they not been Muslims, they would not have even been arrested. So, could they not have avoided the beating by declaring they were no longer Muslims? No, because that would have been the crime of apostacy! Their parents had declared them Muslims when they were born, so they were stuck with it. That's why people like me make hostile remarks about Islam.

I can accept other people believing whatever they like; the problem is when they expect the rest of us to comply with their beliefs.

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall

Recently in Malaysia two women were beaten for being lesbians, by order of an Islamic court. Had they not been Muslims, they would not have even been arrested. So, could they not have avoided the beating by declaring they were no longer Muslims? No, because that would have been the crime of apostacy! Their parents had declared them Muslims when they were born, so they were stuck with it. That's why people like me make hostile remarks about Islam.

I can accept other people believing whatever they like; the problem is when they expect the rest of us to comply with their beliefs.

Thank God we live in a relatively civilised society, and not some dinosaur culture. My wife is bi-sexual can't imagine that happening to her.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

That place can be quite repressive. I'd love to travel there (for the Hinduism) but I don't.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I've had enough of this nonsense. I'm right OK and everybody else just needs to agree, because if you don't I'll feel bad about myself. So just get a grip, obey and send me your money and your women......

You're not getting my money....

A Vestigial Mote

Buddha said one time, if you find flaw in my teaching then don`t follow it (the teaching)
And this advice is actually great - especially for metaphysical or philosophical ideas. Where one will still run into problems, however, is when the belief or "teaching" is taken at face value, and all evidence or reality to the contrary is ignored or discarded. You will then find yourself in conflict with more rational people who do accept reality and demonstrable explanations for its facets. I simply find it odd that others hold it against those who do "follow the evidence" for feeling compelled to attempt to get another on board with demonstrable reality... especially in the face of what may be irrational acceptance of a competing, non-demonstrable "reality" of their own.

I would even hold myself accountable in such a way if, instead of being completely non-demonstrable, Christianity (as an example) had loads and loads of evidence, such that it would be irrational to deny the claims made about God. If it were such that the case for Christianity was made via reasonable, demonstrable means, I would be the one "in the wrong" by ignoring the realities and instead making my own way and holding my own competing beliefs that were not consistent with the demonstrable reality.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Why do you think some people need to trashtalk about other people belief in religion?
Can you be 100% our own belief is the right?
What may seem to you to be "trash talk" may be nothing more than part of the discussion and debate this site was designed to promote. Don't mistake a strong difference of opinion for trashing someone else's religious beliefs. It should be obvious that any difference of opinion could naturally include a strong disagreement with ones beliefs. And if you can't accept this perhaps you should stick to discussing religion with your choir.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What may seem to you to be "trash talk" may be nothing more than part of the discussion and debate this site was designed to promote. Don't mistake a strong difference of opinion for trashing someone else's religious beliefs. It should be obvious that any difference of opinion could naturally include a strong disagreement with ones beliefs. And if you can't accept this perhaps you should just discuss religion with your choir.

The reason i started the OP was that i read a post of someone here who "trashtalked" a muslim in a very bad manner, and told more or less that this muslim was one a evil path. That made me think why would someone do somthing like that.

Hawkins

Why do you think some people need to trashtalk about other people belief in religion?

Simple, because some people prefer attacks under the cover of a debate. In certain forums the two are distinguished to facilitate more healthy discussions and debates.However in RF, well you should be prepared for anything.

ATTENTION - General Warning about the Religion Section

Note particularly the use of the term 'respectful debate' - attacks, insults, abuse, flamebaiting, trolling and thread derailment and disruption, religious slurs, are NOT 'respectful debate', and are NOT permitted.

Skwim

Veteran Member
The reason i started the OP was that i read a post of someone here who "trashtalked" a muslim in a very bad manner, and told more or less that this muslim was one a evil path. That made me think why would someone do somthing like that.
Boy, that happens all the time here, and if not openly, at least by implication. Most of us have learned to accept disparaging comments about our opinions and beliefs as part of the give-and-take. It's no big deal. Personally, if someone says says something extremely cruel about me or my beliefs I stop and ask myself, "Why am I caring what they think?" If they've given me no reason to respect their thoughts why should I care what they say? Now if, in fact, I have come to respect their opinions, I'd be far more likely to ask why they said what they did rather than take offense at it.

As for establishing such respect, I start out respecting every new member who joins RF. From there on out it's up to them to retain my respect. Some do. Some don't.

And don't mistake a challenge for an attack. I've found that most people who regard challenges as attacks are those who cannot meet the challenge.

Last edited:

dianaiad

Trash talking other's faith can be an effective defense mechanism. If the "trash talkee" takes offense (or their heads explode) then the "trash talker" can usually assume that the "trash talkee" really doesn't have much of a strong faith basis to begin with.

I'm sorry, but no.

I belong to a belief system that gets 'trash talked' a LOT. Evangelicals especially like to do that. there are anti-Mormon sites all over the internet devoted to nothing BUT 'trash talking' my beliefs....but you won't find Mormon sites out there trash talking anybody ELSE'S beliefs.

We have people who stand in front of our Temples and events who demonstrate against them, who turn up their loud speakers to drown out the events, who desecrate our religious symbols and make fun of them, who literally block the entrances to our meetings.

Shoot, one of 'em spent a fair amount of time at my husband's funeral sticking fuzzy paper pamphlets (you know the sort...red and black line drawings with great big bold font) saying 'the deceased is in hell and you will follow him if you don't leave the devil Mormon church!

............we all thought it was funny. I still have my copy. I don't think the pamphlet passer outer got the reaction he expected, but that didn't change his INTENT, now, did it?

The problem with 'trash talking,' is that it doesn't END there. People who 'trash talk' escalate to physical action...and some of it is considerably nastier than blocking entrances to meetings or very loud speakers. Some of it becomes mob murder, attempts to block a US senator from talking his seat BECAUSE OF HIS RELIGION, violence and discrimination of all types.

Do NOT assume that someone whose beliefs are being 'trash talked' don't have a strong belief to begin with. It would be better to assume that someone who objects to having his deeply held beliefs mocked, denigrated and 'trash talked' has a right to object to that level of disrespect and assininity, especially since it can, and does, so often lead to worse things.

Unless you think that "the Protocols of the Elders of Zion" or "Jews and their lies" is just dandy? This stuff ALWAYS leads to nasty things.

You don't need to be 'politically correct.' You DO need to pick the time, place, and treat the other guy the way you want your own opinions and beliefs to be treated.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

To the best of my understanding, a considerable part of it is difficulty in dealing with afterlife anxieties.

Another part is overreliance on authority. Different beliefs imply in challenge to that authority. Some people just can't deal with that.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I believe that all ways are equally good and have equal opportunities to find what you want. So I never feel the urge to "trashtalk" other religions or atheism etc.

Last edited:

Riders

The reason why I rated your post is funny,is because that there is actually no such thing as that at these forums.Go back and read the rules for this forum. Any trash talking of someone up here or personal remarks about any member or calling people names will get your thread removed,or post,they will remove it.

You are mistaking people sharing their views that oppose yours as attack and trash talk. Thats incorrect. Just try and toughen up.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The reason why I rated your post is funny,is because that there is actually no such thing as that at these forums.Go back and read the rules for this forum. Any trash talking of someone up here or personal remarks about any member or calling people names will get your thread removed,or post,they will remove it.

You are mistaking people sharing their views that oppose yours as attack and trash talk. Thats incorrect. Just try and toughen up.

The OP was not about me, i can handle the comments about me, but i found it to be strange to make comments directly of one person who is muslim. Maybe they deleted that, i do not know.

I dont hold negativity toward anyone in this forum

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think they do it because they feel threatened or because they need to feel superior to others.
I accept that. I understand that not everyone is going to believe the same. I believe that in the distant future there will be only one religion, but we are nowhere near that time yet.
I think we can be. The thing is that not everyone can BE 100% right because religions are not all the same and there are contradictions between them although there are also similarities.
I think that a religion can be right and other religions can also be right, but not as right as the one.

Of course, I think the right one is my religion or I would not belong to it. :) I do not see anything wrong with saying that because otherwise I would be dishonest.

dianaiad

Odd, I didn't see a specific mention of these forums in his OP. I certainly did not infer that he was talking only about these forums, at least.

Of course, if the only place one encounters opposition to one's beliefs and opinions is on these forums, one can consider oneself a very, very fortunate person. Indeed, I wish that 'real life' were a bit more like what is found here.

but it's not....and personally, I have a bit of a problem with people who figure that the problem regarding persecution, 'trash talk' (which is considerably more than mere disagreement or opposition to a pov, seems to me) etc., is all about the target of it not having a thick enough skin.

I mean, really. What's wrong with just....treating someone with whom you disagree with the same sort of logic, reason and respect one would want to be treated in turn? there are a lot of belief systems out there that I think are wrong, some are rather silly, and some downright weird.

Mine included, from someone else's POV, come to think of it....

But that's the point. None of us have a lock on weirdness in our opinions.

Riders

Odd, I didn't see a specific mention of these forums in his OP. I certainly did not infer that he was talking only about these forums, at least.

Of course, if the only place one encounters opposition to one's beliefs and opinions is on these forums, one can consider oneself a very, very fortunate person. Indeed, I wish that 'real life' were a bit more like what is found here.

but it's not....and personally, I have a bit of a problem with people who figure that the problem regarding persecution, 'trash talk' (which is considerably more than mere disagreement or opposition to a pov, seems to me) etc., is all about the target of it not having a thick enough skin.

I mean, really. What's wrong with just....treating someone with whom you disagree with the same sort of logic, reason and respect one would want to be treated in turn? there are a lot of belief systems out there that I think are wrong, some are rather silly, and some downright weird.

Mine included, from someone else's POV, come to think of it....

But that's the point. None of us have a lock on weirdness in our opinions.
I think its reasonable to believe when folks in this debate forums complain about treatment in debate forums they would be speaking of this forum.

If not why not place the complaint to the person or forum he is talking about. When you gripe and complain about debate forums in this debate forum people will think its about this forum .

But sense this is the only forum I am in what would be the actual point of me or anyone else giving any kind of a response at all in any way shape or form to this OP?

If he is speaking of a different forum,Uh I have no knowledge or experience of other forums or the one hes talking about works, if other arent on his other forum without experience or knowledge ofit I donot understand what anyone could say that would be of any help.