• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Different beliefs

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Thank you for sharing this with me :) Action like that warms my heart :) I am sure the little mouse is happy to regain his/her life because of your action :)
I just wanted you to know that your words affected my actions! I DID think about getting a mouse trap and letting nature take its course. Then, I saw it was even simpler to just take the whole thing outside.

What good is unbounded bliss if you cannot share it, eh? :D

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Why do you think some people need to trashtalk about other people belief in religion?
Why can we not accept that other may believe different then our self?
Can you be 100% our own belief is the right?
The importance of belief is heavily overrated. Your topic illustrates this.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Why do you think some people need to trashtalk about other people belief in religion?

Probably upbringing and experiences in some cases. Mistaking religious politics for religious beliefs. On that note, judging people's beliefs based on its politics. Some people just got into the habit of belittling other faiths (you jump, I jump). Others just dont care.

But they dont need to, of course. I just feel religion is such a hot topic its easy to target.

Because some people dont believe differences is good. Unless others are alike in foundation (oh.....you can believe in A, B, and C as long as you also believe in Y first and foremost)

Yes. I am 100% accurate just as the earth rotates around the sun. The difference is, I dont care about what other people believe. If its not affecting me, hurting me, others I care about, its not my personal concern. Some people are activist against beliefs that harm others. I share their sentiment but Im no activist.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That is true. But often i see specially Christians and Muslims "attacking" each others belief and does not talk good about each others.

What i think try to get out with my OP is, Not all Religious people do good or right all the time. But it is wrong to say example that all people from one religion is evil or wrong doers.
As a Buddhist i know i do something wrong every day, so i must try better my self :) But i do try not to correct others. But sometimes i fail in my way of saying it and i get corrected my self. and yes that can hurt sometimes. But it is a lesson learned
For me, it's all about action. The old adage 'Action speaks louder than words' is how I look at it. I don't really care what your beliefs are if you're a kind, honest, giving person that can respect others. There are so many sayings that reflect this. (Talk the talk, but not walk the walk.) So if you're saying your faith is a peaceful one, and then you go on arguing with people incessantly, you really don't believe. Then there are the overly simplistic people who just agree with everyone all the time. They will second any motion.

A forum isn't at all a sampling of real life. People who come to forums often aren't representative of their religions much. We need to go out into the world to see that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
How many people can go to a funeral and analyze the financial situation of the grieving, and if it seems rough, go to the funeral home, and give some money anonymously to help out in a time of need? How many people even think of stuff like that?

Axe Elf

Prophet
@AmanakiI look down into one of them and a silly little mouse has decided to go swimming. He cannot get back out though.

Grab the watering can, gingerly walk to the back door, and take it outside away from the house and set it down on its side. From the porch, I saw him scamper away and I thought of you! I knew you would like that. (It's still dark here right now. Cold and frosty too!)

I am sure the little mouse is happy to regain his/her life because of your action

If it's "cold and frosty" and the mouse was wet from "swimming," it probably died shortly thereafter of hypothermia anyway. Just sayin'...

To the point of the OP, I wouldn't disparage rational beliefs where there is legitimate room for a difference of opinion, but I do think that people have the responsibility to hold rational beliefs. Like if you believe in an omniscient God and still believe that you have free will, that's not rational; the two are mutually exclusive.

(I still wouldn't want to trash talk your beliefs, but I would be forced to, because of the absence of free will thing, you know?)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If it's "cold and frosty" and the mouse was wet from "swimming," it probably died shortly thereafter of hypothermia anyway. Just sayin'...
Oh, hush, you you! I just got Amanki calmed down for Pete's sake. :D

Trackdayguy

Speed doesn't kill, it's hitting the wall

Great question. I think it's because we all feel were right and others are wrong. It's back to our perception of absolute truth. It's my conviction that it's even harder for the evangelical christian who believes that Jesus is "the only way", because of their literal interpretation of selective Bible passages.

John 14:6

Once you believe youre right, then by definition everyone else must be wrong. I think religious fundamentalism produces intolerance = judgment.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
How many people can go to a funeral and analyze the financial situation of the grieving, and if it seems rough, go to the funeral home, and give some money anonymously to help out in a time of need? How many people even think of stuff like that?

Only if more us where like that.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

Any number of possibilities, including but not limited to:

• Poor Socialization. It's not uncommon for folks to exhibit deficiencies in social skills. These deficiencies typically begin in childhood, and often carry through to adulthood. Often these aren't really the fault of the child, they simply lacked role models and proper instruction in basic manners and social graces. As such, they think "trash talking" is acceptable, along with things like bullying, ethnic/racial slurs, and so on.
  • Personality Disorders. Even where proper socialization was present, some folks develop personality disorders that result in insensitivity to things most of us consider second nature. For example, anti-social personality disorder is characterized by a lack of empathy, which translates into a failure to process "trash talking" as harmful in the first place.
  • Topical Ignorance. It's not uncommon for folks to speak ill of things they poorly understand. Certainly, religions fall into the category of subjects that most have poor competency in. For my country, at least, there is basically no education about world religions in public education, which means ignorance is so pervasive I'd just about call it universal.
  • Prejudiced Agendas. Some folks want nothing more than to destroy what is different, perhaps because they perceive it as a threat to them or that which they value. For the most part, one can get away with "trash talking" as a way of undermining others. Wars waged with words are a common thing and the impact not to be underestimated.

Most of the above more or less applies, but also things like:

• Rigid Thinking. Some folks cannot process how different ways of life could work for someone else. They have their box that they think inside of (and to be fair, we all do) but they are incapable of thinking outside of it, even for a moment. Put another way, some folks cannot paradigm shift and set aside their pair of glasses to wear another one for a while.
  • Cultivating Ego. All folks need a healthy sense of self-worth, but sometimes this goes awry and results in folks "trash talking" other people's ways and habits to buttress their own. It's pretty common for folks to devalue the other to rationalize their own decision making processes and ways of life. Others, bad; me good!
  • Righteousness. There are also those folks who are just convinced that they are right. When combined with polarized either-or thinking, this transforms into not only being convinced one is right, but that others must be wrong. In such scenarios, there can be no accepting of different approaches, because they are wrong.

Sure. Few are better qualified to assess whether or not a particular ideology is suited for you than you. It's when one presumes that what is suited for you is also necessarily suited for everything else that issues tend to arise (because that line of thinking is frequently wrong).

Audie

Veteran Member
Great question. I think it's because we all feel were right and others are wrong. It's back to our perception of absolute truth. It's my conviction that it's even harder for the evangelical christian who believes that Jesus is "the only way", because of their literal interpretation of selective Bible passages.

John 14:6

Once you believe youre right, then by definition everyone else must be wrong. I think religious fundamentalism produces intolerance = judgment.

Who are "we"? The perception that there even
could be some "absolute truth" is a religious
conceit.

Two resesrchers or lawyers discussing what some
dara means dont go off the deep end like that!
"Absolute truth" is a false concept.

Oh, and that is not necessarily so that if "I am
right, you are wrong", outside of religion, at least.

The fundies are at the far end of the scale
i suppose, but would it not be more (absolutely
true :D) to leave off the qualifier about "fundamentalist"
and just say, "religions"?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Great question. I think it's because we all feel were right and others are wrong.

But we don't all feel we're right and others are wrong. That's projection of your own belief onto others. Lots of us just feel we have differing beliefs, and leave it at that. Yes, we do feel our own beliefs suit us, else we'd change them, but that doesn't imply that we think our beliefs suit everyone.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

That's the ideal - to see all belief systems as "beads on one string". We can have respectful discussions without trash talking.

The importance of belief is heavily overrated.

I don't really care what your beliefs are if you're a kind, honest, giving person that can respect others.

Those two go together. Especially now who we are in essence and how we manifest that in action is key.

dianaiad

Because they are idiots. Because they are afraid. Because they don't know the difference between teaching what THEY believe to be true and attempting to destroy what someone else does.

We should. We should ALSO be willing to teach what we believe to them, and to learn their beliefs FROM them. Then allow everyone to make up their own minds.

Good heavens no. Nobody is right about everything. Nobody is WRONG about everything, either. I haven't found a single belief system, even the most weird, nasty, violent or just plain strange that didn't have some truth in it, no matter how minuscule it might be. The trick is to find the belief system that has the most truth in it, and be willing to learn more as one lives and grows.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because they are idiots. Because they are afraid. Because they don't know the difference between teaching what THEY believe to be true and attempting to destroy what someone else does.

We should. We should ALSO be willing to teach what we believe to them, and to learn their beliefs FROM them. Then allow everyone to make up their own minds.

Good heavens no. Nobody is right about everything. Nobody is WRONG about everything, either. I haven't found a single belief system, even the most weird, nasty, violent or just plain strange that didn't have some truth in it, no matter how minuscule it might be. The trick is to find the belief system that has the most truth in it, and be willing to learn more as one lives and grows.

I really like the way you look at it :)

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Trash talking other's faith can be an effective defense mechanism. If the "trash talkee" takes offense (or their heads explode) then the "trash talker" can usually assume that the "trash talkee" really doesn't have much of a strong faith basis to begin with.

A Vestigial Mote

It is my opinion that there should be no "belief" unless there is sufficient reason and evidence for the belief to be held.

I understand that there may be some benefit to believers because without belief they are less able to cope with certain things mentally or emotionally. But the end result of holding beliefs solely based on their benefits, without concern for whether or not the belief has roots in reality is that you're going to be "correctness-deficient" much of the time. Incorrectness will be found in your speech, in your action and reaction, and in your attitude... and it is ridiculous to expect no one to react negatively if that ends up encroaching on their lives and livelihood... which is possible even when you merely assert things that you have no business asserting. You insult another person's intelligence (and very possibly more) with such things. And no... people do not need to just stand there and take it so that feelings are spared.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It is my opinion that there should be no "belief" unless there is sufficient reason and evidence for the belief to be held.

I understand that there may be some benefit to believers because without belief they are less able to cope with certain things mentally or emotionally. But the end result of holding beliefs solely based on their benefits, without concern for whether or not the belief has roots in reality is that you're going to be wrong much of the time. Wrong in speech, wrong in action and reaction, wrong in attitude... and it is ridiculous to expect no one to react negatively when that encroaches on their lives and livelihood.

Is it still a belief system if there are 100% evidence to it? No then it become science. And no science is not wrong path, but if we need to prove everything that occure, then does it lead to an answer when sometimes things contradict each other?

I dont say you are wrong in your way of thinking, But for a person who are a believer it look different then for one who need solid proves for everything.

Buddha said one time, if you find flaw in my teaching then don`t follow it (the teaching) and i have had times in my study where i thought to my self, No this can not be true or right, But then after a lot of philosophical thinking i come to the conclution well Buddha was right all along :)

Religious belief is a lot of philosophy too