• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Different beliefs. What sets one above, better, more acceptable/believable than the other

We Never Know

No Slack
Whether your belief is....
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

It all goes back and starts from one person. What sets your belief apart from the others? Was it just a personal choice, understanding, etc. or something else.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

It all goes back and starts from one person. What sets your belief above the others? Was it just a personal choice, understanding, etc. or something else.
there is no belief that is above another. they are all beliefs, fantasy. they are only relevant when they can be actually/realistically experienced and then they are knowledge and not beliefs.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

It all goes back and starts from one person. What sets your belief above the others? Was it just a personal choice, understanding, etc. or something else.
I do not see my belief in Sufism as above others. They may be different but we all try to find the answer to very similar issues. It is just different forms of teaching.
It is a personal choice what path each person end up in (in my view)

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

Depends on the religion you're comparing it to. I find mainly religions to be nihilistic and negative, including a lot of mainstream ones. I certainly view my path as above those.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

I don't see my faith above others, nor do I see my faith as the "one true faith" or something like that. But my faith works for me, where others have their faith that works for them

And if you meant "why I picked the one I did", then it was simple for me. From age 10, I could not accept that Jesus was the only savior for all humans. I even made a good case at that age to my mother, who believed this way. And this never changed in the years afterwards.

So, when I went to India to see Rajneesh and India, but upon arriving found out that this was not my 'place', I was "called" by a Master and I went straight there. Though I had a horrible time, being sick, I could feel that what He said is true. Very humane and humble, never belittle faith (or lack thereof) of others. It felt like a dream come through finally after so many years. I finally found what I did not see elsewhere before. So, after 2 decades of being with my Master, I have no doubts, nor any questions anymore. No need to search elsewhere for something else/better.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I join the chorus of those who say my beliefs are not 'above' others and that includes the non-belief of atheists.

At the root, we have the same goal whether it be expressed as God, Truth, Joy. Beauty or Light.

It's expressed in song as:

"Life is a rainbow
and every color
is precious in love's light.

Every color
is a ray
of love's pure light"

Vee

Premium Member
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

I wouldn't' t use the word "above" since that could be deemed insulting by some. Why would I choose one belief instead of other? For me it's a matter of what value does it add to my life.

We Never Know

No Slack
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

I somewhat fixed the thread title. Hope that's helps.

However no matter what you believe, follow, except.... It all goes back and starts from one person. What sets that person in your belief apart from the others?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Judaism
Christianity
Hinduism
Buddhism
Islam
Etc

In general, what sets a "belief" above another is reasonable evidence in support of it.

Religion tends to require "faith", which is what you need to believe something when there is no evidence...

So, from where I sit, they are all on the same footing of how "good" they are. Which is "not good at all", since none are supported by reasonable evidence.

We Never Know

No Slack
In general, what sets a "belief" above another is reasonable evidence in support of it.

Religion tends to require "faith", which is what you need to believe something when there is no evidence...

So, from where I sit, they are all on the same footing of how "good" they are. Which is "not good at all", since none are supported by reasonable evidence.

So do you think christianity, buddhism, judaism, baha'i, hinduism, any religion that requires belief and faith are all an the same pot and are not good at all?

There is no evidence for this belief.

Ideologies, including the secular humanistic 'Rationalist' ones are simply fictions designed to support subject value preferences taken as being axiomatically true.

Humanists tend to favour some form of consequentialist/utilitarian ethics anyway, in which case why should 'relative truth value' even really matter?

It seems like an irrational point of principle akin to a religious tenet in this context.

...What sets your belief apart from the others? ...

I think Christianity and Judaism is basically the same, if Christianity means believing what the Bible tells. And to me Bible God is different in that, He seems to be the only God who has something to say to us, only one who tells correctly what happens in future and only one who cares what people do.

alypius

t all goes back and starts from one person. What sets your belief apart from the others? Was it just a personal choice, understanding, etc. or something else.

Wouldn't a belief be a better candidate for acceptance if were true in contrast to another belief which is false?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
There is no evidence for this belief.

It's not a belief.
It's a self evident fact.

When it comes to determine how accurate a certain belief is, one has to necessarily verify its accuracy with respect to observable reality. Since "accurate" in this case means how well it reflects reality.

The data that shows how well a claim reflects reality, which can come in many different forms, is called "evidence".

So when there is no evidence, when there is no way to verify a claim against observable reality, then right of the bat - pretty much by definition of these words - believing said claim (which means: to accept as accurate), can not be reasonable / good.

How do you conclude which belief is better (in reflecting actual reality), if not by comparing and evaluating the supporting evidence? And how do you do that, if there is no evidence?

Ideologies, including the secular humanistic 'Rationalist' ones are simply fictions designed to support subject value preferences taken as being axiomatically true.

False equivocation.
We're talking about religions. The belief that (supernatural) entities and / or forces exist. These are beliefs about reality, how it works, what actually exists and doesn't exist... Whereas secular humanism are worldviews concerning on how best to organize society and to provide a moral framework.

Humanists tend to favour some form of consequentialist/utilitarian ethics anyway, in which case why should 'relative truth value' even really matter?

It seems like an irrational point of principle akin to a religious tenet in this context.

Again, humanism has no part in this.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I don't think this is nearly as true as it once was. The internet has allowed many folks, especially young ones, to explore the religious world.

They still get indoctrinated into the faith of their parents long before they even know what the internet is.

Yes, it surely exposes adolescents a lot easier and faster to other worldviews then it used to be.
Nevertheless, the extremely vast majority sticks to the religion they were brought up with.