• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences

Merlin

Has anyone ever studied the real doctrinal differences between the various Christian sects? Are they just differences in the forms of worship, or are there any real differences in beliefs?

Fluffy

A fool
Yes. At least I have studied the main division lines. There is substantially more of a difference between the Quakers and the Eastern Orthodox than the English Anglican Church and the American Anglican Church, obviously. So to answer your question, it varies according to which denominations you compare.

Some of the differences between Protestantism and Catholicism include, 'Sola Scriptura', 'Sola fide', transubstantiation, language of the Bible, Papal/Country supremacy etc.

nutshell

I think it's a combination of different forms of worship and different beliefs. For example, all Christian sects (I assume) worship God, but the sects may differ in their belief of the Trinity (is God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost one being or are they three distinct beings with one purpose?).

Merlin

nutshell said:
I think it's a combination of different forms of worship and different beliefs. For example, all Christian sects (I assume) worship God, but the sects may differ in their belief of the Trinity (is God, Christ, and the Holy Ghost one being or are they three distinct beings with one purpose?).
Does anyone think God cares about these minor differences?

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Personally I do not think He does, as long as they all do the way of the LORD, follow Him and believe in Him.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Malus01 said:
Personally I do not think He does, as long as they all do the way of the LORD, follow Him and believe in Him.
Thanks Malus; that actually helped me.;)

nutshell

Merlin said:
Does anyone think God cares about these minor differences?
I think he does. In the Bible he teaches that one must do certain things to reach the Kingdom of God (faith, repent, be baptized, receive the holy ghost, love one another, pay tithing, 10 commandments, etc.) Some of these are ordinances that must be performed by the laying on of hands by one who has authority.

jonny

There is also the question of Faith and Works. Some Christian sects believe that only faith is necessary to be saved. Others believe that we will be judged on what we do with this faith.

Merlin

nutshell said:
I think he does. In the Bible he teaches that one must do certain things to reach the Kingdom of God (faith, repent, be baptized, receive the holy ghost, love one another, pay tithing, 10 commandments, etc.) Some of these are ordinances that must be performed by the laying on of hands by one who has authority.
Who gives that authority, and why would an omnipotent God want such trivial things as laying on of hands?

jonny

Merlin said:
Who gives that authority, and why would an omnipotent God want such trivial things as laying on of hands?
Why wouldn't he? I believe in a God who has "order in all things."

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Merlin said:
You consider the laying on of hands as "trivial"? Why? You think God wouldn't care who exercises His power? Why? We're talking about God's authority, not man's. It belongs to Him. Do you really think He is unconcerned with how it is used? Obviously, Jesus felt it necessary to ordain specific individuals and to give them power and authority. What reason do you have for thinking this same power and authority is not needed today?

Mark 3:14-15 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, and to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils

Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you and ordained you.

Acts 6:5-6 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.

Titus 1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, andordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

Hebrews 8:3 For every high priest isordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

Hebrews 5:4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.

Merlin

Katzpur said:
You consider the laying on of hands as "trivial"? Why? You think God wouldn't care who exercises His power? Why? We're talking about God's authority, not man's. It belongs to Him. Do you really think He is unconcerned with how it is used? Obviously, Jesus felt it necessary to ordain specific individuals and to give them power and authority. What reason do you have for thinking this same power and authority is not needed today?

Mark 3:14-15 And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach, and to have power to heal sicknesses, and to cast out devils

Luke 9:1 Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases.

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you and ordained you.

Acts 6:5-6 And the saying pleased the whole multitude: and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and of the Holy Ghost, and Philip, and Prochorus, and Nicanor, and Timon, and Parmenas, and Nicolas a proselyte of Antioch: whom they set before the apostles: and when they had prayed, they laid their hands on them.

Titus 1:5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, andordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

Hebrews 8:3 For every high priest isordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

Hebrews 5:4 And no man taketh this honour unto himself, but he that is called of God, as was Aaron.
No where in you quotes does it say "you need to have another human hand 'laid on' to guide you through certain rituals before you can fully enter heaven". Who thought that one up?

To be fair, the Jewish faith preaches that also. Ritual is king.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Merlin said:
No where in you quotes does it say "you need to have another human hand 'laid on' to guide you through certain rituals before you can fully enter heaven". Who thought that one up?

To be fair, the Jewish faith preaches that also. Ritual is king.
Merlin,

First of all, I'm not sure we're even talking about the same thing when we refer to "the laying on of hands." Perhaps you could tell me what you believe it means. I believe that this is how an individual is given the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 8:17-19 explains it pretty well:

"Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost. And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles' hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost."

Peter then explained to Simon that the power of the laying on of hands is not something that money can buy but is something given my God.

As to who "thought it up," the answer would be: God.

Again, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you talk about "fully entering heaven." I believe that the vast majority of the human race will enter heaven, and will receive a portion of God's glory, as compared by Paul to the glories of the sun, the moon and the stars. I would be the last person on earth to attempt to second-guess God as to whom He's going to allow into Heaven. But Jesus did say that He will reward men "according to their works." What do you think He meant? If Heaven is going to be exactly the same for everyone who goes there, how are we being rewarded according to our works.

In refering to the "rituals" that you evidently believe to be worthless, you are right in pointing out that they are not described in the Bible. But do some research into the esoteric teachings of the early Church and you may discover that there were, in fact, teachings that were not known to all Christians, but which were known to those who were spiritually ready to receive them. So just because you are unaware of them, you really shouldn't just casually dismiss them.

Finally, no one in my Church believes that "Ritual is King." That's pure nonsense.

Kowalski

michel said:
Thanks Malus; that actually helped me.;)
He ? :tsk: god is neither male or female, god is not anything you see or visulise. God is the spirit that moves the laws of the universe.

Cheers

K

Merlin

Katzpur said:
Merlin,

In refering to the "rituals" that you evidently believe to be worthless, you are right in pointing out that they are not described in the Bible. But do some research into the esoteric teachings of the early Church and you may discover that there were, in fact, teachings that were not known to all Christians, but which were known to those who were spiritually ready to receive them. So just because you are unaware of them, you really shouldn't just casually dismiss them.
Can we see these please?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Merlin said:
Has anyone ever studied the real doctrinal differences between the various Christian sects? Are they just differences in the forms of worship, or are there any real differences in beliefs?
Well the differences in beliefs between Orthodoxy and the vast majority of western Christian groups is vast, particularly if Orthodoxy is compared to the more low church Protestant denominations. There's also a huge difference in worship, but the doctrinal differences require a completely different mindset, and I say this as an ex-Lutheran who converted to Orthodoxy. If you have any specific differences you're interested in then please let me know and I'll be happy to try to explain.

James

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
Kowalski said:
He ? :tsk: god is neither male or female, god is not anything you see or visulise. God is the spirit that moves the laws of the universe.
Well, many call Him "Him", I was just following on, might have been a flame war had I called God "it".;)