• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences (Religious/Spiritual only)

Sundance

Premium Member
Before anyone asks, I'm not defining "Truth", iykyk.

As religious persons, could it be that we are all just looking at Truth, from different angles? That none of us has all the answers, but we are all sharing a part of the puzzle.

If so, what does that mean for the myriad of different Spiritualities and religions there are? Should they not all be cherished? (Obviously, if you disagree with my initial assertion then maybe, maybe not.).

I would fully agree with you, dude. Different religions and philosophies can give us different perspectives on Reality. And, indeed, they are all worth cherishing.

The way I look at it, different religions are like different subjects in school. You’ve got your Art, your Music, Phys Ed, your Science, your English. Different people are drawn to different subjects according to their own strengths or preferences, but a knowledge of all of them makes your education complete and more well-rounded. In my own experiences, I’ve had the blessing of talking to and learning from books and followers of all different kinds of religions. Yes, there are differences in how we understand the nature of the Divine or the Afterlife or other things, but even our different understandings and interpretations allowed me an access into a greater knowledge of things insofar as my human nature permits.

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Before anyone asks, I'm not defining "Truth", iykyk.

As religious persons, could it be that we are all just looking at Truth, from different angles? That none of us has all the answers, but we are all sharing a part of the puzzle.

If so, what does that mean for the myriad of different Spiritualities and religions there are? Should they not all be cherished? (Obviously, if you disagree with my initial assertion then maybe, maybe not.).
religions tend to be about organization. Controlling the dogma, rituals, the appearance. Spiritual is less structured and more about mental well being. No exact dogma, no rituals per se, no exact costume. The Seeker is seeking something beyond religion. Something that always existed before even religions were created. Something that is generally beyond religion's grasp. Love

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
religions tend to be about organization. Controlling the dogma, rituals, the appearance. Spiritual is less structured and more about mental well being. No exact dogma, no rituals per se, no exact costume. The Seeker is seeking something beyond religion. Something that always existed before even religions were created. Something that is generally beyond religion's grasp. Love

You had me until the end.

Edit: I prefer Happiness as a unifying ideal, over love.

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Doctrines that propagate greed, hatred, and/or delusion should be rejected as causing long-term harm. Once you remove these poisons, there is likely something there worthwhile.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Outside of a few that are mentally ill. That enjoyment is a false one. And not actual happiness imo.

People hurt others "out of love" as well.
No, Love doesn't harm. Service to self only love self. Which is immature and can't relate to other as self. Everyone wants to be loved. Everyone isn't loving towards all as self. That is why they don't mind harming other as self.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
No, Love doesn't harm. Service to self only love self. Which is immature and can't relate to other as self. Everyone wants to be loved. Everyone isn't loving towards all as self. That is why they don't mind harming other as self.

You are still qualifying "love" the way it "should be", just as I am "happiness".

Happiness and love can both be used as, and the source of, causing harm to another. (Ask anyone on the receiving end of a overly controlling parent for instance.)

We want love to be perfect, just as we want happiness to be as well. But both are almost always far from it.

Edit: You say "love other as self" and I say "show others happiness of Self (no I/Other distinction here)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You are still qualifying "love" the way it "should be", just as I am "happiness".

Happiness and love can both be used as, and the source of, causing harm to another. (Ask anyone on the receiving end of a overly controlling parent for instance.)

We want love to be perfect, just as we want happiness to be as well. But both are almost always far from it.
Those who love fully want happiness for all.

A child, psychologically immature person, might claim love while abusing or neglecting others but grown healthy adults know better. Happiness/unhappiness is fleeting. Love endures even when happiness may not be present due to suffering from disease or harm.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Those who love fully want happiness for all.

A child, psychologically immature person, might claim love while abusing or neglecting others but grown healthy adults know better. Happiness/unhappiness is fleeting. Love endures even when happiness may not be present due to suffering from disease or harm.

I find very few grown adults around then, by your definition. So I'll say that it's an extremely uncommon thing. Other than that I'll agree to disagree with your Philisophical approach.

I prefer Hospitality. A welcomeness of All, guest, visitor or stranger.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I find very few grown adults around then, by your definition. So I'll say that it's an extremely uncommon thing. Other than that I'll agree to disagree with your Philisophical approach.
There are people who abuse. Either self or others, sometimes both. The lack of love leads to harm of someone.

Isn't rocket science. Doesn't matter what people philosophy. It's how they behave toward self or other as self.

People will say all kinds of things. But watch what they do to self and other as self.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Isn't rocket science. Doesn't matter what people philosophy. It's how they behave toward self or other as self.

People will say all kinds of things. But watch what they do to sel and other as self.

Hospitality
Honor
Integrity

No love for all needed.