• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences (Religious/Spiritual only)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Before anyone asks, I'm not defining "Truth", iykyk.

As religious persons, could it be that we are all just looking at Truth, from different angles? That none of us has all the answers, but we are all sharing a part of the puzzle.

If so, what does that mean for the myriad of different Spiritualities and religions there are? Should they not all be cherished? (Obviously, if you disagree with my initial assertion then maybe, maybe not.).

We Never Know

No Slack

As religious persons, could it be that we are all just looking at Truth, from different angles? That none of us has all the answers, but we are all sharing a part of the puzzle.

If so, what does that mean for the myriad of different Spiritualities and religions there are? Should they not all be cherished? (Obviously, if you disagree with my initial assertion then maybe, maybe not.).

Most everyone thinks their religion is right. If only one is right then the others are wrong.
Or as you say "everyone is sharing a part of the puzzle"

We Never Know

No Slack
That doesn't mean one is right and the other is wrong imo.

Also, no, afaik it is not "most" that think that. Just "most" Abrahamics.

My reply of "Or as you say "everyone is sharing a part of the puzzle" wasn't implying the others are wrong.
I was agreeing with you that they all might be partly right(part of the puzzle)

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yes indeed, truth is relative to our own nature, nurture and learnt perceptions.

Bahaullah offered this about all the Messengers behind all the God given Faiths.

".... Nay, whatsoever proceedeth from these Mines of divine Wisdom and these Treasuries of eternal knowledge is truth, and naught else but the truth. The saying: “Knowledge is one point, which the foolish have multiplied” is a proof of Our argument, and the tradition: “Knowledge is a light which God sheddeth into the heart of whomsoever He willeth” a confirmation of Our statement...."

-Bahá'u'lláh, The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 182-185

Regards Tony

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My reply of "Or as you say "everyone is sharing a part of the puzzle" wasn't implying the others are wrong.
I was agreeing with you that they all might be partly right(part of the puzzle)

Gotcha! That makes more sense. I was confused it seems.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member

I lean toward the view that we look at Truth from angles/traditions that are formed by Truth masquerading as Myth. Additionally, I think each angle/tradition may actually have all the answers that its own adherents need.

I think genuine traditions that originate from Truth should obviously be cherished. Other traditions may originate from elsewhere. They could be anything from harmless to asuric.

I have not put a very great deal of thought into this, by the way.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

It's not the beliefs that matter, it's the spiritual progress one makes. Everyone will find what works best for them, or they won't...

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

It could also be that we're not viewing it from different angles, but we're only seeing specific parts. A plumber, a carpenter, and an electrician all have parts to play in building a house, but remain largely unaware what the others are doing.

I, for one, have absolutely no idea. My ideas could be right, but may be way off. To presume you understand how another thinks or feels is kind of off. The other day myself and 2 friends were looking at the variations and varieties of roses (hardy) where I landscape. I mentioned which one had the strongest scent thinking I 'knew it all'. Neither of my friends could get the scent of that rose, yet it was overwhelming to me.

Do you smell what I smell? From genes to receptors to perception: Olfaction unraveled

Truth in love

Too a degree yes. I think that there is much truth in many places. We have a human element which means there is also error.

Bree

Perhaps the differences are there to confuse and divide us.

Maybe even more sinister then that, the differences are purposely devised to keep us from the truth.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Perhaps the differences are there to confuse and divide us.

Maybe even more sinister then that, the differences are purposely devised to keep us from the truth.

I think the differences are there to keep us searching. For once we've found what we've been searching there is no more reason to be.

It keeps us moving forward imo. Divine Multiplicity.

Bree

I think the differences are there to keep us searching. For once we've found what we've been searching there is no more reason to be.

It keeps us moving forward imo. Divine Multiplicity.

but how does one know when they have found 'truth'

There are hundreds of thousands of different religions and sects and offshoots .... never in a persons lifetime could they search thru each one of them.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
but how does one know when they have found 'truth'

This is why I said iykyk. This wasn't part of the discussion imv.

There are hundreds of thousands of different religions and sects and offshoots .... never in a persons lifetime could they search thru each one of them.

Take what works, leave the rest. Each person's relationship with the Deity or Deities is an individual affair, and isn't reliant on any one religions dogma.

Last edited: