• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences between 'Seventh Day Adventist, and Jehovas Witnesses.

David1967

Premium Member
I would like some insight on the main differences between the doctrine of the Seventh Day Adventists and the Jehovas Witnesses. I know more about JW doctrine than SDA doctrine thanks to my JW friends here on RF namely @Deeje . From what little I know of the SDA there seem to be quit a few similarities. I would love to get some information regarding this subject.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
SDA is basically Protestant with the exception of observing the Sabbath, as per Jewish tradition. What differentiates SDA from other religions is the founders health message and emphasis on healthy diet and vegetarianism as well as being anti smoking and anti drugs and alcohol. They are pretty much literalist with regards the scripture, but do not believe in the soul but rather the dead know nothing till they are reconstructed by God at the resurrection, this is in common with the JW belief on this.

The SDA religion was founded by a woman, Ellen G White, who claimed to be a prophet, and wrote extensively as well as having visions, for ages SDA teaching included her works as well as the Bible, some years ago it turned out she had plagiarized large segments of her books, and her divine nature was called into question by many in the church, it almost killed the church, and today you see much less emphasis on her teachings, and more on just the bible, still 50% of SDAs are vegetarian, and 50% eat meat but follow the Jewish concept of clean and unclean, they will not eat pork etc. Still you won't find hardly any smoking and drinking Adventists, much as with JWs I think.

Last edited:

Lyndon

Premium Member
unlike JW, SDAs are not an especially right wing conservative type of evangelical church, they have a lot of scientists and doctors that do no necessarily accept a 6000 yr age to the earth, they have major Universities and Medical centres, certainly do not have anything against blood transfusions, have just as many Democrats as Republicans among their members, a lot of mission work in third world countries, especially Africa and the South Pacific, in this respect they have more in common with Mormon mission programme.

The more liberal churches welcome LGBT members, and not all SDAs oppose gay marriage, they have a long history of accepting diversity of races, a lot of minority members, but the conservative leadership still hasn't given women the right to be ministers, even though the majority of North American members support this, the hardcore opposition to this came largely from Africa and the Third world, they had a vote on it and women ministers was defeated but not by a large number. In Liberal states like California you will see women preaching the sermon, but in the capacity as unordained ministers.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
unlike JW, SDAs are not an especially right wing conservative type of evangelical church, they have a lot of scientists and doctors that do no necessarily accept a 6000 yr age to the earth, they have major Universities and Medical centres, certainly do not have anything against blood transfusions, have just as many Democrats as Republicans among their members, a lot of mission work in third world countries, especially Africa and the South Pacific, in this respect they have more in common with Mormon mission programme

Thanks for your input Lyndon.

Lyndon

Premium Member
PS I was raised SDA and my whole family is SDA, my uncle who now lives near me was the editor of the churches Review and Herald newsletter, considered one of the most powerful positions in the church, my grandfathers were both SDA ministers, Uncles, cousins too, its a little crazy

PPS I edited and added to the post you quoted David, you might want to re read it.

Last edited:

Lyndon

Premium Member
JW and SDA are fairly close on Biblical prophecy like Daniel and Revelation, in that they try to make sense of it, Daniel I can see, but Revelation just seems like one big hallucination to me!!

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@David1967 thanks to @Lyndon for his information on SDA's.

I guess the main differences would be....

1) Observance of the Sabbath, since we see no directive for Gentile Christians to observe what was essentially a Jewish law. It was not included in the "necessary things" listed for them. (Acts15:28-29)

2) We will remain politically neutral which means we will not vote in elections and have no political aspirations or affiliations, seeing the political world as being under the control of the devil (1 John 5:19)

3) We don't dictate dietary requirements except for what is stated in the Bible. We can choose whatever is acceptable to ourselves without judging one another. There is no prohibition on eating meat, just as long as the animal is humanely killed and properly bled. (Genesis 9:3-4) And since gluttony is an indication of loss of self control, we would not want to consume any sort of food in a greedy fashion.
We can drink alcohol but never to the point of drunkenness. All things in moderation is a good motto.
We do not smoke or deliberately damage our health with illicit drugs, but are all free to choose whatever health regime is appropriate for Christians where we live, being careful to avoid spiritistic practices that accompany some alternative health regimes.

4) We have no "founder" as a prophet or with any special gifts. There was a group of men in the late 1800's who came together from several religious denominations, who all recognised that Christendom was not teaching what Christ did. They set out on a quest for Biblical truth by examining every doctrine of the church in light of the scriptures. One by one the doctrines that were introduced early in church history were tested and eliminated. Charles Taze Russell was the group's spokesman and financier, dedicating his life to finding the truth. His expose' of Christendom's doctrines gained him many enemies. His public debates with prominent clergy demonstrated that he could back up everything he said with scripture. People sat up and took notice and a groundswell of interest began.

Consequently, we see ourselves as no part of Christendom at all, having no core doctrines in common with them.

5) JW's are known for their preaching work, which was a commission from the Christ. We see no way to call ourselves Christians and yet neglect a direct command from our Lord. People's lives depended on it. (Matthew 28:19-20) The good news of the Kingdom had to be 'preached in all the world for a witness to all the nations' before the end of the present age. (Matthew 24:14) Jesus said it would be done with his backing and we see no other Christian group preaching, not just in overseas missionary work, but in our own neighborhoods. Everyone was to be given opportunity to hear the message and to make choices.

6) We will not tolerate homosexuality in our ranks. This is against God's law and there is no way to excuse or to justify SSM among our members. This makes us unpopular with many in today's world, but we will not tolerate immorality no matter the gender.
We have gay people in our congregations, but they are celibate. This is their sacrifice to God in obedience to his laws. Sexual orientation is not a choice, but immoral sexual activity is.

7) We have no "clergy". The "shepherds" in our congregations are always male, because in God's headship arrangement, women play a support role, not a leadership role. We are very happy with this arrangement so there are no women sitting in our Kingdom Halls with aspirations of becoming shepherds. We have a body of elders, rather than just one "pastor". No one man gets to make choices for the flock. The "body" act collectively to ensure unity and peace with the global brotherhood. We all believe the same things and worship the same way.

All of Jehovah' Witnesses are "ministers" in the sense that all are under obligation to preach and to teach as Jesus commanded. So no one is left feeling that they want to be anything other than what they are...."Christians" fulfilling the roles assigned to them from God. Males teach in the congregation, whilst women teach in their public ministry.

8) Our approach to Bible prophesy is that we take it very seriously. Prophesy is a fascinating topic as we see it unfolding with more understanding of its features as time goes on. (Proverbs 4:18) It is only ever confirmed with the benefit of hindsight, however.

We see ourselves as being deep into "the time of the end" spoken about by Daniel and reconfirmed in John's Revelation. The features of the sign Jesus gave to indicate that he was ruling, we believe is very evident. (Matthew 24:3-14)
The lid is being lifted on how corrupt this world system really is, greedily exploiting people's ignorance and carefully managing their perceptions about everything to fool them into supporting a system that is dedicated to milking them of their money, their health and their spirituality.....it is a complete mess!

The good news is....we believe that God is going to bring it all to its foretold and anticipated conclusion. We understand that what God began in Eden was derailed by an abuse of free will.....God responded by allowing humans to experience the full consequences of their actions and to see for themselves that life without God results in the world we have now. It doesn't work because everyone is looking out for themselves. Love is dead, and selfish concerns drive everything. This world has to go so that God's will can be done "on earth as it is in heaven".

That is the basics of it I think. Feel free to ask any questions. :)

whirlingmerc

I would like some insight on the main differences between the doctrine of the Seventh Day Adventists and the Jehovas Witnesses. I know more about JW doctrine than SDA doctrine thanks to my JW friends here on RF namely @Deeje . From what little I know of the SDA there seem to be quit a few similarities. I would love to get some information regarding this subject.

Russel, the founder of the Jehovah's witnesses started as a bible study leader of a splinter group of the 7th day Adventists. So they share some ideas, like Michael the Archangel being Jesus and soul sleep and if you aren't saved they both believe in anhialation

7th day adventists would believe in the trinity, JW would not
7th day adventist worship on a Saturday Sabbath, JW a Sunday Lord's day

David1967

Premium Member
Russel, the founder of the Jehovah's witnesses started as a bible study leader of a splinter group of the 7th day Adventists. So they share some ideas, like Michael the Archangel being Jesus and soul sleep and if you aren't saved they both believe in anhialation

Thank you. I was not aware that the 7th day Adventists were Trinitarian.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Jehovah's Witnesses don't have a particular day to worship. They have meetings on any day of the week.

Their weekend meetings in some places is held on a Sunday, since most of the public have that day to themselves - making it convenient to attend and listen to a public discourse. However, in some cases, these meetings are also held on Saturdays.
The weekday meetings are held on any evening (after work hours for most businesses) in the week - by each congregation.

They are scientist, and doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc., and they do not believe in 24 hour, six day creation. So they don't hold to a particular period of time for the creation, and existence of the earth, or universe.

whirlingmerc

Yes it was not strongly taught initially and appeared around 1930 and adopted officially around 1980 ... so not sure how you would take that?
see http://www.trinitytruth.org/isthetrinityinthebible.html