• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences between Quakers and Unitarians

Hello – I'm a Unitarian from the UK.

In the UK, it's generally accepted (amongst people interested in this sort of thing) that the only real difference between the Quakers and the Unitarians here is the way in which the service/worship is conducted – Quakers sit in a circle in silence until someone feels compelled to speak, whilst Unitarians follow a more traditional low-church Protestant service, with a minister, hymns, readings, prayers and a sermon etc. However, it's often said that the beliefs of both denominations are extremely similar, and that a Unitarian would ethically and theologically fit in well with the Quakers and vice versa – the only problems that either groups may have is preference for a different sort of worship style. This can be confirmed by reading and comparing the websites of the British Quakers and Unitarians:
www.quaker.org.uk
www.unitarian.org.uk

Because of this, I was somewhat dismayed to find that Unitarians are not listed on here as a Christian denomination, whilst Quakers are.

Through reading on the internet (I even started a thread about this before), I've come to the conclusion that there are a number of differences between the British Unitarians and the American Unitarian-Universalists. So what I was wondering, are there many differences (other than worship style) between the Quakers and the Unitarian(-Universalist)s in America?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
In the US, Unitarian Universalism is the most well known of the Unitarians, but there are Biblical Unitarians as well. I can't speak of their differences with the Quakers, other than traditions. The difference with Quakers and UUs is that Quakers are more Bible-centered, and UUs have moved into a more all incompassing religion that is not based on Christianity anymore, even though that's where it's roots is.

Quakers are generally considered Christian, whereas UUs even by their own admission, are not. Other than that, UUs and Quakers do get along well, and share many of the same ideals.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
hartlandcat said:
Hello – I'm a Unitarian from the UK.

In the UK, it's generally accepted (amongst people interested in this sort of thing) that the only real difference between the Quakers and the Unitarians here is the way in which the service/worship is conducted – Quakers sit in a circle in silence until someone feels compelled to speak, whilst Unitarians follow a more traditional low-church Protestant service, with a minister, hymns, readings, prayers and a sermon etc. However, it's often said that the beliefs of both denominations are extremely similar, and that a Unitarian would ethically and theologically fit in well with the Quakers and vice versa – the only problems that either groups may have is preference for a different sort of worship style. This can be confirmed by reading and comparing the websites of the British Quakers and Unitarians:
www.quaker.org.uk
www.unitarian.org.uk

Because of this, I was somewhat dismayed to find that Unitarians are not listed on here as a Christian denomination, whilst Quakers are.

Through reading on the internet (I even started a thread about this before), I've come to the conclusion that there are a number of differences between the British Unitarians and the American Unitarian-Universalists. So what I was wondering, are there many differences (other than worship style) between the Quakers and the Unitarian(-Universalist)s in America?

Aside from what I covered here, in What makes a Quaker a Quaker?, yes, style of worship is also a difference between Quakers, and the aforementioned Unitarians, and Unitarian Universalists. Unlike most Protestant services, a traditional Quaker service is unprogrammed, meaning, there are no clergy (hence 'priesthood of all [believers]'). Members site together in silence waiting upon the Inner Light, Holy Spirit, etc., to speak to them, at which time they may stand and share their 'revelation.' This is also called 'expectant waiting.'

Jensen

The quaker I know believes just about the same as a lutheran or other orthodox churches, including the trinity, and has church organization the same way as any orthodox christian church, with regular services, ministers, and sunday schools. From what I've seen, with him anyway, is no difference except keeping the name Quaker. Is this a true Quaker? or is it only that he thinks he is one? while there is no actual similarity?

Jensen

Jensen

Christian Unitarians are Christians that believe in One God, and not in the trinity.

UUs are not the same here in America.

Jensen