• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Differences between Lucifer and Satan

Truls

Thinker
Hi, I've become mildly interested in Luciferianism recently and I was wondering how you approach the comparison between Lucifer and Satan. Do you consider them separate beings completely or do you believe that they are the same person and Lucifer's independence from God simply justifies his other satanic acts?

Also what is the generally held description of Lucifer, what are his redeeming qualities? He's not as well defined as Jesus so I wonder where the canon comes from on him.

OnTheLastDay

amo lux lucis ut atrum
Hi, I've become mildly interested in Luciferianism recently and I was wondering how you approach the comparison between Lucifer and Satan. Do you consider them separate beings completely or do you believe that they are the same person and Lucifer's independence from God simply justifies his other satanic acts?

Also what is the generally held description of Lucifer, what are his redeeming qualities? He's not as well defined as Jesus so I wonder where the canon comes from on him.

Well... I consider them separate beings, because Lucifer is known as the light bearer/bringer, and Satan is the Adversary. Both of them rebelled against Jahova, Satan was kind of like Lucifers second in command, if you know what i mean :).

Lucifer is the first son of Jahova, which makes him Jesus' older brother. He fell from heaven when he rebelled against Jahova. To me he is the symbol of rebellion, wisdom, intellect and individual thinking.

Shaiva

Shaiva
I would say Lucifer and Satan are both aspects of one. Lucifer is a more positive and bright aspect. Satan is the darker more aggressive towards God aspect.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
"In biblical sources the Hebrew term the satan describes an adversarial role. It is not the name of a particular character. Although Hebrew storytellers as early as the sixth century B.C.E. occasionally introduced a supernatural character whom they called the satan, what they meant was any one of the angels sent by God for the specific purpose of blocking or obstructing human activity."
[Elaine Pagels, "The Origin of Satan," 1995]

seraphimoflucifer

Seraphim Of The Most High
Well... I consider them separate beings, because Lucifer is known as the light bearer/bringer, and Satan is the Adversary. Both of them rebelled against Jahova, Satan was kind of like Lucifers second in command, if you know what i mean :).

Lucifer is the first son of Jahova, which makes him Jesus' older brother. He fell from heaven when he rebelled against Jahova. To me he is the symbol of rebellion, wisdom, intellect and individual thinking.

Very intresting, I agree about your correlation with Lvcifer and Satan but I must ask what evidence displays Lvcifer as the elder brother of Jesus ? :confused:

The Jews really twisted the religion and thats thier own problem. They'll be dealt with. If we look to the pre abramic faiths such as eastern star and sumerian we find the descriptive characteristics of thier deities are identitcal, and are in complete opposition to the abramic beliefs. Most all ancient religions relate to the Most High as the light bearer. SOme mistakenly assumed this was the sun, and the moon the lesser. But the elightened knew the power behind the sun and the moon, in an ancient metaphysical way, was the light bearer, and his angels were his teachers to mankind. Many of which were worshipped according to thier godliness.

To sum it up.
The ancient jews accused any who sought knowledge as sorcerors. They were condemned. If they wished to understand anything, they were following the adversary, satan, which is nonexistant mythical entity inside of every man.
All other religions center around the gathering of wisdom and knowledge to bring about mass enlightenment. Because without collective conscious there can be no evolution of technology. When man was created he had nothing except the skin he was in, and the dirt he was over. It was left to him to find his roots outside of that dirt. If he chose to be bound to it, he was. But if he sought knowledge through experimentation, he discovered, and he shared.
I guess if the jews had it there way we'd all be living in straw huts and drinking filthy water, and eating worminfested meat.:eek:

Perhaps a trip through the psuedepagrapha will better enlighten one to understand the differences.

kid

Sireal

Setian
Lucifer and Satan are both constructs that originate from the Christian Bible and as that document is cobbled together from much Older sources, these constructs L&S are about as valid as the Christian religion itself and will never escape the problems associated with it or their connection to a RHP creator being. The First Form and originator of these constructs- Satan and Lucifer- is Set-the Principle of Isolate intelligence, Long before there was a Hebrew creator god!

Xafwak

XFWK
Lucifer and Satan are both constructs that originate from the Christian Bible and as that document is cobbled together from much Older sources, these constructs L&S are about as valid as the Christian religion itself and will never escape the problems associated with it or their connection to a RHP creator being. The First Form and originator of these constructs- Satan and Lucifer- is Set-the Principle of Isolate intelligence, Long before there was a Hebrew creator god!

You are right. Names Lucifer and Satan carry a christian burden. But they are valid names nevertheless. I could call my deity Set, but that would associate me very strongly to the Temple of Set. If I call him Satan, I don´t have to bear the burden of someone else´s dogma.

Besides, I don´t really care what others think about me calling myself satanist. The only reason I don´t call myself setian is that I don´t agree with everything Temple of Set teaches.

Sireal

Setian
You are right. Names Lucifer and Satan carry a christian burden. But they are valid names nevertheless. I could call my deity Set, but that would associate me very strongly to the Temple of Set. If I call him Satan, I don´t have to bear the burden of someone else´s dogma.

Besides, I don´t really care what others think about me calling myself satanist. The only reason I don´t call myself setian is that I don´t agree with everything Temple of Set teaches.

I never said they weren't valid, only as valid as their Source ;) and fraught with many of the same difficulties of definition. The Temple of Set has no dogma, except Xeper, so I'm not sure what you mean by that? Call yourself what you like, that isn't an issue here, but there is far more dogma in Satanism/Luciferianism wading through their obvious connection to the RHP, so on some level you burden yourself with much more dogma than I would consider healthy. Unless you have been Setian well into the II* you likely know very little of what/how the Temple teaches and I believe you have stated as much elsewhere on this forum yet have been bold enough to use our dogma (Xeper) in one of your posts. So what do you Know about what the Temple of Set teaches? and what do you not agree with?

Xafwak

XFWK
I never said they weren't valid, only as valid as their Source ;) and fraught with many of the same difficulties of definition. The Temple of Set has no dogma, except Xeper, so I'm not sure what you mean by that? Call yourself what you like, that isn't an issue here, but there is far more dogma in Satanism/Luciferianism wading through their obvious connection to the RHP, so on some level you burden yourself with much more dogma than I would consider healthy. Unless you have been Setian well into the II* you likely know very little of what/how the Temple teaches and I believe you have stated as much elsewhere on this forum yet have been bold enough to use our dogma (Xeper) in one of your posts. So what do you Know about what the Temple of Set teaches? and what do you not agree with?

I used the word xeper because it fit what I meant (which was self-improvement).

The mere fact that ToS is an organization gives me a certain doubt towards it. Why should a LHP follower be in an organization to practice that path?

The second problem is magic. I don´t believe in such. I use rituals, but they are not magical in nature. LHP is purely religious and philosophical to me.

Thirdly the setian philosophy isn´t to my taste. It has much in common with mine, but not everything I can agree with.

I don´t think that "Satan" is as restrictive, because Christians may call him Satan, but anybody who knows a single bit of satanism knows that anti-Christianity isn´t common among satanists and therefore he really has no prejudices as to what I believe.

I would call myself setian if I didn´t call myself satanist. :yes:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
"In biblical sources the Hebrew term the satan describes an adversarial role. It is not the name of a particular character. Although Hebrew storytellers as early as the sixth century B.C.E. occasionally introduced a supernatural character whom they called the satan, what they meant was any one of the angels sent by God for the specific purpose of blocking or obstructing human activity."
[Elaine Pagels, "The Origin of Satan," 1995]

A rare occasion that we agree....but yes!

Lucifer is the personal name of an angel.
Satan is a proper noun, but speaks to the spirit of....intention of...the practice of....being an adversary.

I think the confusion arouse from the practice of capitalizing the first word of a sentence (as I just did), and the practice of capitalizing a proper name. If you read an article of such topic, while not using that distinction....I can see how confusion can set in.
Then of course, the mistake multiplies as it is repeated by all those, who fail to make the distinction.
Centuries go by...and for lack of careful discernment....the correction rarely comes up.

David69

Angel Of The North
I would say Lucifer and Satan are both aspects of one. Lucifer is a more positive and bright aspect. Satan is the darker more aggressive towards God aspect.

:yes: they are two aspects of one... Well actually more than that...
Lucifer is dark and light as whole (9) then theres (6) and (3)
dark=666. light=333 (for me knowledge comes in threes, three at a time!)